Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Fordy62

Poll: how would you feel about LJ leaving?

If Johnson left tomorrow, what would be your overriding emotion?  

706 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As our pantomime villain Warnock once said ‘LJ has the dream ticket’  He has.  The poll was not about  our thoughts , but a vote.   TBH apart from us being an established championship side he has actually achieved nothing yet.  Cannot see him being head hunted by a Prem side so he will go no where unless he actually achieves something tangible, and that is promotion to the top table. 
And unless we sort out how to be more effective at the Gate still a way off. 
interesting times mind. Big Jan coming up 

• Like 4

This is our best team since the 70s and all whilst selling our best players and fans wouldn’t mind him leaving. Quite unbelievable really. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

SL really, really, does not like sacking managers. 

And add an extra "really" for a friend of the family.

So unless LJ left of his own accord, or our form fell off of a cliff it's not going to happen, IMO.

6 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

SL really, really, does not like sacking managers. 

And add an extra "really" for a friend of the family.

So unless LJ left of his own accord, or our form fell off of a cliff it's not going to happen, IMO.

100%.

He may, at some point, leave of his own accord, he is an ambitious bloke with no lack of self belief, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RedDave said:

This is our best team since the 70s and all whilst selling our best players and fans wouldn’t mind him leaving. Quite unbelievable really. 

Best squad in my time watching the club, which extends back to the 60s. I quite agree. The missing piece is the manager to take them that step forward. Maybe we have him? I suspect not I'm afraid. I'd say 'thanks Lee, good effort' and then get someone who's been there and done it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Unicorn 1

2 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

100%.

He may, at some point, leave of his own accord, he is an ambitious bloke with no lack of self belief, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

I was thinking the other day...who was the last City manager to be poached by another, better, side...Joe Jordan? Anyone else?

1 hour ago, Redandproud said:

Why? Everyone has there opinion,I've never liked LJ, so that makes me a gashead,and I've supported city for 50+ yrs

I'm on 70:years supporting and I don't hate/dislike/mistrust LJ.

I just believe that his tactics are the same as his father. Cautious, unadventurous, trying not to lose rather than being more positive. And very boring. He's had plenty of time and financial backing but seems stuck in a rut where, we are close to top six but not good enough to really challenge for promotion.

So move on and find someone who is a winner!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The problem whenever this sort of topic comes up is what manager out there is willing to work by our project, can't think of many/if any realistic options

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Pulis? Not that we minded of course!

Haha...I'd forgotten that...never more grateful. By comparison, despite my scepticism,  LJ can stay for as long as he likes!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Redandproud said:

Didn't like him as a player,don't rate him as a coach, don't think he's the one to take us further,need a more experienced manager to take us up,

You don't rate him as a coach, but many knowlegable people in the game rate him quite highly.

What can you see that they can't?

In fairness to Lee Johnson we have a promising up and coming manager...one of the better of the breed. If he was to move on I'd expect to see us upgrade to a 'been there and done that' manager, not pick another rookie.

3 minutes ago, FrozenRobin said:

poor record this year, but promisimg upcoming manager who suits our style

Yes, let's replace 'like for like'...

10 minutes ago, FrozenRobin said:

Joe Edwards maybe worth a punt

better than heckingbottom?

better than lj?

Just now, RedLionLad said:

Yes, let's replace 'like for like'...

thoroughly agree, temporary option though?

2 hours ago, Redandproud said:

Didn't like him as a player,don't rate him as a coach, don't think he's the one to take us further,need a more experienced manager to take us up,

Yet seemingly almost every player that has ever played under him does. I wonder who’s right. 

Edited by BRISTOL86

Total waste of a thread - why even suggest such a thing with the team doing the best we have done for many years..

Yes the football isn’t always the best but a few years ago pretty much everyone would have been delighted to have been looking up all the time and not down.

Why can’t the Mods stop this kind of unnecessary posting!

• Like 1
  • Rovers 1

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Our team in 1989/1990 was our best team since the 70s ....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

I think it would be a disappointment if he left. 

Looking at things objectively he’s taken us from looking like we were heading straight back to league one to a top 6 side, not as instantly as some would like but he’s built an ethos around the club that we haven’t had for a long time.

Its not just on the pitch either, the academy is doing better than ever, we’re getting our highest crowds for years, we’ve become well renowned for our prowess in the transfer market. That’s not all solely down to LJ but it’s no surprise that him coming here has coincided with all of that. 

On the pitch things haven’t been great but we are 7th, level with 4th, in a highly competitive division, loads of clubs would take that.

Maybe he’s taken us as far as he can, but if we are to finish top 10 this season and someone else is brought on I fear it may be a huge mistake

Agree with all this and any speculation about him leaving is a waste of time.

Why ? Because SL has backed him all the way and Steve is not the sort of guy to just walk away from what he believes. 

Steve might change his mind if we get relegated, but there is little chance of that happening this season to the longest serving manager in the Championship.

Why anyone would question his role as Head Coach is a mystery to me. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Our team in 1989/1990 was our best team since the 70s ....

A third tier team wasn’t better than the 8th best team in the second tier in my opinion but each to their own 

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

A third tier team wasn’t better than the 8th best team in the second tier in my opinion but each to their own 

I was thinking of the word ‘team’ - but as you said, opinions differ ... yours is obviously as relevant as anyone’s...

I'd be indifferent, maybe remember the good times i.e. The FA Cup run. 

My issue with LJ is that some of the most effective and exciting football we played was with Most of Cotts squad.

Sine then, for the last year. Its been more negative, we're scared of playing 4 at the back, we sit off, much more than previous, and we can be very slow and ponderous in possession. 

How many games have we had less than 5 shots on target this season? 

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I was thinking of the word ‘team’ - but as you said, opinions differ ... yours is obviously as relevant as anyone’s...

Agreed. I think the highest finishing team is generally the best team. Gary’s team got a lot of luck I reckon. No worries if you disagree 

Edited by RedDave

Would be gutted if he went. 

If I had to think of a new manager then i'd be struggling. Not sure if he would be good enough, but Mark Cooper at FGR has them playing some really great football. I'd want a manager that likes to get it down and pass the ball.

Obviously LJ aint going anywhere anyway. He'd be mad to go almost anywhere, and yes that includes prem clubs. Goes to most of them and he's out of a job in a few months if he doesn't do great straight away.

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Agreed. I think the highest finishing team is generally the best team. Gary’s team got a lot of luck I reckon. No worries if you disagree 

Yeh sure, I just loved that 1989/1990 squad - couldn’t give a shit that we finished second to da gas - we beat Brum 0-4 away, we beat Swansea 0-5 away, we beat Cardiff 0-3 away, we beat Walsall 0-2 away, we beat Fulham 0-1 away, we beat Chester 0-3 away, we beat Fulham 5-1 at home - and in the midst of all that we got dicked 6-0 by Tranmere and 5-1 by Cambridge in the Cup! What a season!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yeh sure, I just loved that 1989/1990 squad - couldn’t give a shit that we finished second to da gas - we beat Brum 0-4 away, we beat Swansea 0-5 away, we beat Cardiff 0-3 away, we beat Walsall 0-2 away, we beat Fulham 0-1 away, we beat Chester 0-3 away, we beat Fulham 5-1 at home - and in the midst of all that we got dicked 6-0 by Tranmere and 5-1 by Cambridge in the Cup! What a season!

That was my second season as a fan, born in 1981, so will always live with me. And plus football was much better back then 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Yet seemingly almost every player that has ever played under him does. I wonder who’s right. 

Albie said he was a good coach too.  Does the Head-Coach need more than being a good coach, e.g. does the Sales Manager need to be the best Salesman?  I don’t doubt he’s excellent on the training ground.  I do have a few question marks about what goes on during the 90 minutes during a game.  Not saying he’s bad, just think there are better tacticians out there who read the game better.  I think he could do with a different pair of eyes on the bench or up in the stands to help him in this area.  I might be miles off the mark, but that is my view.

Its one of those things where as an outsider, it might all be answered if you could could spend a day shadowing him.  I did like the Charlton post-match presser where he explained his subs.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

How do you know that? “Almost every player that has played under LJ rates him as a coach” ... that’s a very big assertion - look forward to the evidence - I’d estimate that ‘almost every player’ would be about 96% ..... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I reckon he could still do a job ...

8D88CEA5-E719-4BA7-A93A-20F3A5E3CC87.jpeg

....at the pie stall?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I'm on 70:years supporting and I don't hate/dislike/mistrust LJ.

I just believe that his tactics are the same as his father. Cautious, unadventurous, trying not to lose rather than being more positive. And very boring. He's had plenty of time and financial backing but seems stuck in a rut where, we are close to top six but not good enough to really challenge for promotion.

So move on and find someone who is a winner!

You think he is clueless, you said as much the other day.

That suggest there at least some dislike towards LJ.

Until we go up or win a national or international trophy then LJ will be considered the ‘ Pochettino ‘ of the Championship.

In answer to the , slightly divisive , question, it would all depend on the circumstances of his leaving. 

If he left us in a better position than when he arrived I would be thankful for the immense dedication and energy he’s given to the club . 

If he leaves after having an affair with Maggie Lansdown, I would consider him a very naughty boy .  

• Haha 1

Until we actually sign (not loan) a proven goalscorer we are going no-where; Afobe was loaned in this season and was injured maybe we can perm sign him for a start if his injury is fully recoverable? even that would not be enough as we would still have no cover for him.

He was not our first choice for sure, so why can we not get the type of player we need ?  is it because we dont have the street cred of other teams or just dont/cant pay the money for them.

Is this in fact down to Lee, Steve someone else or FFP?

So back to the thread title is Lee doing his best given what he is given and will any other manager be able to get more from others that Lee cannot?; Lee certainly needs to be more agressve with his tatics/player selection and requirements from the top table imo.

If he decided to go (doubt it) it would be most likley that we would bring in someone the same who will tow the line and take whats given from above

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

How do you know that? “Almost every player that has played under LJ rates him as a coach” ... that’s a very big assertion - look forward to the evidence - I’d estimate that ‘almost every player’ would be about 96% ..... 

I love how you deliberately partially quote me to pick an argument - your constant scouring every thread to nit pick people or pull them up on points of grammar is really dull. 

I said ‘seemingly’ (as you know - after all you deliberately altered my quote to remove it!) and it’s an opinion (again hence ‘seemingly’) that I’ve drawn based on the players I’ve heard discussing his coaching, most recently Wilbraham in his interview.

Even Magnússon’s dad on here - who clearly didn’t like Johnson - said that Hörður thought highly of him as a coach. 

Edited by BRISTOL86
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Until we actually sign (not loan) a proven goalscorer we are going no-where

With the greatest of respect loan or perm makes no difference to our ability to get out of the league in any given season. 

WBA did ok despite Gayle not being their player and we’ve seen it ourselves with Tammy - it wasn’t a lack of a permanent striker that stopped us going up that season. Also at almost any other club in the league Nketiah would be playing every minute and would probably get 20+. Villa got promoted with a team full of loanees and Mitrovic pretty much single handedly dragged Fulham up  

Loan or perm makes no odds if a goal scorer is the missing part of the puzzle. 

For me the real issue is lack of chances created rather than lack of goals per se, but to be expected when we play so negatively and start games with 5 defenders and all of our creative players on the bench. 

Edited by BRISTOL86
  • Like 1

LJ’s Statement after Forrest sums him up:

“Sometimes Bailey Wright gets some unfair criticism from the support base - but let me tell you, he's one of the best professionals I've worked with and the best captain I've worked with and it's certainly good to see him in mind and body extremely fit.”

Deflecting the truth of his actions and shifting the blame!  I agree with all of that except the target of the criticism!  Dissatisfaction amongst the fans was actually directed at LJ, due to Bailey being played when unfit, despite replacements being available. LJ repeatedly picked him when he was below par and left subs too late to change the game!  

• Like 2

Dear me those advocating LJ being replaced need to be careful what they are wishing for. We’re sat 7th in a tough league, lost just 2 games, established in the championship, have stability and have a decent squad of players just lacking a top striker who might have been Afobe. When we lost him we also lost the creative spark of Palmer.

Previously  I was not LJ’s biggest fan but I suppose I’ve been converted and as long as we continue to show decent signs of progress as a club I’ll stick with what we have. 

Be careful what you wish for is a sensible starting point. 

I would say, however, that a manager who thinks that playing the same 90 seconds of football down the right hand side over and over and over against 10 men is clearly lacking ideas both in training and on match day. That worries me a lot. 

• Like 3

Did not rate LJ as a player but have always rated him as a good manager and leader. He has matured and is definitely not a league 1 manager and is also a very good championship manager. However still young but the main question probably every one is asking is he the manager to get us to the Premier league at the end of this season. For me he will next season but not this one. Then it comes down to the patience and commitment of the city board which obviously he has 100% backing at this present time.

The supporters are getting frustrated at the moment and a good performance mid week and if the unbeaten record continues then the support will gradually get behind him. We are still doing OK. But what is OK to most ??

I have been dreaming of the premier league since the 70s and those that are old as me appreciate where we are currently sitting but I can totally appreciate the younger ones amongst us that are calling and judging on his future.

LJ will be reading all the negativity on OTIB so lets give him some credit and see where we sit by end of December.

COYR.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1