IGNORED

Which player leaving has affected us most over the years

Unan

Not a player who left, but who didn’t play much due to injury - Steve Brooker. He was injured for most of the season when we reached the playoffs against Hull. If he had been fully fit that season I’m sure he would have scored sufficient goals to ensure automatic promotion 

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Not a player who left, but who didn’t play much due to injury - Steve Brooker. He was injured for most of the season when we reached the playoffs against Hull. If he had been fully fit that season I’m sure he would have scored sufficient goals to ensure automatic promotion 

He had 'stalker' problems!  ….

(no not in a 'Rudolph' kind of way) 

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

With Bobby Reid in the team we had a way of playing that was very good to watch and also very effective, drawing a lot of plaudits from high profile people in the game. We've never managed to replicate that style of play unfortunately.

Webster also gave us another dimension with him being able to bring the ball out from the back and get us on the front foot and we've not manged to replace him.

But on balance I would say losing Bobby Reid has had the most effect.

Would've been good to have both of those in the team..

Yep. Bobby was superb. We've missed that real quality up top. Weimann not able to do what Bobby could imo. Not got the touch, the technique and can't finish like Bobby could either.

Mine have already been mentioned.

I reckon the loss of Afobe has affected us massively this season. He was leading the line so well. 

Other than that I agree we suffered rom the losses of Reid and Webster. 

And all these years later I still feel completely gutted that we let Bob Taylor go. 

1 minute ago, East End Old Boy said:

I was gutted when Chris Garland was sold, but Dicks was building a team and we continued to improve every season until we were promoted! Sounds familiar? ?

It’s not at all familiar.

We improved once , then the following year got promoted , before that we flirted with relegation and mediocrity.

The big difference was that the players nearly all came through the youth system together , knew each other’s game and were tight knit . They were a team not a collection of talented individuals.

We didn’t have agents stirring things up after two or three decent performances.

I agree that stability is important in order to build a club but if the project stalls then new blood is called for . 

2 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

It was his 'radar' like ability to find Maynard consistently too. What an understanding those two had. Hartley was pretty complete as far as centre mids go at this level. 

I think he was good enough for the PL that season. He was seriously class. Shame we didn’t have him for longer. 

2 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

It was his 'radar' like ability to find Maynard consistently too. What an understanding those two had. Hartley was pretty complete as far as centre mids go at this level. 

Yes, good shout- he was excellent- Hartley to Maynard, Middlesbrough at home springs to mind.

I think we've replaced him now, but it took us some while! On a lesser note, Wade Elliott after promotion- yes he was perhaps too old but a younger version yet still with experience on the stepup under Cotts could've helped a fair bit.

3 minutes ago, shelts said:

He wasn’t doing it for us at the higher level.  He proved himself after us 

We were playing him with a hamstring injury . When it was allowed to clear up , he became a Vaggies legend. 

That was meant to say ‘ Baggies ‘ but sausage fingers has just invented a new nickname for Wednesday’s opposition.

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We were playing him with a hamstring injury . When it was allowed to clear up , he became a Vaggies legend. 

That was meant to say ‘ Baggies ‘ but sausage fingers has just invented a new nickname for Wednesday’s opposition.

Few injuries tbf 

It took over two years before John Galley found the form to replace John Atyeo.

Going back further, City struggled for many years after Billy Wedlock retired.

More recently, in the 1970's it took a long time to find a real replacement for Mike Gibson.

Archived