IGNORED

Poll: how would you feel about LJ leaving?

Fordy62

If Johnson left tomorrow, what would be your overriding emotion?  

706 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Whilst walking out of the ground yesterday I did wonder, for the first time ever, if Johnson has taken us a far as he can. Perhaps a fresh face with new ideas (and transfer targets) can take us to another level? Maybe one from abroad like Farke, Wagner or Nuno I don't know.

I think it would be a disappointment if he left. 

Looking at things objectively he’s taken us from looking like we were heading straight back to league one to a top 6 side, not as instantly as some would like but he’s built an ethos around the club that we haven’t had for a long time.

Its not just on the pitch either, the academy is doing better than ever, we’re getting our highest crowds for years, we’ve become well renowned for our prowess in the transfer market. That’s not all solely down to LJ but it’s no surprise that him coming here has coincided with all of that. 

On the pitch things haven’t been great but we are 7th, level with 4th, in a highly competitive division, loads of clubs would take that.

Maybe he’s taken us as far as he can, but if we are to finish top 10 this season and someone else is brought on I fear it may be a huge mistake

I think he deserves to continue what he’s building.  Should he get a better offer elsewhere and decide to move, good luck to him.  He’s got the club at heart, and although he’s not the messiah, he’s doing a good job.

What is interesting is that the likes of Potter got the Brighton gig and I don’t remember LJ getting a mention.

10 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I think it would be a disappointment if he left. 

Looking at things objectively he’s taken us from looking like we were heading straight back to league one to a top 6 side, not as instantly as some would like but he’s built an ethos around the club that we haven’t had for a long time.

Its not just on the pitch either, the academy is doing better than ever, we’re getting our highest crowds for years, we’ve become well renowned for our prowess in the transfer market. That’s not all solely down to LJ but it’s no surprise that him coming here has coincided with all of that. 

On the pitch things haven’t been great but we are 7th, level with 4th, in a highly competitive division, loads of clubs would take that.

Maybe he’s taken us as far as he can, but if we are to finish top 10 this season and someone else is brought on I fear it may be a huge mistake

What you’ve stated is spot on, and it’s your last paragraph which rings to me we are the next stage of evolution, and I don’t think Johnson is part of that evolution.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think if we're top 8, that's a big achievement considering the injuries.

11th/12th again with a losing run and perhaps its time for a change. Not necessarily because he's done anything wrong, just a change of impetus and momentum might be needed.

Birmingham decided a change of impetus was needed

I didn’t rate him as a player. I’ve been sort of ok with him as a manager, with the usual peaks and troughs of him being in/out of favour. Like the idea of stability.

However, as the number of other comparable teams achieve the ‘promised land’ - Sheffield Utd the latest - I’m beginning to seriously question the merits of loyalty. 

I get the strategy but I don’t get the likes of CoD, Pato and many other of the ‘busy bees’. I massively question our current lack of any identity and any real ‘final third’ pattern of play or partnerships. 

Frankly, we’re woefully boring at home and have been for ages. 

No good complaining about bad luck up front, you need four quality strikers and two attacking playmakers in the squad. Quality strikers could have included Fammy and Andi as the two back ups. Afobe was a punt with injury risk - so at the start of the season we were at least one dependable, top quality striker short. 

The attacking playmakers, Sammy and Kasey were punts (the later at £4+ million !!!), Pato and CoD never going to be. Possibly, Brownhill could have been the man but for covering injuries elsewhere - but that too would have been a punt. So short of one quality playmaker. 

So we’ve muddled through and if we get to January in touch with the play-offs we’ve done well points-wise, despite boring the arses of people at home. 

Just hope there’s big sums in the transfer kitty that SL is prepared to release to address the forward issues and we have got real quality already lined up for signing at the start of the window. If there’s not and LJ knew that he was using all available finance upon the Summer,  he will only have himself to blame and will need to fall on his sword sooner rather than later. 

44 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I am not LJ out by any means but I’d be happy of he took a job elsewhere. Feels like things on the pitch are stagnating a bit and honestly feels like a new direction every year.

Feels like we are the most unstable stable team in the division. I mean if you look teams like Leeds, Preston, Brentford all the same every season and may lose a piece but add a direct replacement. Whereas we lose a Reid sign a Weimann. Lose a Webster sign a Williams. Lose a Pack sign a Nagy. It isn’t always a bad thing but seems like a new style of play every season and that is why we always fall apart late because when we are tired and injured in March and April we don’t have the basics to rely on. Those teams I mentioned could play some of their passes blindfolded it feels like. 

Also don’t think he has grown that much tactically. Possibly grown more rigid in his ways even when not working. Still too reactionary for me. Hesitant to make switches at times when we are poor. 

I think he deserves a lot of credit for what he has done here but I don’t see him taking us to the next level. It is a tough one because if he left I am not sure there is a replacement I know of I’d completely love. Hughton for example I think could get us promoted but I wouldn’t love him at the next level. I’d like Alex Neil but can’t imagine him leaving Preston for us(def not now but even if he could choose in the summer if we were both still in the division). 

So yea, I’d be happy/excited for the change. I’d know it could go terribly wrong but the change could freshen the club up a bit imo.

A number of the things in your post are either untrue or contradictory.

More rigid in his ways, and too reactionary?

Hesitant to make a change (and still too reactionary...) yet will make a double sub at HT if necessary.

Just now, TammyAB said:

Rowett

Most overrated manager in this division

As our pantomime villain Warnock once said ‘LJ has the dream ticket’  He has.  The poll was not about  our thoughts , but a vote.   TBH apart from us being an established championship side he has actually achieved nothing yet.  Cannot see him being head hunted by a Prem side so he will go no where unless he actually achieves something tangible, and that is promotion to the top table. 
And unless we sort out how to be more effective at the Gate still a way off. 
interesting times mind. Big Jan coming up 

6 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

SL really, really, does not like sacking managers. 

And add an extra "really" for a friend of the family.

So unless LJ left of his own accord, or our form fell off of a cliff it's not going to happen, IMO.

100%.

He may, at some point, leave of his own accord, he is an ambitious bloke with no lack of self belief, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

20 minutes ago, RedDave said:

This is our best team since the 70s and all whilst selling our best players and fans wouldn’t mind him leaving. Quite unbelievable really. 

Best squad in my time watching the club, which extends back to the 60s. I quite agree. The missing piece is the manager to take them that step forward. Maybe we have him? I suspect not I'm afraid. I'd say 'thanks Lee, good effort' and then get someone who's been there and done it. 

2 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

100%.

He may, at some point, leave of his own accord, he is an ambitious bloke with no lack of self belief, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

I was thinking the other day...who was the last City manager to be poached by another, better, side...Joe Jordan? Anyone else?

1 hour ago, Redandproud said:

Why? Everyone has there opinion,I've never liked LJ, so that makes me a gashead,and I've supported city for 50+ yrs

I'm on 70:years supporting and I don't hate/dislike/mistrust LJ.

I just believe that his tactics are the same as his father. Cautious, unadventurous, trying not to lose rather than being more positive. And very boring. He's had plenty of time and financial backing but seems stuck in a rut where, we are close to top six but not good enough to really challenge for promotion.

So move on and find someone who is a winner!

Archived