IGNORED

Matty (Matt) Taylor

freezer

I love Matty Taylor as much as the next City fan but can you imagine the meltdown on Social Media if we get to Feb 1st and it appears that he is the club’s answer to the question ‘how do we find the goals to propel us into the Play Offs?’

Assuming we do try and recruit a new striker, I cant imagine he’d be too happy to come back here and warm the bench either now he’s playing and scoring regularly in L1.

I'm sorry Matty but you need to come back until the end of the season to provide cover.

I can see why we let him go out on loan but in hindsight it was a bad decision. We should have kept him as cover incase anything happened to Fammy or Afobe and sadly it did happen to Afobe. 

Even if we sign a replacement Matty still needs to come back to avoid us being in this position again.

Matty Taylor is a good League 1 player and a decent Championship player but he has found his groove at Oxford and we should leave him there for the sake of his career.
He continues to rile the Gas. 

Will Oxford want to buy him in January or will they just hope he signs on in the summer for free ? 

Either way Matty has no future at Ashton Gate , will be thanked by many here for his contribution and released. 

He could well be back in the Championship next season with Oxford.

City are looking to the future and will try to bring in a new striker in January and from LJ’s recent comments we could equally  see Janneh back .

Struth, if Janneh is the answer we’re in more trouble than I thought. 

Don’t think he’s scored yet or has even a sniff of a goal on his return to The Gulls and that’s a few leagues below Matty

Was thinking the other day. Who was the last goal-scoring forward we produced through our youth/academy system? I could only think of Kevin Mabbutt. 

I know these things take time... but more than 40 years to produce our next striker!!! Not counting on Janneh or Semenyo to be the next Mabbutt either just yet. 

As I’ve been bleating on for years, the creation of an ‘attacking coach’ position is long overdue in my mind to identify and nurture talent, develop forward player partnerships and final-third patterns of play. For whatever reason, we just don’t seem to have the nouse/strategy to do our home-grown striker thing. 

Our bumbling attempts to ‘blend’ Fammy, Andi and Palmer into some form of cohesive attacking unit just demonstrates why we continue to fail. 

9 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Was thinking the other day. Who was the last goal-scoring forward we produced through our youth/academy system? I could only think of Kevin Mabbutt. 

I know these things take time... but more than 40 years to produce our next striker!!! Not counting on Janneh or Semenyo to be the next Mabbutt either just yet. 

Bobby Reid

10 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Struth, if Janneh is the answer we’re in more trouble than I thought. 

Don’t think he’s scored yet or has even a sniff of a goal on his return to The Gulls and that’s a few leagues below Matty

As I’ve been bleating on for years, the creation of an ‘attacking coach’ position is long overdue in my mind to identify and nurture talent, develop forward player partnerships and final-third patterns of play. For whatever reason, we just don’t seem to have the nouse/strategy to do our home-grown striker thing. 

Our bumbling attempts to ‘blend’ Fammy, Andi and Palmer into some form of cohesive attacking unit just demonstrates why we continue to fail. 

Wes Burns. 

7 hours ago, RedDave said:

Blimey. If Matt Taylor is the answer what is the question?! Certainly not ‘which striker can fire us to a play off place’?

Why can't we get a shot on target in 95 minutes and who might stand a better chance coming on as sub? 

32 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Why can't we get a shot on target in 95 minutes and who might stand a better chance coming on as sub? 

Should never have sold Bomber Flint.

Sums us up in a way. Flinty used to cause more chaos in the opposition defence than most of our own forwards!

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Matty Taylor is a good League 1 player and a decent Championship player but he has found his groove at Oxford and we should leave him there for the sake of his career.
He continues to rile the Gas. 

Will Oxford want to buy him in January or will they just hope he signs on in the summer for free ? 

Either way Matty has no future at Ashton Gate , will be thanked by many here for his contribution and released. 

He could well be back in the Championship next season with Oxford.

City are looking to the future and will try to bring in a new striker in January and from LJ’s recent comments we could equally  see Janneh back .

We should leave him there for the sake of his career? When we signed him he signed a contract that commited himself to us for X amount of years, he received a significant pay rise upon joining us.

If Matty was still here right now, he would be getting minutes, if we only sign the one striker then its imperative that Matty comes back for the rest of the season as we require him as cover. I think the expectation was that Semenyo would kick on this season and provide that cover for Fammy and Afobe but he hasn't made much of an impact.

Matty has gone away and got himself fully fit and some goals so would be a viable option from the bench. The needs of Bristol City come above any of our players. 

43 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Should never have sold Bomber Flint.

Sums us up in a way. Flinty used to cause more chaos in the opposition defence than most of our own forwards!

He's been poor. We got 7 million which meant we went and got Webster and made a further 20-25 the next summer. Flint wouldn't even get in our team now.

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

We should leave him there for the sake of his career? When we signed him he signed a contract that commited himself to us for X amount of years, he received a significant pay rise upon joining us.

If Matty was still here right now, he would be getting minutes, if we only sign the one striker then its imperative that Matty comes back for the rest of the season as we require him as cover. I think the expectation was that Semenyo would kick on this season and provide that cover for Fammy and Afobe but he hasn't made much of an impact.

Matty has gone away and got himself fully fit and some goals so would be a viable option from the bench. The needs of Bristol City come above any of our players. 

You are ignoring the psychological impact here .

Yes  we could force him to come back but how motivated would the lad be ?

He’s been a bit part player at City but has now found his mojo again at his hometown club , do you really believe we’d have a happy addition  in the dressing room or would he most likely struggle to get going again after the kick in the guts we would have given him ? 

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

You are ignoring the psychological impact here .

Yes  we could force him to come back but how motivated would the lad be ?

He’s been a bit part player at City but has now found his mojo again at his hometown club , do you really believe we’d have a happy addition  in the dressing room or would he most likely struggle to get going again after the kick in the guts we would have given him ? 

I'm sure he has a nice tasty promotion bonus in his contract.

It would literally be for 5 months and then he is free to explore whatever options he likes. 

Matty is nothing but professional and I'm sure if he came back he would continue to act professionally. 

10 hours ago, RedRock said:

Theres not many, but leroy lita scored a lot of goals in his career.

as for taylor, his level is league 1, if afobe isnt going to be signed permanently, then theres clearly a need for a goalscorer, ntekiah is the obvious name in the short term.

Archived