Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Seneca the Younger

Which player leaving has affected us most over the years

2 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

It was his 'radar' like ability to find Maynard consistently too. What an understanding those two had. Hartley was pretty complete as far as centre mids go at this level. 

Yes, good shout- he was excellent- Hartley to Maynard, Middlesbrough at home springs to mind.

I think we've replaced him now, but it took us some while! On a lesser note, Wade Elliott after promotion- yes he was perhaps too old but a younger version yet still with experience on the stepup under Cotts could've helped a fair bit.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, shelts said:

He wasn’t doing it for us at the higher level.  He proved himself after us 

We were playing him with a hamstring injury . When it was allowed to clear up , he became a Vaggies legend. 

That was meant to say ‘ Baggies ‘ but sausage fingers has just invented a new nickname for Wednesday’s opposition.

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We were playing him with a hamstring injury . When it was allowed to clear up , he became a Vaggies legend. 

That was meant to say ‘ Baggies ‘ but sausage fingers has just invented a new nickname for Wednesday’s opposition.

Few injuries tbf 

It took over two years before John Galley found the form to replace John Atyeo.

Going back further, City struggled for many years after Billy Wedlock retired.

More recently, in the 1970's it took a long time to find a real replacement for Mike Gibson.

Edited by 22A

36 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Lee Johnson being injured for the final weeks of the season cost us promotion imo.

That's a good shout...injured against Watford wasn't he? Lost important matches without him.

7 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Recently Tammy, but for me  Shaun Taylor. A true leader and motivator, something we are lacking at the moment.

Certainly missed him after promotion... Dyche and Watts were awful!

On 26/11/2019 at 08:12, iamalagerdrinker said:

Webster for me! Another good question would be who has become a better player since leaving aswell?

On the topic of who became better after leaving Bolasie wins it hands down. At the time I thought 300k or whatever he went for was an absolute steal, turns out I couldn't have been more wrong.

On 26/11/2019 at 09:24, Seneca the Younger said:

We miss him for sure, but in relation to the amount I thought we would miss him, Moore & Williams have been revelations for us. 

Webster being not present has affected the passing patterns of the team. That has not been replaced and neither has its potential x Bentley x Nagy. In your opening post you may be displaying a admiration for the way Mr Johnsons team played for a short period. Webster would have helped to advance that teams fast play and high pressing as well. 

Potential and logical easily achieved progress due to his skill set went with this player leaving.

4 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Webster being not present has affected the passing patterns of the team. That has not been replaced and neither has its potential x Bentley x Nagy. In your opening post you may be displaying a admiration for the way Mr Johnsons team played for a short period. Webster would have helped to advance that teams fast play and high pressing as well. 

Potential and logical easily achieved progress due to his skill set went with this player leaving.

For all his exceptional talent , Webster in the team made us too easy to play against as opponents closed him down a lot quicker as his reputation grew.

He was less affective near the end of the season.

On 26/11/2019 at 10:26, Redpool said:

Paul Hartley was the last player we never replaced. Still crying out for that type of midfielder. 

A couple of people have mentioned him - but he did nothing for me at all. His arrival sparked the beginning of the end for GJ. I may be totally wrong, but to me he seemed to be a ‘Billy Big Bollocks’ and the cause of a dressing-room cancer. 

Like I said, I may be wrong - just gave me that impression. 

21 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

For all his exceptional talent , Webster in the team made us too easy to play against as opponents closed him down a lot quicker as his reputation grew.

He was less affective near the end of the season.

Exceptional footballing talent makes a team harder play against. Websters passing efficiency creates more opportunity and flexibility. 

Lee Johnson has toyed with possession based football. He has been limited by having a number one who cannot be used as an adept extra outfield player. Now he has one he is limited by not having a footballing centre back.

Lee Johnson has also toyed with highlines. He now has a keeper who could sweep and help the team play higher. Again he is limited by his CB's. Bristol City could play higher and counter press more if that was a desire with Webster in the team.

All potential lost.