IGNORED

Pre-Match Build Up

richwwtk

On 27/11/2019 at 11:35, Red-Robbo said:

Personally, I think it was great. On a depressing day, it raised a smile and chuckle from everyone I saw. I think it was only the then-manager who had a real problem with it. And he "had a problem" with lots of things.

We played it at my Monty Python-loving dad's funeral.

For some reason I remember that moment really clearly - people looked absolutely bemused all around me. I actually think SO'D was quite right to take exception to it!

38 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

For some reason I remember that moment really clearly - people looked absolutely bemused all around me. I actually think SO'D was quite right to take exception to it!

Maybe they weren't active Pythonists.

In retrospect, they should've been taken exception to SOD!

On 25/11/2019 at 09:07, richwwtk said:

Please please please can somebody switch off Downsy's microphone for five minutes before kickoff?

I have no real issues with the guy the rest of the time, but Saturday was beyond embarrassing, especially the "tension is building" comment, we don't need bloody commentary telling us the players are in the tunnel, we can see it!

Also, what was wrong with the William Tell Overture followed by One For The Bristol City? It was us, and it was fine. The endless loop of the Seven Nation Army riff is tedious and indentikit - just horrible.

Glad that's off my chest.

Spot on.

This has been mentioned a lot on OSIB lately, it kills any atmosphere generated from the stands just prior to kick off. I am sure @Shtanley will like this thread!

Also it’s a terrible song anyway.

• Admin
18 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

Becoming very MK Dons plastic at AG. No atmosphere, no needle, no tension. Hate it.....

Wait until we get those plastic clapper things that they give out at Fulham home games - that is when you know when you hit rock bottom !

I can't remember which away ground it was but there is a tune from the Phanton Menace that is powerful, and could be incorporated

For me it's the liquidator every day of the week - one to get all the ground involved, be it by clapping or chanting

22 minutes ago, phantom said:

Wait until we get those plastic clapper things that they give out at Fulham home games - that is when you know when you hit rock bottom !

I can't remember which away ground it was but there is a tune from the Phanton Menace that is powerful, and could be incorporated

For me it's the liquidator every day of the week - one to get all the ground involved, be it by clapping or chanting

When its played next time phantom look out for me ill be th one doing the silly dance ??

On 26/11/2019 at 20:19, Tim S said:

I was at the game on Saturday and was my first this season due to work commitments elsewhere. To be honest its still pretty much the same as last season. The build up was all very flat. Too much focus on trying to be clever with stuff on the screens. Yes the classic moments montage is good, but its not changed much from last time I saw it!

Then watched the Sheffield Utd build up on Sunday and WOW - thats how its done! Big Sheffield Utd anthems getting the crowd going, PA announcer making sure every players name was cheered as loud as possible by reading the team sheet as soon as the players come out rather than quite a few minutes before. Then their club anthem played loud right up to the ref's whistle to kick off. The place was buzzing! 

Kinda reminds me of a job I used to do...... ?️?‍♂️?

'Downsey' is cringeworthy and doesn't understand the first thing about football, let alone how to pronounce player names. Solution? Re-hire Tim Shires. My first post and completely worth it.

On 29/11/2019 at 12:44, Wilbrahimovic said:

'Downsey' is cringeworthy and doesn't understand the first thing about football, let alone how to pronounce player names. Solution? Re-hire Tim Shires. My first post and completely worth it.

Thanks for the love although making me the subject of your first post will probably make people think its just me posting in disguise! ? (Its really not - I wouldnt stoop that low).

In defense of Downsy, it took a while but he has found his feet and does the job he has probably been tasked with. At the end of the day he is just a voice (and face when it comes to the screens) who is reading from a script and in a corporate world, which City are these days - thats what they seem to want. Am I gutted its not me on the mic?? Absolutely! But it is what it is and there is nothing I can say or do that will change that. But as Ive said before - Id do it again in a heartbeat if ever the chance came up. The only one thing I will state publicly that Im really pissed off about is that Downsy now does the same for the Bristol Bears Rugby as he does for City. But the Rugby kept their "in game" PA announcer Rich AKA Slick on the mic just before, during and just after the games. I don't get why I wasnt given the opportunity to do the same.

I am a bit gutted they have played around with the music so much though. Its just so bland now with no decent build up. I used to tailor each match's playlist depending on who we were playing and try to make sure the music was as upbeat as possible. Never pleased everyone - but had more positive comments than negatives. And I tried to play football related songs where possible - from Liquidator, Wurzels, Dario G, Tubthumping, Life of Riley, Red Red Robin etc... just trying to make it feel like a football atmosphere.

On 25/11/2019 at 09:31, Robbored said:

Lucky you..........I’m in the Dolman and can hear the music but ( by the critical comments on here) kinda glad I can’t make out what Downsy is saying.

If it wasn’t for the big screens I wouldn’t have known who the substitutions were. It’s crap PA system in the Dolman and has been ever since redevelopment and still the club have done nothing about it. It’s an absolute disgrace - it’s such a shame.

I didn’t realise you have problems with the PA, you should have mentioned it before!

1 hour ago, Tim S said:

Thanks for the love although making me the subject of your first post will probably make people think its just me posting in disguise! ? (Its really not - I wouldnt stoop that low).

In defense of Downsy, it took a while but he has found his feet and does the job he has probably been tasked with. At the end of the day he is just a voice (and face when it comes to the screens) who is reading from a script and in a corporate world, which City are these days - thats what they seem to want. Am I gutted its not me on the mic?? Absolutely! But it is what it is and there is nothing I can say or do that will change that. But as Ive said before - Id do it again in a heartbeat if ever the chance came up. The only one thing I will state publicly that Im really pissed off about is that Downsy now does the same for the Bristol Bears Rugby as he does for City. But the Rugby kept their "in game" PA announcer Rich AKA Slick on the mic just before, during and just after the games. I don't get why I wasnt given the opportunity to do the same.

I am a bit gutted they have played around with the music so much though. Its just so bland now with no decent build up. I used to tailor each match's playlist depending on who we were playing and try to make sure the music was as upbeat as possible. Never pleased everyone - but had more positive comments than negatives. And I tried to play football related songs where possible - from Liquidator, Wurzels, Dario G, Tubthumping, Life of Riley, Red Red Robin etc... just trying to make it feel like a football atmosphere.

Let it go mate.

On 25/11/2019 at 09:49, exAtyeoMax said:

He was annoying me too… and please don't say "ASHTON GATE STADIUM" it's Ashton Gate…

He's probably been told to 'ramp up the excitement' by the powers that be, I always think it has the opposite effect. 

Every home game we get reminded that “THIS IS ASHTON GATE STADIUM” well no f’ing shit sherlock :facepalm:

(minus the stadium bit)

Its about time we binned him off, he’s shite.

Archived