IGNORED

January

daored

3 hours ago, richwwtk said:

IF Brownhill goes for big bucks, recall Morrell. Would still leave us with a decent looking midfield.

Hopefully get Nketiah on loan from January

Welease Wodwi (sorry, just how it is in my head when I hear it, bloody Life of Brian)

Semenyo could probably do with a loan, would let him go if Afobe looks like returning in March as is rumoured.

Johnson stated he wanted Semenyo to remain and keep training everyday with the first team squad, as due to his late arrival in the professional game he is not tactically aware and he needs to work on his positional play.  He seemed to consider it more important that he worked with the squad rather than go to a lower division side.  Semenyo will become a valuable player once he learns all the drills, tactics and team work, through the benefit of regular coaching.  So I cannot see him being loaned out, if LJ sticks to his plan?   PS.  Does the transfer window open on January 1st or later?

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

What a sad existence we have .

:laughcont:

Remembering Pilot .

Next you'll be talking about Kenny, Racey, and Hello @Major Isewater  i just know it.

That said, there was I believe one of the guy's in Pilot who was a very decent session musician who happened to play on Wuthering Heights and Kate Bush's album The Kick Inside.. so he wasn't too shoddy for sure

25 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Johnson stated he wanted Semenyo to remain and keep training everyday with the first team squad, as due to his late arrival in the professional game he is not tactically aware and he needs to work on his positional play.  He seemed to consider it more important that he worked with the squad rather than go to a lower division side.  Semenyo will become a valuable player once he learns all the drills, tactics and team work, through the benefit of regular coaching.  So I cannot see him being loaned out, if LJ sticks to his plan?   PS.  Does the transfer window open on January 1st or later?

I'm really hoping Semenyo comes good before January. Would love him to be more involved. It seems he has the most potential out of all of the youngsters.

8 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I really wouldn't get your hopes up. We have a pretty poor record in the January transfer window

Struggle to agree with this everytime it gets mentioned, I don’t think the majority of people realise how hard it is, not just for ourselves but every other club to bring in that extra bit of quality that they need. Clubs asking prices in January are ridiculously higher than they would be during the summer, as they don’t want to lose anyone mid season knowing they’d have trouble getting in a replacement themselves. Then there’s the loan market for players not getting mins in the PL take Mitrovic for example, turned out to be a great move by Fulham a couple of seasons ago, but took a gamble by paying £50k a week or whatever it was for him. Something we as a club are not currently in a position to do.

5 hours ago, Allwaysred said:

BUT due to injurys and a totally different style of play we will not be in the top 6 come Jan 1st as we are simply not good enough and would say will be 8/9 and 6 to 8pts adrift of 6th place.

Crikey who spat in your sandwich? Aside from Brom and Fulham - we have a fairly decent few months ahead and I really can't see us falling too far from the 6th spot. Especially as it assumes consistency elsewhere.

If we did go on one of our losing streaks against these teams the clamour for Johnson's head would be deafening come Feb.

10 hours ago, RedDave said:

Recall Max O Leary

Loan out Semenyo

Release Rodri

Sign Macauley Bonne

Sign young Prem striker on loan.....Brewster, Poveda for example

Have we seen the best of Rodri? Can’t remember him ever getting the ball facing the opposition and actually running at them. Is he considered to be pretty quick, slow or what? What was he like with his previous club?

Recall Pring or Vyner. 

All other loan-outs Remain.

In order of priority.:- 1) striker quality proven striker buy

2) striker prem youngster loan (assuming Afobe remains)

3) attacking midfield playmaker buy or possibly loan if this coming pre-season LJ thinks he can work his ‘magic’ on Palmer or, preferably, Palmer talks to Bobby or Joe and registers on that AtoB summer training course. 

Sell Watkins, CoD, Pato and Taylor. If required to raise funds/free up wages sell Bakes. If ridiculous offers come in one of Brownhill or Hano also to go. End Rhodri loan.

Also get in the best attacking coach we can afford. Get him to work on developing final third pattern of play, player acquisitions and partnerships. This needs to be done NOW. 

Am I hopeful? Our January dealings -particularly front men - have been nothing short of disastrous. May be this time we will get it right. 

I think we should try loan Dwight Gayle (with a view to buy in summer if we don’t Sign afobe) yeah he will be on a high wage but he’s a proven goal scorer he’s not getting no game time at Newcastle and I think we could offer him more game time then wba 

3 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Struggle to agree with this everytime it gets mentioned, I don’t think the majority of people realise how hard it is, not just for ourselves but every other club to bring in that extra bit of quality that they need. Clubs asking prices in January are ridiculously higher than they would be during the summer, as they don’t want to lose anyone mid season knowing they’d have trouble getting in a replacement themselves. Then there’s the loan market for players not getting mins in the PL take Mitrovic for example, turned out to be a great move by Fulham a couple of seasons ago, but took a gamble by paying £50k a week or whatever it was for him. Something we as a club are not currently in a position to do.

Why are we not in a position to do that? IF, we were to sign a PL striker who is not currently getting a game, add in the loan fee and he costs £2.5m - well worth the gamble, IF he makes the difference, if he doesn’t he goes back to where he came from in May.

Our real problem is an utter lack of firepower, if we don’t change that then no way we are in the play-offs.

Benik looked the part and great if he is back and firing in March but that is a huge ask.

3 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Crikey who spat in your sandwich? Aside from Brom and Fulham - we have a fairly decent few months ahead and I really can't see us falling too far from the 6th spot. Especially as it assumes consistency elsewhere.

If we did go on one of our losing streaks against these teams the clamour for Johnson's head would be deafening come Feb.

With Huddersfield Millwall and Blackburn all to come at home and we know how we struggle there. Bottom line is we don't create or finish enough and you don't get in the PO or promoted without scoring. Like it or not we're weak where it matters because we put our eggs in 1 basket and panicked on witching hour and the gamble didn't pay off as we lost our main target to Leeds and took a massive risk with Afobe with previous injuries which unfortunately didn't work out BUT we we're crying out for 2 strikers and what did we do let Taylor go to Oxford who always changes a game and brought in Rodri who wasn't match fit and still isn't and doesn't fit our game and that for me is baffling along with NA warming the bench most games when he's the best crosser at the club by far baffling... 

7 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Why are we not in a position to do that? IF, we were to sign a PL striker who is not currently getting a game, add in the loan fee and he costs £2.5m - well worth the gamble, IF he makes the difference, if he doesn’t he goes back to where he came from in May.

Our real problem is an utter lack of firepower, if we don’t change that then no way we are in the play-offs.

Benik looked the part and great if he is back and firing in March but that is a huge ask.

If you really think that as a club where we are now will go out in January and bring in a player on £50k a week then you are more silly than first thought. Only a handful of Championship clubs can afford to do such a thing and all of those with the exception of Derby have parachute payments. It would be a massive gamble for a club like us, then you run the risk of possibly upsetting the dressing room as none of ours will be on anywhere near such a wage, or it may just not work out for one reason or another and given our past luck with loanees it probably wouldn’t end well! 
I personally don’t think firepower is our main issue, it’s all down to LJ and his tactics at AG, bollox to whatever the other team are doing, just have a f’ing go from the start, every team apart from say 5/6 come to us sticking 10/11 men behind the ball playing for a point hoping to Nick a goal on the counter, so what do we do? Play with 1 upfront passing sideways and backwards trying to find a gap between 2 banks of 5 players with a through ball which 9 times out of 10 results in us giving the ball away. Away from home LJ’s tactics work a treat and dare I say it, we actually are good at it most of the time but LJ really needs to bin that right off for home games as it doesn’t work and imo that’s our main issue.

12 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Next you'll be talking about Kenny, Racey, and Hello @Major Isewater  i just know it.

That said, there was I believe one of the guy's in Pilot who was a very decent session musician who happened to play on Wuthering Heights and Kate Bush's album The Kick Inside.. so he wasn't too shoddy for sure

So annoyed with myself. Just noticed a baker's apostrophe  :laugh: I'll blame auto correct.

12 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

I’m back , in the New York groove:

8 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

We don’t have any ‘ natural ‘ goalscorers .

A big problem is that Weimann and Diedhiou are key to how we play and mark at least 7/10 in most matches for all round play and 5 or 6 out of ten for finishing. 

We need a clinical finisher and they cost big money because every club wants one.

If we can get a ‘ fit ‘. Nketiah on loan that could be a solution. 

I’ve reread your post and we are in agreement,

12 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Clubs will cut their losses on players who won’t re-sign their contracts and let them go in January instead of losing them for nothing in the summer. 

However , yes wages . We will have to be clever there. 

I can only see a possible loan or a permanent from overseas to address the problem.

Don’t forget that even though Afobe is out injured we would still be paying his wages .

O'Leary is now bench warming at Shrewsbury, so bring him back as our Academy developed player in the match day squad. Allows Semenyo to go on loan.

I would also bring back Joe Morrell and Pring. Sell Brownhill, Watkins, Adelakun and get TWO decent strikers in.

Release Rodri, he's a poor man's Matty Taylor.

2 hours ago, glos old boy said:

We have failed before to kick on from a good xmas position, no reason at all to believe we will change that this year

. Fam is a battler but not a proven goalscorer in this league, we need to sign one if we want to mount a serious challenge, yes it will cost but it will be an investment and one we can sell on if need be.

In Jan 2018 FFP was a problem.

Jan 2019, more sympathy with that view- any suggestions on who we look to sign, while factoring in budgets?

15 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

I think we could tbh, sign a Mitrovic on loan now provided only for 5-6 months and with the financial headroom we've built up. Potentially anyway- if there was an obligation to buy then that's a different matter but feel even £50k a week for half-season wouldn't be beyond us.

Granted, it could have a knock on effect with others wanting wage rises, but if it was a once off transaction and recognised as such then 5-6 months, Mitrovic or equivalent loan? Yeah, could be done possibly.

Depends on Afobe too of course, how much of our budget went on him and how much his injury has wrecked it.

19 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

Break the bank, remove the splinters from his arse and rescue Gayle from the Toon. Prem here we come ??

Hasn't he had injuries this season?

Agree Gayle would be the dream- but we would face a lot of competition.

@glos old boy Birmingham getting 9 points as well as various restrictions on transfers and having to work under an "EFL Business plan" for much of 2018/19 should give pause for thought about the 2018 uncertainty IMO. Agree to disagree though!

20 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Creme Brulee? 

Archived