IGNORED

Return of The Pat....

Silvio Dante

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I said sensational when he was up top with Bobby. Not sure why you've both decided I meant he is always sensational! ?

I fully understood you only meant alongside Bobby.

Was he really sensational though? Don't seem to remember him getting loads of goals and assists which I'd expect of someone being called sensational. I remember him having a few good games, not sensational for 3 months though. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yep- that was a great combination- really worked well.

Paterson's best and perhaps only ideal position is a 10...if not a 10, well you may as well not play him, certainly as a starter.

For me he can play 10, or a narrow wide player or even a bit deeper like he did plenty of times last season. 

The key thing wherever he plays is to have ballers in the side, players he can pass to, knowing he will get it back. Teams that have lots of possession and where he will get lots of touches. 

He doesn't suit the way we have played for the last couple of seasons. I feel sorry for players that are picked together that don't suit each other and play badly as a result.

On his day, which isn’t that often he’s pretty good. On the other hand when he’s bad he’s a liability. His performance against Ipswich at home last season was one of the worst I’ve seen from a player wearing a city shirt. Unless he pulls his socks up he might as well stay at Derby!

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

For me he can play 10, or a narrow wide player or even a bit deeper like he did plenty of times last season. 

The key thing wherever he plays is to have ballers in the side, players he can pass to, knowing he will get it back. Teams that have lots of possession and where he will get lots of touches. 

He doesn't suit the way we have played for the last couple of seasons. I feel sorry for players that are picked together that don't suit each other and play badly as a result.

Not so sure about a bit deeper and the overall functioning of the team, but agree about narrow wide.

Agreed on that- in the same way that Palmer-Diedhiou doesn't work, nor did Paterson-Diedhiou really- it's just not a good fit and yet it's not their fault.

8 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Was he really sensational though? Don't seem to remember him getting loads of goals and assists which I'd expect of someone being called sensational. I remember him having a few good games, not sensational for 3 months though. 

Ahh fair enough. Well I thought he was very very good. I'm not really fussed who scores when we are winning and playing that kind of football.

I don't think we have ever managed to get the best out of Pato consistently over a season. And i don't really think he has ever lacked effort. I just think LJ likes many different types that don't all suit each other.

Also remember that high press. Pato absolutely worked his socks off up there with Bobby.

It's why Palmer looks awful when Diedhiou plays. I don't even blame Palmer for it.

22 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Okay he was sensational for a month- think he got 6 assists or goals in a 6 game spell- was something like that anyway, over a certain period it was either a goal or an assist per game on average.

I still wonder if being taken off v Wolves when Fielding got the red didn't help- never quite the same player after that, though he got a bug/virus something too around that time?

7 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Who was that Hakeem chap we bought? What's he doing? The only thing I've seen of him is his poster in the sports bar. 

Hakeeb Adelukan 

Playing for the under 23s as we speak 

Way too early to write off Szmodics. Look how long it took Moore to break into first team plans. 

Not every recruit is made with a view to immediate first team football. Sometimes you will sign a promising player knowing it could be a couple of years before they’re at the level they need to be. 

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Okay he was sensational for a month- think he got 6 assists or goals in a 6 game spell. 

I still wonder if being taken off v Wolves when Fielding got the red didn't help- never quite the same player after that, though he got a bug/virus something too around that time?

The moment that defined our season. I’m adamant that had we beaten wolves that night - as we could and should have done - the season would have panned out quite differently. 

10 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The moment that defined our season. I’m adamant that had we beaten wolves that night - as we could and should have done - the season would have panned out quite differently. 

Surely a playoff place tbh. Unsure about top 2 but definitely top 6.

Yep, was a defining moment indeed- may have been more than I thought, a win vs Wolves would have dragged them back into the pack as well and a new layer of pressure...not just from us but from those beneath who suddenly see them dropping 5 points post Christmas in a week and teams below gaining ground.

Teams then to play on Monday, Wolves not until Tuesday- results go against, quite a young team, new manager- lot of them foreign to UK football...yeah that can slide.

11 points though, having won at AG- such a tough game- in the last minute, stayed in it at 1-0 down to 10, and stepped it up at 10 v 10...the confidence boost is massive and that suddenly has you with one foot in the PL.

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Okay he was sensational for a month- think he got 6 assists or goals in a 6 game spell. 

Forgot about the virus. Was so good up till then and seemed to take a long time to come back from that.

Bit of competition for Palmer perhaps, but doesn't really seem like a priority overall.

However, he did IIRC have a reasonable 2nd half or 6 months of the season last year- could be a useful option to have.

Just checked. 4 goals and 4 assists from Ipswich away to the end...1 goal and no assists from the start of the season to Leeds away.

48 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not so sure about a bit deeper and the overall functioning of the team, but agree about narrow wide.

Agreed on that- in the same way that Palmer-Diedhiou doesn't work, nor did Paterson-Diedhiou really- it's just not a good fit and yet it's not their fault.

Pato did play a deeper role quite a lot last season. Still doesn't work though when you have Fam up top, and any general lack of movement ahead of him.

Really was superb in the QPR game where he chipped it over to Eliasson to score. Interestingly LJ had moved Pato alongside Brownhill in a midfield 2, taking Pack off. 

"We needed players who were natural playing forward, being brave in the spaces. I dropped Pato into centre midfield and was saw a great setup for the goal, a great bit of skill to flick the ball to Eliasson"

There was a fairly decent run of games after Xmas earlier this year where most on here were saying how great Pato was playing. I think LJ had even said that he'd only just really got over that virus. 

There is plenty of competition in those attacking areas, but very little in the striker positions. So I'm not really sure where Pato fits in if we decide to keep him.

I wonder about up top with Weimann. Pato at least has the work rate Palmer doesn't. Very lightweight pair though.

If we build a brilliant passing midfield and defence behind that forward line, especially with Dasilva coming back and offering so much on that left side, I wonder if a lack of physique up top can be less of a problem.

His return certainly doesn't make picking a side any easier and it's already hard enough!

So the bench from Saturday....19 Niclas Eliasson, 7 Korey Smith, 42 Han-Noah Massengo, 31 Rodri, 33 Niki Mäenpää, 45 Kasey Palmer, 18 Antoine Semenyo. Who misses out?
Not sure we need someone to run in circles then disappear though. 

I thought it was strange loaning Pato out in the first place. We brought in Szmodics to play in that role, but he’s not played above the fourth tier. It hasn’t worked and doesn’t look working anytime soon from what I have seen of the lad. 

Bring Pato back and loan out Szmodics to play regularly would be the sensible option. 

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Per Evening Post, Jamie Paterson’s loan to Derby will be cut short in January. Was anticipated as Rooney eligible from then creating a logjam for places.

Won’t be able to reloan/sell in January as he played vs Leeds so Jamie fully back in the fray.

Likely will lead to loan out for Szmodics IMO.

Also, gives another decent creative spark when on form. Not displeased by this overall.

I hoped we had seen the last of him. Offers little to nothing  in tough games when you need to show some charcter. Really hope he is sold in January and does not  block the way of players who are up for the fight.

31 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I thought it was strange loaning Pato out in the first place. We brought in Szmodics to play in that role, but he’s not played above the fourth tier. It hasn’t worked and doesn’t look working anytime soon from what I have seen of the lad. 

Bring Pato back and loan out Szmodics to play regularly would be the sensible option. 

I thought we were surprised that we could sign Palmer and Szmodics was signed to compete with Pato. When we signed Palmer, LJ had to let one out on loan. Perhaps LJ expected more from Szmodics.

I would do exactly what you’ve suggested

31 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

I hoped we had seen the last of him. Offers little to nothing  in tough games when you need to show some charcter. Really hope he is sold in January and does not  block the way of players who are up for the fight.

The 3 clubs one season rule as Silvio mentioned- we maybe stuck with him for now?

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Forgot about the virus. Was so good up till then and seemed to take a long time to come back from that.

This is such a strange thing I've noticed people keep saying here which seems to have become fact.

He was out at the start of November 2017 for a week or two and then played from around the 20th or so onward - which was our best spell of the season.

1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

This is such a strange thing I've noticed people keep saying here which seems to have become fact.

He was out at the start of November 2017 for a week or two and then played from around the 20th or so onward - which was our best spell of the season.

That's strange. I am sure LJ said it took him ages to really get over it and start performing again.

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

That's strange. I am sure LJ said it took him ages to really get over it and start performing again.

So did I, but I think that's just come from it being repeated a lot on here! There's an article from December a few games later where he said he was back to his best as it had been a nasty illness - might be that?

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/paterson-is-back-to-his-best-johnson/

"He had that unfortunate illness that left him on a drip in a hospital in Nottingham for week to ten days and it did affect him, we could see it knocked him back. You could see how withdrawn he was in his face and however hard he tried he couldn't seem to get his power back. 

"But we gave him vitamins, the right nutrients, the protein and now he's back to playing his best football."

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Paterson is a superbly talented player on the ball. And works very hard off it. He'd suit playing for a team like Brentford more than he suits us. He needs players that are like him around him, not the likes of a Fam. 

It's no coincidence he looked sensational when up top with Bobby, and didn't look so good when Fam can back into the team.

Agree would love to see him and Palmer behind a mobile striker.

Get Nagy and Brownhill / Massengo to do the defensive work - it must create more chances than currently?

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

‘ sensational ‘ ? 

Pato is not consistent enough , constantly flatters to deceive .

He has the skill but is missing something from his make up that would make him a nailed on starter for most Championship clubs and, dare I say it , even at Prem level .

He will find himself going down the divisions to get regular game time .

I hope he has a good agent.

Nail varnish?

Archived