IGNORED

Poll: how would you feel about LJ leaving?

Fordy62

If Johnson left tomorrow, what would be your overriding emotion?  

706 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

How do you know that? “Almost every player that has played under LJ rates him as a coach” ... that’s a very big assertion - look forward to the evidence - I’d estimate that ‘almost every player’ would be about 96% ..... 

I love how you deliberately partially quote me to pick an argument - your constant scouring every thread to nit pick people or pull them up on points of grammar is really dull. 

I said ‘seemingly’ (as you know - after all you deliberately altered my quote to remove it!) and it’s an opinion (again hence ‘seemingly’) that I’ve drawn based on the players I’ve heard discussing his coaching, most recently Wilbraham in his interview.

Even Magnússon’s dad on here - who clearly didn’t like Johnson - said that Hörður thought highly of him as a coach. 

55 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Until we actually sign (not loan) a proven goalscorer we are going no-where

With the greatest of respect loan or perm makes no difference to our ability to get out of the league in any given season. 

WBA did ok despite Gayle not being their player and we’ve seen it ourselves with Tammy - it wasn’t a lack of a permanent striker that stopped us going up that season. Also at almost any other club in the league Nketiah would be playing every minute and would probably get 20+. Villa got promoted with a team full of loanees and Mitrovic pretty much single handedly dragged Fulham up  

Loan or perm makes no odds if a goal scorer is the missing part of the puzzle. 

For me the real issue is lack of chances created rather than lack of goals per se, but to be expected when we play so negatively and start games with 5 defenders and all of our creative players on the bench. 

LJ’s Statement after Forrest sums him up:

“Sometimes Bailey Wright gets some unfair criticism from the support base - but let me tell you, he's one of the best professionals I've worked with and the best captain I've worked with and it's certainly good to see him in mind and body extremely fit.”

Deflecting the truth of his actions and shifting the blame!  I agree with all of that except the target of the criticism!  Dissatisfaction amongst the fans was actually directed at LJ, due to Bailey being played when unfit, despite replacements being available. LJ repeatedly picked him when he was below par and left subs too late to change the game!  

Dear me those advocating LJ being replaced need to be careful what they are wishing for. We’re sat 7th in a tough league, lost just 2 games, established in the championship, have stability and have a decent squad of players just lacking a top striker who might have been Afobe. When we lost him we also lost the creative spark of Palmer.

Previously  I was not LJ’s biggest fan but I suppose I’ve been converted and as long as we continue to show decent signs of progress as a club I’ll stick with what we have. 

Be careful what you wish for is a sensible starting point. 

I would say, however, that a manager who thinks that playing the same 90 seconds of football down the right hand side over and over and over against 10 men is clearly lacking ideas both in training and on match day. That worries me a lot. 

Did not rate LJ as a player but have always rated him as a good manager and leader. He has matured and is definitely not a league 1 manager and is also a very good championship manager. However still young but the main question probably every one is asking is he the manager to get us to the Premier league at the end of this season. For me he will next season but not this one. Then it comes down to the patience and commitment of the city board which obviously he has 100% backing at this present time.

The supporters are getting frustrated at the moment and a good performance mid week and if the unbeaten record continues then the support will gradually get behind him. We are still doing OK. But what is OK to most ??

I have been dreaming of the premier league since the 70s and those that are old as me appreciate where we are currently sitting but I can totally appreciate the younger ones amongst us that are calling and judging on his future.

LJ will be reading all the negativity on OTIB so lets give him some credit and see where we sit by end of December.

COYR.

6 minutes ago, City oz said:

Did not rate LJ as a player but have always rated him as a good manager and leader. He has matured and is definitely not a league 1 manager and is also a very good championship manager. However still young but the main question probably every one is asking is he the manager to get us to the Premier league at the end of this season. For me he will next season but not this one. Then it comes down to the patience and commitment of the city board which obviously he has 100% backing at this present time.

The supporters are getting frustrated at the moment and a good performance mid week and if the unbeaten record continues then the support will gradually get behind him. We are still doing OK. But what is OK to most ??

I have been dreaming of the premier league since the 70s and those that are old as me appreciate where we are currently sitting but I can totally appreciate the younger ones amongst us that are calling and judging on his future.

LJ will be reading all the negativity on OTIB so lets give him some credit and see where we sit by end of December.

COYR.

So you think we will not get promotion this season but we will in 2020-2021.

What are the factor(s) that will make  it happen then and not now? 

Please enlighten me because I do not see any evidence for this. Zero efforts on target in 95 minutes tells me that his tactics are all wrong. As said in a previous post, give Eliasson the ball, cross it and do that repeatedly for twenty minutes at the end of the game. Tactics?

12 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

A number of the things in your post are either untrue or contradictory.

More rigid in his ways, and too reactionary?

Hesitant to make a change (and still too reactionary...) yet will make a double sub at HT if necessary.

Most overrated manager in this division

Reactionary doesn’t mean what you seem to think it means. Reactionary means conservative and unwilling to make changes.

I am interested to know who people think we are supporting? 
Some of the comments on this thread and across the forum lately, give the impression that we are one of the teams that is trying to get back to the heady heights we are used to. 
We aren’t, we are building a club and a team to try to achieve something that is rare in our history.

There are bound to be periods where people lose confidence in that slow build, but the lack of patience to me is worrying because of the past tendencies to throw the baby out with the bath water.

I'd like an option between utter disappointment and slightly miffed. I think hes doing a great job but if he leaves, we move on. I don't think there are many great candidates out there. People even mentioning the name of pochettino need a strong reality check, we are simply not that big of a draw

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

So you think we will not get promotion this season but we will in 2020-2021.

What are the factor(s) that will make  it happen then and not now? 

Please enlighten me because I do not see any evidence for this. Zero efforts on target in 95 minutes tells me that his tactics are all wrong. As said in a previous post, give Eliasson the ball, cross it and do that repeatedly for twenty minutes at the end of the game. Tactics?

LJ has progressed the club over the past 2/3 years. Most like you are demanding it seems a top 2 spot in the league every week. Ok Saturday performance could of been better. In regards to promotion I still think the club needs one more season in this league either you like it or not and who ever the manager is. We all want the Prem football at Ashton Gate but give LJ some credit and be positive and see where we sit by end of December 

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I love how you deliberately partially quote me to pick an argument - your constant scouring every thread to nit pick people or pull them up on points of grammar is really dull. 

I said ‘seemingly’ (as you know - after all you deliberately altered my quote to remove it!) and it’s an opinion (again hence ‘seemingly’) that I’ve drawn based on the players I’ve heard discussing his coaching, most recently Wilbraham in his interview.

Even Magnússon’s dad on here - who clearly didn’t like Johnson - said that Hörður thought highly of him as a coach. 

You seem a bit paranoid there - and the word ‘seemingly’ isn’t that important - you can’t possibly know that ‘almost every player that has played under LJ rates him’ -  it’s a big, sweeping statement and the two examples you gave are just that, two examples ... but no need to get so defensive and accuse me of all sorts, it’s not that important. Have a good Monday

1 hour ago, dave36 said:

LJ’s Statement after Forrest sums him up:

“Sometimes Bailey Wright gets some unfair criticism from the support base - but let me tell you, he's one of the best professionals I've worked with and the best captain I've worked with and it's certainly good to see him in mind and body extremely fit.”

Deflecting the truth of his actions and shifting the blame!  I agree with all of that except the target of the criticism!  Dissatisfaction amongst the fans was actually directed at LJ, due to Bailey being played when unfit, despite replacements being available. LJ repeatedly picked him when he was below par and left subs too late to change the game!  

Er what?  LJ defends BW against fans’ criticism (which is widespread on OTIB) and you say LJ is blaming BW? That is the most twisted post I have read in months.

The facts are we’ve improved our league position every year under his management. 

As a club, we’re doing everything right off the pitch and we’ll do well to remind ourselves the fortunate position we’re in and how quickly things are improving for the better in almost every facet. This is also getting us noticed and building the reputation of both the club and LJ. 

I personally don’t really warm to LJ as a personality. Far too David Brent at times and I too would prefer to see a settled system and starting 11, regardless of our opponents (ala Liverpool). I can’t help but feels his thirst to tinker and slow reactions to what’s happening on the pitch in front of him is often of his own undoing. It’s a simple game. Can’t help but feel his ambition and energy to eek out the 1%’s here and there with drones and an afternoon in A&E would be better spent drilling our midfield > striker relationships and outlets. 

I think our squad is fantastic. We’re a 15 goal a season (Afobe) striker away from perfection for me. Depth and quality everywhere. The credit to building this current side (whilst losing our best performers each summer) has to go in part to LJ. 

However, I can’t help but feel a Hughton type would squeeze an extra 10-20% out of our current squad and see us as genuine play-off contenders. The infrastructure is there to support it. 

Overall I think LJ is doing a good job, thanks in the most part to the backing he has received. If we continue with the year on year improvement, then he’ll stay and I’m good with that. It’ll only be a matter of time before promotion. 

If we start going backwards or when the improvement stops, I still can’t see SL pulling the trigger. LJ is here for the long haul and the only thing I can see him moving for is a premiership side. That said, I can’t see him risking the comfort he has with us to go to a relegation or even lower half side. Any team above that just wouldn’t risk going with a championship manager whos best record to date is an 8th place finish.

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You seem a bit paranoid there - and the word ‘seemingly’ isn’t that important - you can’t possibly know that ‘almost every player that has played under LJ rates him’ -  it’s a big, sweeping statement and the two examples you gave are just that, two examples ... but no need to get so defensive and accuse me of all sorts, it’s not that important. Have a good Monday

Well actually it is, you’ve quoted me partially on purpose  to make it seem as though I’m stating facts when I’m actually giving an opinion. You couldn’t resist that urge to nit pick my comment and try and make some smart arse comment because it’s what you do to everyone.

Allow me to rephrase though for your benefit:

Every player I’ve heard discuss Johnson’s coaching is complimentary about his ability” 

Better?

And I’m not accusing you of anything, just putting my view across that it’s incredibly tedious to see you pop up on every other thread nit picking people’s spelling/grammar or fact checking everything they write versus Wikipedia to pull someone up on minor errors. 

Some of the stuff you correct people on you’d have no way of knowing rote, so you’re clearly looking it up online after they post so that you can do your ‘actually that’s where you’re wrong’ thing. 

It’s incredibly tedious. Seemingly.

5 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

The facts are we’ve improved our league position every year under his management. 

As a club, we’re doing everything right off the pitch and we’ll do well to remind ourselves the fortunate position we’re in and how quickly things are improving for the better in almost every facet. This is also getting us noticed and building the reputation of both the club and LJ. 

I personally don’t really warm to LJ as a personality. Far too David Brent at times and I too would prefer to see a settled system and starting 11, regardless of our opponents (ala Liverpool). I can’t help but feels his thirst to tinker and slow reactions to what’s happening on the pitch in front of him is often of his own undoing. It’s a simple game. Can’t help but feel his ambition and energy to eek out the 1%’s here and there with drones and an afternoon in A&E would be better spent drilling our midfield > striker relationships and outlets. 

I think our squad is fantastic. We’re a 15 goal a season (Afobe) striker away from perfection for me. Depth and quality everywhere. The credit to building this current side (whilst losing our best performers each summer) has to go in part to LJ. 

However, I can’t help but feel a Hughton type would squeeze an extra 10-20% out of our current squad and see us as genuine play-off contenders. The infrastructure is there to support it. 

Overall I think LJ is doing a good job, thanks in the most part to the backing he has received. If we continue with the year on year improvement, then he’ll stay and I’m good with that. It’ll only be a matter of time before promotion. 

If we start going backwards or when the improvement stops, I still can’t see SL pulling the trigger. LJ is here for the long haul and the only thing I can see him moving for is a premiership side. That said, I can’t see him risking the comfort he has with us to go to a relegation or even lower half side. Any team above that just wouldn’t risk going with a championship manager whos best record to date is an 8th place finish.

Well said 

13 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I am not LJ out by any means but I’d be happy of he took a job elsewhere. Feels like things on the pitch are stagnating a bit and honestly feels like a new direction every year.

Feels like we are the most unstable stable team in the division. I mean if you look teams like Leeds, Preston, Brentford all the same every season and may lose a piece but add a direct replacement. Whereas we lose a Reid sign a Weimann. Lose a Webster sign a Williams. Lose a Pack sign a Nagy. It isn’t always a bad thing but seems like a new style of play every season and that is why we always fall apart late because when we are tired and injured in March and April we don’t have the basics to rely on. Those teams I mentioned could play some of their passes blindfolded it feels like. 

Also don’t think he has grown that much tactically. Possibly grown more rigid in his ways even when not working. Still too reactionary for me. Hesitant to make switches at times when we are poor. 

I think he deserves a lot of credit for what he has done here but I don’t see him taking us to the next level. It is a tough one because if he left I am not sure there is a replacement I know of I’d completely love. Hughton for example I think could get us promoted but I wouldn’t love him at the next level. I’d like Alex Neil but can’t imagine him leaving Preston for us(def not now but even if he could choose in the summer if we were both still in the division). 

So yea, I’d be happy/excited for the change. I’d know it could go terribly wrong but the change could freshen the club up a bit imo.

If I have a criticism of him, it's his curious aversion to 4-3-3 or even a general CM 3. I don't class Palmer as a suitable player in that respect- should play as a '10' or similar up close to Weimann, or if and when he returns, up behind Weimann and Afobe.

A genuine central 3 though. I'm fairly strongly pro it as a system, for medium and long term. I believe it would give us more stability, more control and should in time see the style improve, provide a base for chance creation etc etc- his aversion is something I don't quite get.

30 minutes ago, City oz said:

LJ has progressed the club over the past 2/3 years. Most like you are demanding it seems a top 2 spot in the league every week. Ok Saturday performance could of been better. In regards to promotion I still think the club needs one more season in this league either you like it or not and who ever the manager is. We all want the Prem football at Ashton Gate but give LJ some credit and be positive and see where we sit by end of December 

Nobody is demanding a top 2 spot. What fans want to see is a good attacking team at home and not the boring rubbish we have watched for a while now. 

1 minute ago, Super said:

Nobody is demanding a top 2 finish. What fans want to see is a good attacking team at home and not the boring rubbish we have watched for a while now. 

We are a fairly reactive side quite often- many metrics point to the fact but also the evidence on the pitch does. 

Different Plan needed for Home and away games maybe.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Nobody is demanding a top 2 spot. What fans want to see is a good attacking team at home and not the boring rubbish we have watched for a while now. 

Home and away and depending on who the opponents are brings different tactics. If no one is demanding a top two spot then why are all those negative people on these threads. 7th position is not bad but not great. Please give the team and LJ some support 

Here's a good example.

Was thinking about it but Sheffield United play the same system home and away- or so it seems.

However they change within that framework- some games they are more on the front foot, sometimes they may use that extra man in midfield for security- 2 seasons ago it was at times Brooks behind the striker so a 3-5-1-1 but the chance to really flood the centre.

One of the criticisms is often that we mix it up based on the opposition but most sides do this- a question therefore, is it tinkering but still staying true to our shape/style or is it a different setup and shape, drastically switching every few games?

I understand that you need to adapt at this level but basic framework with some changes within feels like the way to go I think.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Here's a good example.

Was thinking about it but Sheffield United play the same system home and away- or so it seems.

However they change within that framework- some games they are more on the front foot, sometimes they may use that extra man in midfield for security- 2 seasons ago it was at times Brooks behind the striker so a 3-5-1-1 but the chance to really flood the centre.

One of the criticisms is often that we mix it up based on the opposition but most sides do this- a question therefore, is it tinkering but still staying true to our shape/style or is it a different setup and shape, drastically switching every few games?

I understand that you need to adapt at this level but basic framework with some changes within feels like the way to go I think.

They also have excellent wing backs who are great at both sides of the game, which is what you need to make the system viable and something IMO that we don’t have. We are putting square pegs in round holes.

They also have creativity in midfield which we completely lack.

We have a squad that’s ideally suited to a back 4 and wingers IMO yet he won’t set up that way. Which begs the question why recruit those players if you’re then going to play a system that doesn’t suit them and say ‘they don’t play because they don’t fit the system’.

It’s your system and your recruits! 

6 minutes ago, City oz said:

Home and away and depending on who the opponents are brings different tactics. If no one is demanding a top two spot then why are all those negative people on these threads. 7th position is not bad but not great. Please give the team and LJ some support 

Our home tactic is always the same.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Here's a good example.

There was a side in Germany a few years ago, I want to say Mainz, but I'm unsure who it was, other than they weren't one of the main clubs.

Every single game of the season they set up to counter the opposition's strengths.

The result was a surprise European spot.

Yeah the home tatics are the same at home regardless of opposition a lot of neat pretty passes up to the half way line then a slow ponderous pass out wide a check back another sideways pass and repeatand repeat again and again we never look to turn the defence but play in front of  them making it very easy for the oppstion the only out of the seat moment of the entire match was for a wazz at half time boring boring predictalble football week after week

Archived