IGNORED

Jacki

Bristol Rob

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

The only thing I’d disagree with on the above is “The likes of Shelton”. I think Gary Shelton was a top notch player for us 

I didn't mean to do Shelts down, as you say he did better than OK for us but what I meant was Shelts, like Tainton before and dozens after was a 'space filler'. He won it a bit, closed folks down but had little creativity. He was a Dacia to Jacki's Lexus which made it all the more frustrating when mansgers thought him superior.....

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

A trip down memory lane but I’ve never understood the admiration some fans have for Jacki.

To me he was a tricky but lazy player who managed a whopping 7 goals during his time at City.

Thats a shame . I agree with what you posted . He was box office. Technically very gifted . Lived the life . Lit up Ashton gate . 

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

A trip down memory lane but I’ve never understood the admiration some fans have for Jacki.

To me he was a tricky but lazy player who managed a whopping 7 goals during his time at City.

True, but his exploits off the pitch were legendary 

3 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

I didn't mean to do Shelts down, as you say he did better than OK for us but what I meant was Shelts, like Tainton before and dozens after was a 'space filler'. He won it a bit, closed folks down but had little creativity. He was a Dacia to Jacki's Lexus which made it all the more frustrating when mansgers thought him superior.....

What id give for a modern Shelts running the midfield for us right now. Can’t think of many goal scoring central midfielders since him. 

12 hours ago, Prinny said:

The Polish Lee Tomlin?

So, so, so much more that that ... against Ipswich he ran between two defenders, left the ball behind him then flicked it over his head and continued his run leaving both defenders dumbfounded and lost - after the game I bumped into a few Ipswich fans quaffing ales in King Street and they were waxing lyrical at that demonstration of pure skill ... they couldn’t believe Jacki had the temerity to attempt that, and carry it off, in the midst of a proper game ... he was special 

13 hours ago, Robbored said:

Easy to dismiss the very few genius players who’ve represented our club - but they still get talked about decades after they leave in direct contrast to the solid, run of the mill, faceless, unrecognised workhorses, who are still valuable, but aren’t memorable in the way Jacki was - what a privilege to watch that guy play football in our shirt ...

32 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Easy to dismiss the very few genius players who’ve represented our club - but they still get talked about decades after they leave in direct contrast to the solid, run of the mill, faceless, unrecognised workhorses, who are still valuable, but aren’t memorable in the way Jacki was - what a privilege to watch that guy play football in our shirt ...

My memory of Jacki was that he was very gifted but certainly not a team player.  
Russel Osman summed him up after he’d left him out when he said  “a few tricks and a 30yd shot is not enough”

There are two players that I remember very fondly, Gerry Gow ( of course) and more recently Scot Murray particularly in his 20 goal season. Both terrific players who excited me and the crowd every time they had the ball. 

To me Jacki was a show pony and whilst I smiled seeing his tricks and flicks he never impressed me in the same was as GG had or SM did a few seasons later.

7 hours ago, redstu said:

Omg what a complete arse you really are

Because I have a different opinion to you?.............

This is a forum - it’s about opinions............:cool2:

I can see you’re a newbie so here’s a tip - try not to react in an abrasive or hostile manner when you read a comment that you don’t agree with. It’s not good for you.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Because I have a different opinion to you?.............

This is a forum - it’s about opinions............:cool2:

I can see you’re a newbie so here’s a tip - try not to react in an abrasive or hostile manner when you read a comment that you don’t agree with. It’s not good for you.

Newbie ! I have been on here as long as I can remember I just choose not to comment, however when I see such a brain dead comment about the most gifted and entertaining player ever to grace the gate then I have to say something, I do find some of your wind up comments quite amusing sometimes but am now of the opinion of most on here that you sir are a **** 

16 minutes ago, redstu said:

Newbie ! I have been on here as long as I can remember I just choose not to comment, however when I see such a brain dead comment about the most gifted and entertaining player ever to grace the gate then I have to say something, I do find some of your wind up comments quite amusing sometimes but am now of the opinion of most on here that you sir are a **** 

Most newbies say that they’ve been reading otib for ages before posting................:rofl2br:

Anyway........my point is that if you react in an aggressive and abusive manner when you see a comment that you disagree with  then I suggest you refrain from posting..................:cool2:

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Most newbies say that they’ve been reading otib for ages before posting................:rofl2br:

Anyway........my point is that if you react in an aggressive and abusive manner when you see a comment that you disagree with  then I suggest you refrain from posting..................:cool2:

Sept 29th 2010 !??

22 hours ago, Woodsy said:

'the likes of Shelton', you take that back immediately!

As Rob said, Jacki was the brightest of shining lights at that time and worth every penny it cost to get in. As with all threads about Jacki the flick against Ipswich deserves a mention. One of the most outrageous pieces of skill I've seen at the Gate

The Wolves game, I lost my car keys in the East End that night, got let back in with my mates to have a search about 30 mins after the game finished. Remember just having a moment looking out on the pitch, once the keys had been located, and taking in what we'd just witnessed. A win against Wolves back then was rarer than it is today

Great memories

the flick against Ipswich was outstanding, never seen anything like it - unbelievable there are even people questioning his status as a legend. 

11 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

the flick against Ipswich was outstanding, never seen anything like it - unbelievable there are even people questioning his status as a legend. 

after that flick, I recall a chant of 'Jacki, Jacki take the p***s' echoing around AG for the rest of the match every time he got the ball.  Ipswich were en route to promotion at that point so were no mugs, but he made complete mugs of them that day.

The game at Leicester in the FA Cup, if you saw that and never saw a live game ever again, you wouldn't feel short changed. Worth the entry fee and some that day. Majestic beyond belief considering the conditions. It was a joy to watch.

#polishinternational

Archived