IGNORED

Assombalonga unplayable

slartibartfast

7 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

At some point surely the club will pay the going rate for a proven striker. I do not advocate throwing fortunes away but it appears to be what is ,has and will continue to hold the club back.

If we could get Adams, Vydra- or though less likely, McBurnie on loan- why not?

The big fee isn't always the right fee.

Price tag doesn't always correlate- who would you have in mind, out of interest?

Should also say they aren't my top, top choices- but one of those would definitely improve us. Gayle or Nketiah would be great though injury risk or injuries this season, is a bit of a concern- Marriott if he became available I could see doing well.

How much did Zohore cost WBA this summer? How much did Robson-Kanu cost? One has 4 goals and one has 2. Not saying either would be for me, but a fine example right there.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't know how compact Middlesbrough were with 10- not very by the sounds!

We did try with Eliasson at times, but Nottingham Forest had a fairly condensed centre- this both even vs 10 can leave you battering against a bit of a wall and open to a quick break.

Zero shots on target is a bit of an indictment.

Middlesbrough were solid done middle but were stretched out wide.

Hull brought on 2 wide players to exploit the width and create space in the middle, endless overlaps and dragging there midfield everywhere. This created space and tired out there team, they cut inside all the time got into the box and dragged balls across the goal.

All we did is give it Eliasson let him swing in a cross and hope we got a lucky bounce.

Not once i can think we of we played through them and created space to drag them out.

5 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Middlesbrough were solid done middle but were stretched out wide.

Hull brought on 2 wide players to exploit the width and create space in the middle, endless overlaps and dragging there midfield everywhere. This created space and tired out there team, they cut inside all the time got into the box and dragged balls across the goal.

All we did is give it Eliasson let him swing in a cross and hope we got a lucky bounce.

Not once i can think we of we played through them and created space to drag them out.

Thanks.

It sounds like- I'd need to try to watch extended highlights but it sounds like well though Hull played, possibly a bit of naivety from Middlesbrough too. From Woodgate?

Me, in that scenario I'd concede the flanks a bit and look to hit on the break through the middle. Bit like we saw Saturday at times at 11 v 10- I remember us trying to get a few crosses in but it always hit someone.

However yes, Eliasson swinging in a cross with a lucky bounce is a bit one dimensional predictable- think we had or attempted 33 crosses Saturday? Would have to dig it out.

Agreed- we can and must do better, but I'd also suspect that having seen both at AG, Nottingham Forest better equipped to defend and even spring a few breaks with 10, than Middlesbrough.

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Neither Assombalonga or Bowen will be available in January IMO.

I'm not fully sold on the former either, he is an upgrade on Diedhiou but is he enough of one? Bowen would of course be quality- if we weren't already reasonably stocked in forward based areas I'd also be keen on Grosicki- double signing would be good, in the case of the latter an 18 month deal something like that.

Bowen is in the 15 - 20 mill range .........he will be Premiership bound. We just could not afford him

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Loan ideas- possibly within budget too.

Adams or Vydra- yes a loan for either would be affordable. Not quite happened for them in PL, but would fit the style we are apparently looking for.

McBurnie- yes he would certainly do the job, though his goal yesterday perhaps makes him less available- someone like McGoldrick would help to link play very nicely too IMO but he certainly won't be available in Jan I wouldn't have thought.

Sometimes it isn't the most expensive player but the right one.

Nketiah too would be great, Gayle also- though hasn't he had injuries this season? That makes me a bit wary.

Zero chance of McBurnie. Why would he come here when he is minimum bench for Sheffield United. He starts some games

Bonne for me would be a cracking signing 

7 hours ago, RedDave said:

Zero chance of McBurnie. Why would he come here when he is minimum bench for Sheffield United. He starts some games

Yea I don't think he is realistic, although while watching the Man Yoo game was thinking what's Leon Clarke up to these days? Can Deffo score at this level and doesn't seem to have had much of a sniff this season or the back end of last season, not sure if he's injured through. 

11 hours ago, RedDave said:

4 hours ago, Spud55 said:

Yea I don't think he is realistic, although while watching the Man Yoo game was thinking what's Leon Clarke up to these days? Can Deffo score at this level and doesn't seem to have had much of a sniff this season or the back end of last season, not sure if he's injured through. 

Yeah, it's pretty unlikely overall McBurnie- just his relative lack of gametime of late made me wonder.

Clarke is an interesting one, weren't we linked with him before in fact, one January? He's only played 13 mins in the League and one League Cup game though this season- worry about his fitness!

Archived