IGNORED

Assombalonga unplayable

slartibartfast

13 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Yep. Imagine what he could do for us.

Disappointed we didn't get him in the summer to be honest, but he is way beyond our budget I think.

I don't think he is beyond our budget per se but the way the operating loss holds steady suggests that there is a strict wages budget and the spare money this year went on Kalas, Dasilva, Nagy and Afobe.

We could certainly sign him but we would need to sell some top earners to do so.

When he is good he is very good indeed, but when he is bad he is horrid. (with apologies to Henry Wadsworth Longfellow)

IMO he’s too inconsistent to justify the probable fee and salary it would require to sign him 

Our best chance fell to our Left back I don't think this is Bowen's position. Neither is midfield where our other chance was fluffed from (Palmer scuffing wide late on).  is Bowen winger and we have Eliasson.

As Arsene Wenger once said, "Everyones wife always seems prettier."

8 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Our best chance fell to our Left back I don't think this is Bowen's position. Neither is midfield where our other chance was fluffed from (Palmer scuffing wide late on).  is Bowen winger and we have Eliasson.

As Arsene Wenger once said, "Everyones wife always seems prettier."

The weimann one from the penalty spot and the rodri one at the end in front of goal were bith chances that a top championship striker should have put away. We are hard to beat, but there are a lot of draws already this season, perhaps a fit afobe would have gotten us a few more points?

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

With an eye to January, watching Boro v Hull................this guy is unplayable today !

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Yep. Imagine what he could do for us.

Disappointed we didn't get him in the summer to be honest, but he is way beyond our budget I think.

Inconsistent player. Already got one of those up front 

Afobe is the striker who is best suited for us. I think we'll go into the loan market January and if its true Afobe is looking at a comeback before the end of the season and he picks up where he left off he'll be ours in the summer

Bowen would be good out of all the championship forwards although I'm not sure he'd fit in here, doesn't play Centrally does he? 

5 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

The weimann one from the penalty spot and the rodri one at the end in front of goal were bith chances that a top championship striker should have put away. We are hard to beat, but there are a lot of draws already this season, perhaps a fit afobe would have gotten us a few more points?

Exactly! And undoubtedly he would have.

4 hours ago, paul_fox said:

Afobe is the striker who is best suited for us. I think we'll go into the loan market January and if its true Afobe is looking at a comeback before the end of the season and he picks up where he left off he'll be ours in the summer

Bowen would be good out of all the championship forwards although I'm not sure he'd fit in here, doesn't play Centrally does he? 

Cant see us signing afobe under any circumstances. This is the 2nd time he has had this injury no way will we take the risks when other options out there.

14 minutes ago, Lez said:

Cant see us signing afobe under any circumstances. This is the 2nd time he has had this injury no way will we take the risks when other options out there.

Hypothetically, if he came back in March and scored a goal every other game till the end of the season... we'd be tempted then.

Neither Assombalonga or Bowen will be available in January IMO.

I'm not fully sold on the former either, he is an upgrade on Diedhiou but is he enough of one? Bowen would of course be quality- if we weren't already reasonably stocked in forward based areas I'd also be keen on Grosicki- double signing would be good, in the case of the latter an 18 month deal something like that.

11 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Unfortunately most quality strikers are beyond are budget.

Loan ideas- possibly within budget too.

Adams or Vydra- yes a loan for either would be affordable. Not quite happened for them in PL, but would fit the style we are apparently looking for.

McBurnie- yes he would certainly do the job, though his goal yesterday perhaps makes him less available- someone like McGoldrick would help to link play very nicely too IMO but he certainly won't be available in Jan I wouldn't have thought.

Sometimes it isn't the most expensive player but the right one.

Nketiah too would be great, Gayle also- though hasn't he had injuries this season? That makes me a bit wary.

40 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Helps when you are playing against Boro rather than the second best defence in the league.

They changed there formation got the ball out wide and attacked the opposition. 
We only had Eliasson out wide apart from that we tried to go through the middle. Orders tactics from the sideline need to be different not just sitting there for a point.

Forest had 10 men for 35 mins and we had 5 shots at goal of which none were on target. You are never going to score if you don’t shoot, also our manager needs to attack teams.

We attacked Charlton when we had 10 men but played safe with 11 men Saturday.

15 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

They changed there formation got the ball out wide and attacked the opposition. 
We only had Eliasson out wide apart from that we tried to go through the middle. Orders tactics from the sideline need to be different not just sitting there for a point.

Forest had 10 men for 35 mins and we had 5 shots at goal of which none were on target. You are never going to score if you don’t shoot, also our manager needs to attack teams.

We attacked Charlton when we had 10 men but played safe with 11 men Saturday.

Don't know how compact Middlesbrough were with 10- not very by the sounds!

We did try with Eliasson at times, but Nottingham Forest had a fairly condensed centre- this both even vs 10 can leave you battering against a bit of a wall and open to a quick break.

Zero shots on target is a bit of an indictment.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Loan ideas- possibly within budget too.

Adams or Vydra- yes a loan for either would be affordable. Not quite happened for them in PL, but would fit the style we are apparently looking for.

McBurnie- yes he would certainly do the job, though his goal yesterday perhaps makes him less available- someone like McGoldrick would help to link play very nicely too IMO but he certainly won't be available in Jan I wouldn't have thought.

Sometimes it isn't the most expensive player but the right one.

Nketiah too would be great, Gayle also- though hasn't he had injuries this season? That makes me a bit wary.

At some point surely the club will pay the going rate for a proven striker. I do not advocate throwing fortunes away but it appears to be what is ,has and will continue to hold the club back.

Archived