IGNORED

Poll: how would you feel about LJ leaving?

Fordy62

If Johnson left tomorrow, what would be your overriding emotion?  

706 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've never been a 'Johnson out' fan but boy, the 4 games I've come home to see this season were the Leeds & Luton defeats (our only losses) and our dire 0-0 draws with Swansea & Forest where we barely managed a shot on target, I did manage to catch the Boro, Barnsley & Cardiff games on Sky which wasn't pleasant on the eye, I'm afraid the standard of football is very poor, oh well, back for Charlton away on Boxing Day

3 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Good choice if you don’t mind watching defensively uninspiring football.

Hughton took Newcastle up to the premier league as champions of the championship (they were unbeaten at home for the whole of that season, including league and cup games) and he took Brighton up to the premier league as runners up in the championship and he took Birmingham into the championship play offs and his Norwich side finished 11th in the premier league -  were these notable achievements punctuated by defensive, boring football? Genuine question Sir Geoff, this isn’t a dig at all ... I just know he’s been a successful guy but I don’t have particularly detailed knowledge of how his teams have regularly performed ...

Bizarre poll which despite the OPs protestations is heavily slanted with options for those who'd like to see him gone. I'm at a loss why anyone wants rid of a manager who has overseen year on year improvement since being appointed and is likely to do so again this year whether or not we get promoted. It's a definite stay for me. 

I don't particularly buy into this lack of adventure at home. We all want to see more wins but he took off a defender and put on an attacking winger on Saturday. The players have to take responsibility for the lack of shots on goal. 

On 24/11/2019 at 20:33, RedRock said:

No good complaining about bad luck up front, you need four quality strikers and two attacking playmakers in the squad. Quality strikers could have included Fammy and Andi as the two back ups. Afobe was a punt with injury risk - so at the start of the season we were at least one dependable, top quality striker short. 

MMmm.... not quite sure that the lack of quality strikers can be laid at Lee's door. Extending your theory, he's done very well with what hes got.

12 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

LJ is also called a tinkerman.

So it's still contradictory to another common criticism of LJ.

He was a builder last season, now he’s a gardener.  I like the bloke, but he does make me chuckle / cringe sometimes.  I’m sure if we supported another team, we’d be picking holes in their manager too.

Theres another thread asking “when did we last play well”, we might find it quite difficult to remember too many games when we played badly too.

I find it quite difficult to be critical overall, I’ll critique little things, but also praise too.

16 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Bizarre poll which despite the OPs protestations is heavily slanted with options for those who'd like to see him gone. I'm at a loss why anyone wants rid of a manager who has overseen year on year improvement since being appointed and is likely to do so again this year whether or not we get promoted. It's a definite stay for me. 

I don't particularly buy into this lack of adventure at home. We all want to see more wins but he took off a defender and put on an attacking winger on Saturday. The players have to take responsibility for the lack of shots on goal. 

As the OP, do you really consider it heavily slanted with options for wanting him gone? 

The options are akin to the standard survey responses of:

strongly agree

agree

neither agree nor disagree

disagree

strongly disagree  

And who said I wanted rid? I merely said I wouldn’t care that much if he left. That’s not the same.

6 hours ago, pillred said:

My point being is that we have plateaued, and if people are happy with being there or thereabouts fine, how long for instance would you be happy with that? indefinitely, if so well good for you. I know there are some on here who are happy to just be in the championship and have no desire to reach the so called promised land, well I'm not one of them, there must come a time when if we are not progressing a different approach (manager) may be needed we have not reached that time yet but if Steve Lansdown feels it's not working I would hope he would be brave and look for another way forward.

I disagree wholeheartedly that we have plateaued. Far from it.

If we are between 10th and 7th in the league for the next 5 years, never looking like troubling the top 6, having not sold out best players every summer and having invested serious cash on new players, then fine, I’d agree with you and have no problem considering other options.

1 hour ago, StGeorge said:

I would give up coming home if I were you... please?

44 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

That has been suggested more than once

By Mrs Galway Red?! :shocking: 

I'm really shocked that opinions are so divided.

How many newspaper articles, features or plaudits from Premier League managers will it take for the LJ detractors to appreciate what a fortunate position we find ourselves in with a manager like LJ at the helm? He's bright, is learning all the time, has the respect of the players, and appears to be perfectly in sync with SL and his masterplan. We have improved our league standing year on year, and could be on the cusp of something truly amazing. If we were to lose him, for some reason, what do you think the likelihood of finding someone that will slot into the system SL has created? Not likely. You'd be looking at another 3-5 years for someone new to build 'their' team, with 'their' DNA. 

Yes, he makes mistakes. Yes, sometimes his selections or substitutions are a little confusing. But you know what, he has his reasons, and can usually explain his thinking after the fact. We've been incredibly unlucky in terms of injuries, and I think people need to remember how much pressure, money and sheer randomness is involved in football. We are going in the right direction; we would absolutely insane to want to change it now.

Be careful what you wish for.

They called claudio ranieri the tinkerman at chelsea.

Then he pulls of one of the biggest shocks in footballing history with a settled squad.

Ive said before in time following city only jimmy lumsden and gj have made us stable at this level out of god knows how many managers.

I think theres more chance of someone coming in for him that him getting the sack.

10 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

They called claudio ranieri the tinkerman at chelsea.

Then he pulls of one of the biggest shocks in footballing history with a settled squad.

Ive said before in time following city only jimmy lumsden and gj have made us stable at this level out of god knows how many managers.

I think theres more chance of someone coming in for him that him getting the sack.

Watford perhaps. 

Seen a poll on one of their fan twitter sites, Johnson was the clear leader as to who they'd want. 

The club is currently in the best state I have known it, both on and off the pitch, since I started attending games as a young boy in 1981. Expectations have become very high and in a few short years have gone from us just keeping a foothold in the Championship to signing players of real quality and looking at the top end of the table.

At the moment I see no reason for us to get rid of LJ. 

51 minutes ago, Offside said:

The club is currently in the best state I have known it, both on and off the pitch, since I started attending games as a young boy in 1981. Expectations have become very high and in a few short years have gone from us just keeping a foothold in the Championship to signing players of real quality and looking at the top end of the table.

At the moment I see no reason for us to get rid of LJ. 

With respect, that wasn't the OP's question though. He could seek an exit.

20 hours ago, pillred said:

My point being is that we have plateaued, and if people are happy with being there or thereabouts fine, how long for instance would you be happy with that? indefinitely, if so well good for you. I know there are some on here who are happy to just be in the championship and have no desire to reach the so called promised land, well I'm not one of them, there must come a time when if we are not progressing a different approach (manager) may be needed we have not reached that time yet but if Steve Lansdown feels it's not working I would hope he would be brave and look for another way forward.

Not entirely sure how year on year improvement in league position for the past five seasons can be considered plateauing? :blink:

Archived