IGNORED

West Bromwich Albion v Bristol City Match Day 18

Septic Peg

Two mistakes by midfield players, two goals. But the concerning thing is we have offered literally nothing that half going forward. A totally bizarre selection by the Manager and it seems to me the more players he has at his disposal the more the Bingo balls get used.

How can we play with one up front against this lot when the one up front is only interested in running in behind? This is a game where someone has to try and hold the ball up and go from there.

O’Dowda - can someone please explain what he gives us?

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

First half marks

Bentley 6
Pereira 7
COD 5
Wright 4
Williams 7
Baker 4
Nagy 6
Smith 6
Brownhill 6
Palmer 3
Weimann 6

How can you come up with figures lake that our only forward has averaged less than one touch in every 10 minutes and you give him a 6! The midfield don’t rate a 1 collectively 

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It’s a reaction to tonight’s performance not the season

It isn’t just tonight’s performance , as has been said many times how many times have we played well at home ? Tonight was always going to be a tough game and we’ve gifted them two goals, we have no threat offensively at all

Why was COD so bad? Can someone say any examples other than not beating Bartley on the byeline which is always a bit of a 50/50 thing to try anyway that can sometimes come off, sometimes doesn't.

Majority of our problems came down the other side of the pitch I thought. Apart from the goal which was all down to Palmer really. Wright brings him down but he might well have scored if he hadn't anyway. Would usually rather they have a free kick in that situation.

First half in a nutshell.

Clearly WBA are comfortably in control.

We’ve not helped ourselves - yet again - by giving the ball away far too easily. Their first was due to sloppy play by JB their second due to KP giving it away. We have, unfortunately, been guilty of this all season and it’s no surprise that the better teams will punish it.

Our formation isn’t working, AW is hardly in it and our midfield is too readily being over-run.

We have - yet again - offered no serious threat in the final third, this has been a recurring issue all season, as has been well documented.

The gulf between us and WBA illustrates that we are still a work in progress, whereas they look very much a complete team.

LJ is likely to make changes IMO maybe even at half time, if not around 60 minutes....would expect NE and FD to appear with perhaps KP and KS making way.

Looking forward....the next goal is critical, should we get it - game on, if not game over.

To row against the tide a little, I thought we now and again did ok passing it around against a pressing WBA. It is pretty toothless however. Bad mistakes by Brownhill and Palmer for me main issues behind the goals.

WBA doing everything we do but with intent. Not entirely sure they have really had to break sweat that half and it already looks a case of how many.

LJ away at the team on a good run and looking for top place does another of his ‘lets try something completely new’. 

As bad as I’ve seen us for a while. 

Men against boys - WBA fans will be delighted at halftime, they’ve done nothing and are two up. Two team mistakes punished.

Palmer gamble not worked.

Korey, love you, but why play your first game back against WBA?

Poor poor poor, LJ, you have got this one wrong tonight. 

1 minute ago, bexhill reds said:

Looking for small mercies, at least Korey's having a half-tidy game.

true. That is the only plus. 

1 minute ago, bexhill reds said:

Really not sure about COD as a wingback, probably best  breaking from midfield. 

Or just left out?

Love Wright's battling attitude, but sometimes he's just got to defend a bit better, why give the soft freekick when he could have just got tight to the man and made him pass backwards.

He’s shit, but it was more Palmer’s fault.

Palmer is just a show pony in these games, holds the ball too long and then turns into defending players, take him off, Fam on, Brownhill off, Elliason on

I’m a big fan of Palmer, I’ve been screaming for him to start for a long time, but this, without w shadow of a doubt was the least appropriate game for him to play in. 

Archived