IGNORED

Which player leaving has affected us most over the years

Unan

It's funny how Webster has been arguably our best player for years yet there hasn't been too big a difference since he went, in my opinion. 

For me, in modern times, it has to be Reid. Our whole style changed when he left, that fast play & high press vanished. 

39 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

It's funny how Webster has been arguably our best player for years yet there hasn't been too big a difference since he went, in my opinion. 

For me, in modern times, it has to be Reid. Our whole style changed when he left, that fast play & high press vanished. 

No difference? Bar Moore who is improving we have no one to bring the ball out. He offered us so much in possession. I'd say we are missing him massively. 

54 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

I find it a % of funny how much impact not having Webster has had on the team. 

14 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

No difference? Bar Moore who is improving we have no one to bring the ball out. He offered us so much in possession. I'd say we are missing him massively. 

There is no player at ease in possession at Centre back. The difference is the team tactically is less flexible.

Depends what you class as 'the years'.

It's a bit of a tricky question because under each manager we have had a different style of play, different personnel etc.

If we're talking under LJ, even that is a hard one because we've made progress each season. I think you'd have to go back to about 2014 when we were relegated to come up with a strong answer to this. 

1 hour ago, Trueredsupporter said:

I would say City are really missing Webster. Lot more booting it long since he left. Bentley would have loved playing to a CB like that. The high press and fast play vanished when Reid was here because Famara couldn't do it.

45 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

We miss him for sure, but in relation to the amount I thought we would miss him, Moore & Williams have been revelations for us. 

With Bobby Reid in the team we had a way of playing that was very good to watch and also very effective, drawing a lot of plaudits from high profile people in the game. We've never managed to replicate that style of play unfortunately.

Webster also gave us another dimension with him being able to bring the ball out from the back and get us on the front foot and we've not manged to replace him.

But on balance I would say losing Bobby Reid has had the most effect.

Would've been good to have both of those in the team..

48 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

The Cheese: he didn't exactly leave, but he was unable to continue playing and was never properly replaced

This is probably the winner. 
His loss changed the course of our season into one of a relegation struggle where we could have quite easily have been midtable or higher with his goals and teamplay  .

To add that a higher placing in the top division would have given us more standing and confidence that we merited a place at the highest level .

The players , themselves, have said that at Ashton Gate they were strong but didn’t perform well enough away from home as they often felt intimidated in the company of more illustrious clubs .

Slightly left field, but Benik Afobe has left the field and up to that point he made everything fit together. All these games we've been drawing recently may well have had a positive outcome. Being 5 points from second and with more draws than wins at home, the fine margins that dictate ultimate success or failure may well have been tipped in our favour with his inclusion. With 100 million pounds plus resting on the outcome I would argue for his inclusion

24 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Shaun Goater , in my opinion it cost us the Champion’s position.( 97-98 season ) 

After he left we limped over the line as runners up to Watford.

As we got promoted to the 2nd Tier, we passed Man City who got relegated to replace us. Whatever happened to them, I wonder . . . 

10 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Yes letting goater going and us not having a decent replacement cost us the championship 100 per cent.

That sean mcarthy was awful, although it later came out in a interview his father passed away a couple of days before the preston game, and he still played.

Despite his courage to play after his loss he made Tomlin look like an anorexic whippet . 

Archived