IGNORED

Is it time for 4-4-1-1 again?

The Journalist

Now then, it’s not the two up front some obsess over but it’s the shape that’s seen us play our best football under Lee Johnson.

It’ll also involve moving Josh Brownhill back out to the right - at least in the variation of personnel I’d opt for, primarily to accommodate both Han-Noah Massengo and Niclas Eliasson.

I suspect Lee Johnson would make an argument for Andreas Weimann on the right and Brownhill in the middle, mind you, and I could see that’d give you more legs and experience.

My lot, though...

Bentley

Pereira - Kalas - Williams - Rowe

Brownhill - Nagy - Massengo - Eliasson

Palmer

Diedhiou

I just... don’t see what base you don’t have covered there.

I don’t see having Brownhill in that position as a problem, because he will naturally float inside in possession, which will in turn allow Pedro Pereira/Jack Hunt to overlap and provide width, with Adam Nagy giving you that cover behind.

Ultimately, the biggest challenge any manager faces is fitting all of their best technical footballers into any given XI without sacrificing defensive solidity - and we’d all agree that’s not a balance we’re getting right at home currently.

5 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Now then, it’s not the two up front some obsess over but it’s the shape that’s seen us play our best football under Lee Johnson.

It’ll also involve moving Josh Brownhill back out to the right - at least in the variation of personnel I’d opt for, primarily to accommodate both Han-Noah Massengo and Niclas Eliasson.

I suspect Lee Johnson would make an argument for Andreas Weimann on the right and Brownhill in the middle, mind you, and I could see that’d give you more legs and experience.

My lot, though...

Bentley

Palmer

Diedhiou

I don’t see having Brownhill in that position as a problem, because he will naturally float inside in possession, which will in turn allow Pedro Pereira/Jack Hunt to overlap and provide width, with Adam Nagy giving you that cover behind.

Ultimately, the biggest challenge any manager faces is fitting all of their best technical footballers into any given XI without sacrificing defensive solidity - and we’d all agree that’s not a balance we’re getting right at home currently.

I'm thinking that kind of set up. But just don't like the idea of Palmer behind Fam.

But before you get to the strike force, that would probably suit most of our players. Rowe can concentrate on defending and just feeding it simply to Eliasson who can hug the touch line. Brownhill looks so good whenever he plays right side, and can come in field more. 

Up top is the biggest problem no matter what system we play. I'd say those 2 don't fit well.

Personally, I would try putting Fam on the bench and using Andi Weimann in a false no.9 role with Palmer and Brownhill with him.

Bentley

Kalas   Williams   Baker

Pereira   Smith   Nagy    Rowe   

Brownhill  Weimann  Palmer

This would allow Smith and Nagy to push forward if Periera and Rowe are back and vice versa. We can bring on Fam and a winger in the 2nd half if necessary and revert to 442

1 hour ago, The Journalist said:

My lot, though...

Bentley

Palmer

Diedhiou

Yeah I quite like that idea, could make a case for Weimann over Diedhiou but I think on balance that would work fairly well. Palmer/Weimann Not too dissimilar from the Paterson/Reid attacking combination that worked well in 17/18.

21 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah I quite like that idea, could make a case for Weimann over Diedhiou but I think on balance that would work fairly well. Palmer/Weimann Not too dissimilar from the Paterson/Reid attacking combination that worked well in 17/18.

I would like to see it. Looked good second half against Cardiff, and barely seen it other than that. But I would worry about Palmer's work rate. Pato and Reid both ran their socks off.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I would like to see it. Looked good second half against Cardiff, and barely seen it other than that. But I would worry about Palmer's work rate. Pato and Reid both ran their socks off.

That is true, I think he's the only player we have that's creative enough and can play centrally in the current squad though

Bentley 

pereira   Kalas  Williams   Dasilva 

Smith         Nagy

Brownhill        Palmer          Eliason 

Weimann 

solid midfield base, creativity, just lacking a Benik Afobe really. No matter what system we play it’s blatantly obvious we will struggle to put chances away with our current strikers.

would like to get massengo in somewhere aswell. 

4141 I like best I think.

Bentley

Back 4

Nagy

Eliasson Brownhill Smith/Massengo COD

Diedhiou/Weimann

I’ll concede this would work better with Afobe. Someone who can run and hold the ball up. Though thought Fam played well yesterday so I’d probably go with him. 

Midfield this allows Brownhill to be more forward and allows Massengo or Korey to win the ball higher up the pitch. With Massengo we saw some glimpses of him making late runs into the box. 

I am not too convinced by COD but not sure who else to put out there. Think Eliasson prefers the right and Palmer doesn’t like being wide either. Another option for me could be Rowe on the left when Dasilva is fit. Only thing with that is playing our only LB at the same time which could be risky. But Rowe has shown the ability to find space on the back post. Missed a great chance yesterday but has scored a couple important goals for us. I guess another couple options would be Watkins and Semenyo so we could make it work but that would be our weakest position imo. 

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I'm thinking that kind of set up. But just don't like the idea of Palmer behind Fam.

But before you get to the strike force, that would probably suit most of our players. Rowe can concentrate on defending and just feeding it simply to Eliasson who can hug the touch line. Brownhill looks so good whenever he plays right side, and can come in field more. 

Up top is the biggest problem no matter what system we play. I'd say those 2 don't fit well.

I completely agree going forward, but does Eliasson, Massengo and Weimann in the same team leave you a bit short (literally!) in your own box?

I think we generally got away with that during the 2017-18 season by often effectively fielding four centre-halves, with Bailey Wright and Hörður Magnússon at full-back. And, of course, Marlon Pack is excellent in the air for a central player.

2 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

I completely agree going forward, but does Eliasson, Massengo and Weimann in the same team leave you a bit short (literally!) in your own box?

I think we generally got away with that during the 2017-18 season by often effectively fielding four centre-halves, with Bailey Wright and Hörður Magnússon at full-back. And, of course, Marlon Pack is excellent in the air for a central player.

I think Pereira and Rowe are actually pretty good in the air, so with Williams and Kalas as well, that may be enough. 

Yes it may weaken us a bit on corners, though if we had everyone well organised then I don't see why we couldn't be fine.

I always believe in defending corners it's vital to get close to the player and do all you can to put them off their header, more so than actually winning the header.

Even if it does weaken us in that area slightly, we hopefully become much stronger in other areas so worth doing.

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think Pereira and Rowe are actually pretty good in the air, so with Williams and Kalas as well, that may be enough. 

Yes it may weaken us a bit on corners, though if we had everyone well organised then I don't see why we couldn't be fine.

I always believe in defending corners it's vital to get close to the player and do all you can to put them off their header, more so than actually winning the header.

Even if it does weaken us in that area slightly, we hopefully become much stronger in other areas so worth doing.

Ultimately, it’s splitting hairs a bit either way. The top and tail of that system is you end up with a team that includes Palmer, Eliasson and Massengo without looking open.

1 hour ago, The Journalist said:

Ultimately, it’s splitting hairs a bit either way. The top and tail of that system is you end up with a team that includes Palmer, Eliasson and Massengo without looking open.

Yep. I just wish we'd try something different from what we are at the moment.

It sounds like I am being very fussy considering where we are in the league, only lost 2 all season. But I feel we should be able to play much better than we are with the quality we have.

Yes we are missing a top quality striker. Fam very good at what he does, Weimann very good at what he does. Neither seem to be the answer but get a quality looking midfield together, 5 of them, in a 451, we have so much quality in that area. And have one up top and I am sure the ball will find it's way into the back of the net if we play great stuff and are regularly attacking a teams goal.

4 hours ago, The Journalist said:

My lot, though...

Bentley

Palmer

Diedhiou

Palmer and Fam don’t work together. Weimann also needs to play for me. For home games and most away games I’d go 442 with Fam and Weimann up top and O’Dowda and Eliasson out wide. For tough away games 5 at the back 

5 hours ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Palmer and Fam don’t work together. Weimann also needs to play for me. For home games and most away games I’d go 442 with Fam and Weimann up top and O’Dowda and Eliasson out wide. For tough away games 5 at the back 

Owers said yesterday on RB,  that he couldn't understand why LJ took COD off instead of playing him on the left with Eliasson on the right, thought it would have caused more problems to their defence, especially as they only had ten men.

Wouldn’t mind doing this against West Brom

Bentley

Hunt

Williams

Baker

Rowe

Nagy

Smith

Brownhill

Weimann

Diedhiou

Eliasson

This is assuming Hunt is back and Moore and Kalas are still injured (if Kalas is back I’d start him ahead of Baker). Similar system to last time when we played West Brom but a proper holding midfielder in place of a makeshift one in Webster. Nagy would be vital I keeping Pereira quiet who’s probably the best player in the league at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Wouldn’t mind doing this against West Brom

Bentley

Hunt

Williams

Baker

Rowe

Nagy

Smith

Brownhill

Weimann

Diedhiou

Eliasson

This is assuming Hunt is back and Moore and Kalas are still injured (if Kalas is back I’d start him ahead of Baker). Similar system to last time when we played West Brom but a proper holding midfielder in place of a makeshift one in Webster. Nagy would be vital I keeping Pereira quiet who’s probably the best player in the league at the moment. 

Bit narrow.

On 24/11/2019 at 09:26, The Journalist said:

My lot, though...

Bentley

Palmer

Diedhiou

Lee Johnson owes me a beer for picking his midfield for him today.

The first time that combination has ever started a game and we put five goals on a team. Cheers, lads. ?

Archived