IGNORED

Are a lot of football chants pointless?

CyderInACan

Is this a library 

Your support is fckuing shit

is that all you take away 

It’s all just a bit pointless really isn’t it? I can see how a roaring chorus of Come on you Reds or similar can get the team going but some just seem banal and not really worth the effort. 

Im sure there’s more on either side but why not sing something encouraging rather than some bollocks about the noise made by the guys in the other end of the ground!? 

I think the problem is that most of the singing at AG comes from one section and it seems to me that it's largely made up of fans who come to football for a few beers and a laugh with their mates - hence a lot of the songs are funny or irreverent. There's nowt wrong with that, and without them there would be no atmosphere at all, but I doubt that songs about cider, Rovers or Massengo's hair really gee up the players. 

9 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Is this a library 

It’s all just a bit pointless really isn’t it? I can see how a roaring chorus of Come on you Reds or similar can get the team going but some just seem banal and not really worth the effort. 

Im sure there’s more on either side but why not sing something encouraging rather than some bollocks about the noise made by the guys in the other end of the ground!? 

Yes, but so is the game itself.

Its all just a distraction from life, I wouldn’t read too much into it.

10 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Loved Forest singing come on yoo reds at AG. WE WERE the Reds you fcking knobheads

We’re guilty of singing it while we’re not in red, away at Stoke & Brentford this this season for example!

And as for the Massengo song, our fans basically joined in with the WBA version of it which made it just sound like we were joining in with their version!

People need to be aware of which team is singing & not simply join in because we have a version of that song, it’s massively embarrassing.

On 27/11/2019 at 21:15, CyderInACan said:

Is this a library 

I just think they are too negative, about how much we hate the gas, wanting to go home, insulting the opposition fans... I’d rather a more positive approach - actually spur on the team. Even our city chants are a bit too laidback and not rousing enough

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

" is a shithole, I wanna go home" is the absolute worst chant there is and seems to be sung by every away following (ours included).

You've visited that place willingly and can leave whenever you want... So go home if you want to... :dunno:

And you know that fans from genuine shitholes like Blackburn are singing this and secretly thinking "I wish I lived in Bristol".

" is a shithole, I wanna go home" is the absolute worst chant there is and seems to be sung by every away following (ours included).

You've visited that place willingly and can leave whenever you want... So go home if you want to... :dunno:

"Hilarious" when sung somewhere like Fulham or Brighton. 

Agree but Rochdale fans were brilliant in reply "but you can go home, you can go home, Rochdale's a shithole, but you can go home," 

Always thought the alternative should be, "then **** off back home, **** off back home, go back to your shithole and **** off back home" 

40 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

Bristol City.....bound for Division Two

We go crazy......down here supporting you

We havent got Stefano

But we've got Johnnie Atyeo

cant remember last bit

From a distant past when I was in the East End early 60's and sung to Daisy Daisy, give me your answer do

....“But we’ve got Johnnie Atyeo

So ring your bells and rattle like hell

On the terraces made for you” 

Of course if you tried to take a metal bell or wooden rattle into a football ground now you would be arrested. Now the last bit would have to be re- written as:

”So drink your latte and eat your canapé

In the Heineken made for you”

Archived