IGNORED

Massengo.

ohhhshauntaylor

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

He might l, bit much expecting Korey to play again. 
I have a feeling a shape change will come, but depends how we set up. We need more of a cutting edge after 1 point from the last 2 games, and being generally toothless at home for ages. I wouldn't be surprised to see Eliasson to start, with Fam in and COD missing out. A 4-3-3 , 4-1-2-3 sort of thing, with Brownhill and HNM infant of Nagy , Eliasson, Weimann and Fam front 3. 

Me too.

56 minutes ago, shelts said:

Weak as piss midfield. Need some muscle like Livermore who broke play up by any means . Brownhill awful as was Naggy 

Yep, his role, albeit got a bit more to his game than that.  Rarely goes over the top, just steadily accumulates tempo-breaking tackles, and a nice dead leg for COD.  Pretty sure I wrote somewhere that you need a ref who tots them up and cards him.  Geoff Eltringham was ok tonight, but he is not the ref to book a player of Livermore’s standing for multiple fouls.

39 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Get on message please. LJ made him captain and is talking him up to the media as a superstar in the making.

They clearly have him lined up as the next big money sale to balance the books. So don't expect him to be dropped any time soon.

and don't forget that we have an England goalkeeper in the making?

FFS, you have just got the cynic in me talking  BIG TIME

Keep seeing Nagi mentioned but he’s not been that influential at all, nor was he against Wales. LJ needs to forget reputation and go for current ability, for some reason Callum would rather play the back pass, my feeling is that is what LJ wants - the negativity has to go or we as a team are going nowhere 

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Me too.

Yep, his role, albeit got a bit more to his game than that.  Rarely goes over the top, just steadily accumulates tempo-breaking tackles, and a nice dead leg for COD.  Pretty sure I wrote somewhere that you need a ref who tots them up and cards him.  Geoff Eltringham was ok tonight, but he is not the ref to book a player of Livermore’s standing for multiple fouls.

clever . Cynical. Observer will take the ref  to task over the non caution of Livermore. A canny enforcer !!

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

He isn’t as good as Nagy, Smith or Brownhill. Fourth choice CM at the mo, potential or not

Love smith to bits but he was an absolute passenger tonight. To keep him on the pitch for the full 90 was a joke, massengo young or not, good or bad, wouldve made an impact on the game.

So, let's summarise. 

*based on the multiple oracles in the forum:

Brownhill & Nagy, both need leaving out Saturday, after tonight's performances. 

Korey needs a rest, so leave him out. 

Bring back Massengo, yep OK, but who else in midfield?

Are we unable to just accept that collectively it was a poor performance, in part eccentuated by the fact that WBA played pretty well. Livermore, Pereira and Robson-Kanu just got in to our faces at every opportunity, and we wilted. 

The first goal, Brownhill c0ck up (it happens). Their 2nd goal was just a classic free kick. The 3rd, offside and the 4th was 'lucky' in so much as Bentley's save was good, but fell to Austin from the rebound off of the post. 

We played probably the best team in the division, and lost. It happens. 

We're still (admittedly, in part due to everybody else's fragility) right in the mix. 

Last night was poor, but we'll improve. 

I think the reaction to Nagy is a bit overboard. He had a terrible game, but he played well v Forest so odd to write him off.

Pereira was also wretched but we've seen him play well.

Wright was horrendous...and that's par for the course.

7 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

It is quite strange that for 10 or more games he near enough played every minute now he can't get 1min.

Is he injured or part of Jono's master plan?

There were no alternatives, everyone was injured.

Imo , Nagy did ok, was trying to be busy. Brownhill was off the pace, and the header for their first goal highlighted how we set up opportunities for them , time after time. Smith showed flashes. Misplaced passes killed us all night. On Livermore, if he was in a red shirt he would have been booked early on, and having to be careful. That booking for Korey was a joke, specially as the limo was 2 yards away.

i can understand the formation, but the whole evening swings on bad passes. We lose possession for both goals to go 2-0, then we are chasing the game. The difference in quick short passing to feet that they did, and what we served up was stark. Yes , there were spell we knocked it around nicely, but with no outlet movement you end up hitting channels. We did look better later, but I think that was partly the game plan. Keep it tight and then push on. Two down and that plan is buggered.

9 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I feel like LJ went to 3-5-2 because we had Kalas, Williams, Baker and Moore all playing well and needing game time.

Now two of them are injured he is too slow to change it. We just don't have the right squad to play that effectively.

Go back to 4411 with Eliasson and Diedhou playing together regularly.

What happened to the days of football when teams could go an entire season with the same back 4?

Where do they make such brittle players? We certainly have a loyalty card there. 

9 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I said leading up to this game, he should have been in attacking midfield tonight with Korey and Nagy sitting, Brownhill right and Eliasson left.

Not often I disagree with you JonD. Last night was not the game for Massengo. He would have been totally dominated in the same way Nagy was. Saturday perhaps...

8 hours ago, Kempson said:

Love smith to bits but he was an absolute passenger tonight. To keep him on the pitch for the full 90 was a joke, massengo young or not, good or bad, wouldve made an impact on the game.

Trouble was he messed the selection up originally then lost O Dowda so put himself into the position where he had to keep him on.  I'd be amazed if he is involved at all versus Huddersfield.

• Admin
9 hours ago, Kempson said:

The problem was the shape had to be changed meaning the players subbed were basically forced on us

Getting the line up wrong and the injury to CO'D was the bigger problem

For Saturday.

Brownhill Nagy Massengo Eliasson

Palmer

Weimann

OR The above but with Diedhiou pairing Weimann. Yet I still think that in the medium-long run, we need to find a way to get Brownhill, Nagy and Massengo on the pitch- plus Palmer behind Weimann should fit well tactically- definitely better to date than Weimann paired with Diedhiou or Palmer behind Diedhiou.

Eliasson is a puzzle- creates the chances as we can see, yet does he have the tactical flexibility needed?

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Me too.

I thought Gibbs should have been booked on several occasions last night.

Not taking anything away from a very good Vaggies side but I sensed that the officials wanted them to win .

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

I thought Gibbs should have been booked on several occasions last night.

Not taking anything away from a very good Vaggies side but I sensed that the officials wanted them to win .

On that note.

2 offside goals albeit when we were already losing, and LJ has questioned whether their free kick goal should have stood.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spirit-game-what-rules-say-3585696

Do I think the better side won? Certainly- we got few favours though!

2 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Nagy has one poor game against the best team in the league and everyone writes him off. Was our best player by a mile on Saturday. He deserves another chance atleast

He's clearly quality - best to ignore the kneejerk reactions immediately after a game, it's just people venting. They don't necessarily mean it when they have time to reflect. 

Nagy made a mistake for the third goal but I feel he's getting a bit of an unfair slating on a night when the entire midfield was ineffective. I don't think Nagy was worse than Brownhill or Smith. All three were pretty much anonymous. At the same time, I also wonder if that was a combo of fitness and tactical instruction. Neither Smith nor, I suspect, Nagy are wholly defensive players but we seemed to be expecting them both to sit deep and it handed control of the midfield to West Brom.

I think Massengo is a more raw and inconsistent talent than the other three but I also think he has a bit more creativity and ability to do the unexpected. 

24 minutes ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Was superb today- he is an essential part of what makes us good- I’m just going to enjoy him whilst we have it- I don’t think it will be very long. 

He does things at 18 that you just don’t see from others at this level.  Saw similar “things” in another 18 year old during his time here - Tammy.

There were 2 or 3 occasions today where his perfect first touch and then body position took the sting out of pressure situation, either being able to retain the ball, get fouled or buy time for others with a perfectly weighted pass.

LJ might need to give him a rest fairly regularly, it’s a tough league, and we now have Korey to fill-in.  Seems weird saying “fill-in” re Korey, but he needs to fight his way back in.

Archived