IGNORED

Pre-Match Build Up

richwwtk

Please please please can somebody switch off Downsy's microphone for five minutes before kickoff?

I have no real issues with the guy the rest of the time, but Saturday was beyond embarrassing, especially the "tension is building" comment, we don't need bloody commentary telling us the players are in the tunnel, we can see it!

Also, what was wrong with the William Tell Overture followed by One For The Bristol City? It was us, and it was fine. The endless loop of the Seven Nation Army riff is tedious and indentikit - just horrible.

Glad that's off my chest.

11 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Please please please can somebody switch off Downsy's microphone for five minutes before kickoff?

I have no real issues with the guy the rest of the time, but Saturday was beyond embarrassing, especially the "tension is building" comment, we don't need bloody commentary telling us the players are in the tunnel, we can see it!

Also, what was wrong with the William Tell Overture followed by One For The Bristol City? It was us, and it was fine. The endless loop of the Seven Nation Army riff is tedious and indentikit - just horrible.

Sorry mate - sit in the Dolman and therefore don’t have a clue what you’re on about

(c) Robbored 2015

15 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Also, what was wrong with the William Tell Overture followed by One For The Bristol City? It was us, and it was fine. The endless loop of the Seven Nation Army riff is tedious and indentikit - just horrible

Lucky you..........I’m in the Dolman and can hear the music but ( by the critical comments on here) kinda glad I can’t make out what Downsy is saying.

If it wasn’t for the big screens I wouldn’t have known who the substitutions were. It’s crap PA system in the Dolman and has been ever since redevelopment and still the club have done nothing about it. It’s an absolute disgrace - it’s such a shame.

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Lucky you..........I’m in the Dolman and can hear the music but ( by the critical comments on here) kinda glad I can’t make out what Downsy is saying.

If it wasn’t for the big screens I wouldn’t have known who the substitutions were. It’s crap PA system in the Dolman and has been ever since redevelopment and still the club have done nothing about it. It’s an absolute disgrace - it’s such a shame.

Pardon ?

39 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

He was annoying me too… and please don't say "ASHTON GATE STADIUM" it's Ashton Gate…

He's probably been told to 'ramp up the excitement' by the powers that be, I always think it has the opposite effect. 

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Any once again, I have to agree with you.

48 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Yeah the 7 nation army thing is naff isn't it. I appreciate what they're trying to do, but comes across as trying too hard. That song has never been associated with the club, and is something I associate with MLS type football. Please bin it.

I really like the Chemical Brothers - 'Galvanize' montage they've done though - think that's pretty good. 

49 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Innocent people getting killed in warzones, poverty in this country is a disgrace, homeless ex soldiers, children not being cared for properly. grenfell fire, lack of support for the NHS, police cuts, mums/dads having to go to foodbanks, OAP finding it hard to heat their homes, thats all absolute disgraces. 

If worrying about a PA at a football ground is an absolute disgrace and a shame, you need to count yourself exceedingly lucky that is all you need to worry about in your retirement.

12 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Innocent people getting killed in warzones, poverty in this country is a disgrace, homeless ex soldiers, children not being cared for properly. grenfell fire, lack of support for the NHS, police cuts, mums/dads having to go to foodbanks, OAP finding it hard to heat their homes, thats all absolute disgraces. 

If worrying about a PA at a football ground is an absolute disgrace and a shame, you need to count yourself exceedingly lucky that is all you need to worry about in your retirement.

No need to turn this thread into a political one AP - you’ll get accused of derailing the thread...........:cool2:

I happen to think that within a spanking new stadium that we don’t have a PA system  in the Dolman that is fit for purpose and yes, it is an absolute disgrace that the likes of MKelly have done bugger all to fix a the sound system which has been complete shambles  since the redevelopment. It wouldn’t surprise me if it’s breaking health and safety regulations.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No need to turn this thread into a political one AP - you’ll get accused of derailing the thread...........:cool2:

I happen to think that within a spanking new stadium that we don’t have a PA system  in the Dolman that is fit for purpose and yes, it is an absolute disgrace that the likes of MKelly have done bugger all to fix a the sound system which has been complete shambles  since the redevelopment. It wouldn’t surprise me if it’s breaking health and safety regulations.

Nothing to do with derailing the thread, just trying to put some perspective into what is a disgrace.

If it was breaking health and safety regulations it would be picked up by now.

28 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Well we might as well not comment about football at all, it's only a game.

This is a very silly way to pick an argument with RR; why not make the same response to the OP, your point is exactly the same.

4 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

Well we might as well not comment about football at all, it's only a game.

This is a very silly way to pick an argument with RR; why not make the same response to the OP, your point is exactly the same.

I'm pretty sure the OP isn't complaining about the PA system? If anything he is saying the PA system is working as he's fed up of hearing Downsy.... So it isn't an awful PA system for all is it?

The club have tried to fix the PA system, they havent been able to its not like it hasnt been looked into. There must be something difficult in order to resolve it.

What more is the club meant to do at it? Keep throwing money at it attemping to fix it, there isnt an endless list of people complaning about the PA. I suspect Mark Kelly has a lot more pressing issues that trying to fix a PA system which yes can be deemed as unfit but they have attempted to fix it.

If it was breaking Health and Safety rules it would had been picked up a long time ago, there will also be a backup PA system in place if there is a need for it.

1 hour ago, AshtonPark said:

I'm pretty sure the OP isn't complaining about the PA system? If anything he is saying the PA system is working as he's fed up of hearing Downsy.... So it isn't an awful PA system for all is it?

The club have tried to fix the PA system, they havent been able to its not like it hasnt been looked into. There must be something difficult in order to resolve it.

What more is the club meant to do at it? Keep throwing money at it attemping to fix it, there isnt an endless list of people complaning about the PA. I suspect Mark Kelly has a lot more pressing issues that trying to fix a PA system which yes can be deemed as unfit but they have attempted to fix it.

If it was breaking Health and Safety rules it would had been picked up a long time ago, there will also be a backup PA system in place if there is a need for it.

You have entirely missed my point.  You are having a go at RR, as usual, by comparing major social and 3rd world issues with what happens at a football ground.  The issue of the OP having a problem with Downsy is far more trivial than an ongoing issue with the PA system, yet you just jump in on RR.  If you wanted to make the point that there are far more important events in the world than the goings on at Ashton Gate I am surprised you didn't jump in on the OP.  But no.

I was at the game on Saturday and was my first this season due to work commitments elsewhere. To be honest its still pretty much the same as last season. The build up was all very flat. Too much focus on trying to be clever with stuff on the screens. Yes the classic moments montage is good, but its not changed much from last time I saw it!

Then watched the Sheffield Utd build up on Sunday and WOW - thats how its done! Big Sheffield Utd anthems getting the crowd going, PA announcer making sure every players name was cheered as loud as possible by reading the team sheet as soon as the players come out rather than quite a few minutes before. Then their club anthem played loud right up to the ref's whistle to kick off. The place was buzzing! 

Kinda reminds me of a job I used to do...... ?️?‍♂️?

2 minutes ago, Tim S said:

I was at the game on Saturday and was my first this season due to work commitments elsewhere. To be honest its still pretty much the same as last season. The build up was all very flat. Too much focus on trying to be clever with stuff on the screens. Yes the classic moments montage is good, but its not changed much from last time I saw it!

Then watched the Sheffield Utd build up on Sunday and WOW - thats how its done! Big Sheffield Utd anthems getting the crowd going, PA announcer making sure every players name was cheered as loud as possible by reading the team sheet as soon as the players come out rather than quite a few minutes before. Then their club anthem played loud right up to the ref's whistle to kick off. The place was buzzing! 

Kinda reminds me of a job I used to do...... ?️?‍♂️?

Yeah they really messed up getting rid of you Tim. In my opinion you understood it far better than the current lot. I totally agree about trying too hard to be 'clever', it doesn't really have any impact with the crowd.

I thought your choice of music was great almost all the time - I remember Knights of Cydonia being played before games at some stage, outstanding choice. The only choice I didn't like was the infamous 'Always look on the bright side of life' after we got relegated (!)

• Admin
On 25/11/2019 at 10:44, Robbored said:

Interesting timing, I just found an old email account from 2016 and had forwarded the below screen shots (quite possibly to RR)

Screenshot_20191126-202336_Gmail.jpg

20191126_202433.jpg

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah they really messed up getting rid of you Tim. In my opinion you understood it far better than the current lot. I totally agree about trying too hard to be 'clever', it doesn't really have any impact with the crowd.

I thought your choice of music was great almost all the time - I remember Knights of Cydonia being played before games at some stage, outstanding choice. The only choice I didn't like was the infamous 'Always look on the bright side of life' after we got relegated (!)

Thanks Phileas - lovely of you to say! I can't really take credit for Knights of Cydonia though - that was a suggestion from someone and Dave Lloyd was the one who pushed for it to be played. Always Look on the Bright Side was just one of those things - some loved it, some hated it. In hindsight, it was a silly choice but at the time we were just trying to make a bad moment seem a little less depressing.

I never really knew the reasons behind the changes to get rid of me, still don't. I would come back in a heartbeat though. But I can't ever see that happening. 

I normally stay in concourse until 15 mins before kick off so do not see the earlier stuff BUT I quite like what I see - I like the best bits and the fact they try and get the countdown to end as the players start walking - much better than anything done previously anyway imo.

12 hours ago, Tim S said:

Thanks Phileas - lovely of you to say! I can't really take credit for Knights of Cydonia though - that was a suggestion from someone and Dave Lloyd was the one who pushed for it to be played.

Ah, very good suggestion. I also used to like Pendulum - Slam when that was played. I also associate 'Status Quo - Rocking All Over The World', "The Liquidator" and that track from Kill Bill with City because I used to enjoy those choices. 

Always Look on the Bright Side was just one of those things - some loved it, some hated it. In hindsight, it was a silly choice but at the time we were just trying to make a bad moment seem a little less depressing.

Yes a very tough choice to make under those circumstances in fairness to you! 

I never really knew the reasons behind the changes to get rid of me, still don't. I would come back in a heartbeat though. But I can't ever see that happening. 

Yep, shame in my opinion. I feel they just try a little too hard at the moment, even looping the 7 nation army riff is a unnecessary and a bit frilly. 

• Admin
4 hours ago, Meh said:

I normally stay in concourse until 15 mins before kick off so do not see the earlier stuff BUT I quite like what I see - I like the best bits and the fact they try and get the countdown to end as the players start walking - much better than anything done previously anyway imo.

But that's the stuff on the screens. 

Already acknowledged above this is decent its the rest of the package that needs addressing 

15 hours ago, Tim S said:

Always Look on the Bright Side was just one of those things - some loved it, some hated it. In hindsight, it was a silly choice but at the time we were just trying to make a bad moment seem a little less depressing.

Personally, I think it was great. On a depressing day, it raised a smile and chuckle from everyone I saw. I think it was only the then-manager who had a real problem with it. And he "had a problem" with lots of things.

We played it at my Monty Python-loving dad's funeral.

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

West Brom last night, just music as the build up, decent tunes too. Hardly any nonsense on the mic until the teams came out. So much better

Yeah thought there's was really good actually. I heard Faithless - Insomnia in there. Birmingham use The Streets - Turn The Page which is a really good choice too.

Meanwhile we have "7 Nation Army" of all things.. the laziest choice possible

On 25/11/2019 at 10:26, AshtonPark said:

:dunno: what on earth brought that response on :facepalm::facepalm:

Archived