IGNORED

Jacki

Bristol Rob

Just now, Robbored said:

A trip down memory lane but I’ve never understood the admiration some fans have for Jacki.

To me he was a tricky but lazy player who managed a whopping 7 goals during his time at City.

The world (of Ashton Gate) was a damp, depressing place back then and exciting players and technical football were hardly prevalent, so any beckon of excitement was celebrated.

Possibly more than it should have been, but the odd glimpse of quality was a treat at the time.

WE HAD A POLISH INTERNATIONAL!

The Polish Lee Tomlin?

Timing is so vital with these players. A different era and not outstaying his welcome. A lack of expectation, a lack of quality, and a lack of entertainment options all help make the mavericks of that era stand out. 

If Tomlin never signed permanently I wonder if he'd be talked about in a similar sense. Is Kasey Palmer the next one? If you flash talent and aren't consistent you end up on the bench not in folklore in modern football.

Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

I used to be friends with an ex director of the day, and this is  obviously before forums and stats, as such, and he pointed out to me that the win rate with Jacki in the team was something ridiculously low compared to when he didn't play. A gifted player for sure, especially in those dark days, but gifted players such as him, JET, Tomlin, Trundle etc have to be used according to the situation you find yourself in. 

21 minutes ago, Prinny said:

The Polish Lee Tomlin

Wash your mouth out, Sir.

Polish George Best more like. The most naturally gifted player we've ever had. He could make the ball talk and did the most outrageous and entertaining things when given it (which wasn't enough.)

Had many faults but like other players of his ilk lazy wasn't one of them. He's tarred with that brush as ( like Cole at the same time,) he wasn't afraid to let his teammates and fans know that he knew he was miles superior to the rest of them. They both were. He'd play balls, or look to play balls, only to discover his teammates were years behind in thinking and movement. And he'd let them know. Recall one evening standing with him on the terrace after he'd been dropped in favour of the likes of Shelton. We were awful and run ragged and he didn't hold back in letting all know of their lack of talent compared to him. Happened most places he went owing to his predilections but our man management of him was woeful.

You confuse his legacy with much of the dross he had to play alongside.

4 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Hey twas a question not a statement! Important edit!

Thanks for the detailed story. It was just before my time, and yeah I just lump him in with the talented but lazy number 10 trope, so it's good to hear otherwise.

53 minutes ago, Robbored said:

A trip down memory lane but I’ve never understood the admiration some fans have for Jacki.

To me he was a tricky but lazy player who managed a whopping 7 goals during his time at City.

That’s the whole point of a ‘cult’ hero, nobody said he was perfect.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

It would be like having admiration for Tomlin I suppose - except no on seems to have that admiration for Tomlin. 

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

The world (of Ashton Gate) was a damp, depressing place back then and exciting players and technical football were hardly prevalent, so any beckon of excitement was celebrated.

Possibly more than it should have been, but the odd glimpse of quality was a treat at the time.

Reading this forum after home games makes it sound like little has changed. :shocking:

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Polish George Best more like. The most naturally gifted player we've ever had. He could make the ball talk and did the most outrageous and entertaining things when given it (which wasn't enough.)

Had many faults but like other players of his ilk lazy wasn't one of them. He's tarred with that brush as ( like Cole at the same time,) he wasn't afraid to let his teammates and fans know that he knew he was miles superior to the rest of them. They both were. He'd play balls, or look to play balls, only to discover his teammates were years behind in thinking and movement. And he'd let them know. Recall one evening standing with him on the terrace after he'd been dropped in favour of the likes of Shelton. We were awful and run ragged and he didn't hold back in letting all know of their lack of talent compared to him. Happened most places he went owing to his predilections but our man management of him was woeful.

I recall the Bountyhunter at the time publishing a bunch of Lonely Hearts ads, one of which was “Polish George Best seeks ball”.

The only thing I’d disagree with on the above is “The likes of Shelton”. I think Gary Shelton was a top notch player for us in the Joe Jordan days and some of Lumsden - undoubtedly on the way down in the Osman era but to dismiss him in that way is a bit out of order IMO

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I suppose it's a bit like Albert Adomah, who is a good player, but when we were watching such a terrible team and he was our only good player he gets a bit of a cult status.

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Blimey, I knew he was a talented man but thats the first I've heard of ventriloquism.  

(come to think of it, he did sometimes make muppets out of opponents  though)

He always has and forever will be for me one of the first players that comes to mind if i'm asked "who are your favourite City players?"

Certainly not the best player nor the greatest servant the clubs had but he was a bit special. I was 15-16 when he signed and I'd never seen such a skillful player turn out for us before.

I'll always remember him. Wouldn't make my Hall of Fame but absolutely worthy of a place in the Cult Heroes Lounge.

2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Had many faults but like other players of his ilk lazy wasn't one of them. He's tarred with that brush as ( like Cole at the same time,) he wasn't afraid to let his teammates and fans know that he knew he was miles superior to the rest of them. They both were. He'd play balls, or look to play balls, only to discover his teammates were years behind in thinking and movement. And he'd let them know. 

Very similar to a young Gerry Gow.

I remember when young GG first broke in to the first team; he would play fantastic balls in to space, nobody would foresee his defence-splitting pass and the ball would run loose leading to derision from both crowd and teammates alike.

Fortunately for us all, GG persisted and, as the years went by, his teamates rose to his level of play, much to our combined enjoyment. 

4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Very similar to a young Gerry Gow.

I remember when young GG first broke in to the first team; he would play fantastic balls in to space, nobody would foresee his defence-splitting pass and the ball would run loose leading to derision from both crowd and teammates alike.

Fortunately for us all, GG persisted and, as the years went by, his teamates rose to his level of play, much to our combined enjoyment. 

Gerry Gow he’s here he’s there he’s every f%-+&g where Gerry Gow Gerry Gow.  What a legend.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

A Tricky but Lazy Player!!!?  Well done, you have managed to descend into cliche.  He was NOT lazy.  Have you no pheckin romance in your soul?  I was at Leicester, and I was in the Stand for the Wolves game, Jacki was a star, and one of the best footballers to ever play for City.  He had plenty of faults, but then all players of his ilk do, it just goes with the territory.  I will always hold him in the highest regard, he lit up Ashton Gate during a boring season, and remains a standout ex player who should be appreciated for his qualitys.........."Tricky but Lazy" Ha!  That says a lot more about you, than him!   John Motson's quote on MOTD says it all   "Just not from another country, but from another planet"  I am loathe to use the word genius, but he was certainly exceptional, and a class act. ?

3 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Recall one evening standing with him on the terrace after he'd been dropped in favour of the likes of Shelton.

'the likes of Shelton', you take that back immediately!

As Rob said, Jacki was the brightest of shining lights at that time and worth every penny it cost to get in. As with all threads about Jacki the flick against Ipswich deserves a mention. One of the most outrageous pieces of skill I've seen at the Gate

The Wolves game, I lost my car keys in the East End that night, got let back in with my mates to have a search about 30 mins after the game finished. Remember just having a moment looking out on the pitch, once the keys had been located, and taking in what we'd just witnessed. A win against Wolves back then was rarer than it is today

Great memories

I don't get some people. Football is an entertainment business. A sport we all talk about.

Players such as Jacki, Lee Trundle, JET & to a lesser extent Lee Tomlin we were very lucky to have them play for us. They should be revered. Some of my best memories of watching Bristol City involved these players. Yes they may not have fitted in completely with everyone's idea of a team player but they had talent in abundance whether it is Trunds cutting inside and curling one in or JET's walking penalties or Tomlin flicking the ball over a defender before volleying in or Jacki's mesmeric skills with the ball.

In my opinion Trunds more than paid for his transfer fee with his goals in that 2008 season.

With Tomlin no one could argue with his talents on the pitch when he was on his game.

Watching clips of JET and you realise what an amazingly gifted and talented footballer he was. The way he would waltz past defenders and the lethal shot. His penalty taking took laid back to another level and I've seen someone on TV copying that style recently. I stand corrected but I think his time with us was his most successful.

Jacki was just too good for the rest of team around him with the exception of Andy Cole. My memory is a little hazy but I do believe Osman preferred a more workmanlike approach & saw to it that his time here was cut short. When you think of both players its fair to say that I know which of them is held in high regard.

Its players like these that put "bums on seats"

6 minutes ago, Swede said:

I don't get some people. Football is an entertainment business. A sport we all talk about.

Players such as Jacki, Lee Trundle, JET & to a lesser extent Lee Tomlin we were very lucky to have them play for us. They should be revered. Some of my best memories of watching Bristol City involved these players. Yes they may not have fitted in completely with everyone's idea of a team player but they had talent in abundance whether it is Trunds cutting inside and curling one in or JET's walking penalties or Tomlin flicking the ball over a defender before volleying in or Jacki's mesmeric skills with the ball.

In my opinion Trunds more than paid for his transfer fee with his goals in that 2008 season.

With Tomlin no one could argue with his talents on the pitch when he was on his game.

Watching clips of JET and you realise what an amazingly gifted and talented footballer he was. The way he would waltz past defenders and the lethal shot. His penalty taking took laid back to another level and I've seen someone on TV copying that style recently. I stand corrected but I think his time with us was his most successful.

Jacki was just too good for the rest of team around him with the exception of Andy Cole. My memory is a little hazy but I do believe Osman preferred a more workmanlike approach & saw to it that his time here was cut short. When you think of both players its fair to say that I know which of them is held in high regard.

Its players like these that put "bums on seats"

And an instant smile on my face

Archived