IGNORED

S O’D v LJ

nickolas

Now only recently ive started to think theres an uncanny resemblence. 
pointless sideways backwards football in defence for instance. 
Then when i think more about it, what used to really annoy me about SOD was how pre-match he would quote how strong the opposition were and how we had to stop this, that and the other. He even had players quoting the same in interviews. We basically set up negatively to stop the other team rather than apply our strengths and let the other team worry about us. 
i think LJ is becoming an SOD-type coach! Everything is based on the other team and therefore the constant cautious approach and tactics to starting games. 
This is no ‘stupid question’, just my observations, but uncanny now i reckon. 
oh dear!!!!

I dont like setting up to counter the opposition. You dont see the likes on Man City or Liverpool doing that. They have their systems and that's that. They may tweak it ever so slightly by playing different players but that's about it. By sticking with a system it gives familiarity, players know what their roles are, where they should be etc etc. 

Constantly changing the formation can do us no good at all, one minute Cod is playing cm and then the next hes playing lwb for example. 

10 hours ago, nickolas said:

Then when i think more about it, what used to really annoy me about SOD was how pre-match he would quote how strong the opposition were and how we had to stop this, that and the other. He even had players quoting the same in interviews. We basically set up negatively to stop the other team rather than apply our strengths and let the other team worry about us. 
i think LJ is becoming an SOD-type coach! Everything is based on the other team and therefore the constant cautious approach and tactics to starting games. 
oh dear!!!!

LJ  started his career at City believing in the romance of football, who dares wins , giantkilling cup exploits, sexy attacking teams ... but as we got torn apart so often he learned the importance of staying in games.

I believe he still wants to play open attacking football but with the injuries he hasn’t been able to do so and then we started flirting with the top six and he saw that nicking points here and there worked.

He now only goes balls out when we are losing or drawing against an ‘ inférieur’ team. 

It’s called ‘ pragmatism ‘ and by and large it’s successful for us as we don’t possess a squad of Prem players.

10 hours ago, nickolas said:

oh dear!!!!

Apart from the part that Johnson can get an injury hit side to a team in the top end of the Championship. The other almost to bottom of league 1 and almost relegated to league 2. 

8 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I dont like setting up to counter the opposition. You dont see the likes on Man City or Liverpool doing that. They have their systems and that's that. They may tweak it ever so slightly by playing different players but that's about it. By sticking with a system it gives familiarity, players know what their roles are, where they should be etc etc. 

Constantly changing the formation can do us no good at all, one minute Cod is playing cm and then the next hes playing lwb for example. 

I remember seeing a pre match interview with Klopp before Liverpool vs Man city and he said he rarely looks at the oppositions lineups! 

I think LJ may be overthinking sometimes. 

Why is there this general negativity for Lee Johnson creeping in again?  He's doing a top job at City and is getting close to turning us into a top 2 contender (granted not this season, but if Afobe wasn't injured, who knows?).  City have no right or reason to be pushing for the top six again, for the third season in a row, yet here we are.  Lee's doing a top job at the moment.

S'OD was the 2nd worst manager City have had In my time (Pullis no.1) and couldn't inspire or motivate his players, or us.  During his time with City he was the most downbeat man on the planet.  Other than the defenders sometimes passing it around the back, which all defenders in the game do on occasion, I see no comparison between Lee and Sean.

23 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

The key difference is that Man City and Liverpool are two of the best teams in the world! We aren't!

Ideally we wouldn't do it, but sometimes you have to be prudent. We obviously set up to take a draw yesterday against a strong side. It's possibly our hardest away game of the season.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The key difference is that Man City and Liverpool are two of the best teams in the world! We aren't!

Ideally we wouldn't do it, but sometimes you have to be prudent. We obviously set up to take a draw yesterday against a strong side. It's possibly our hardest away game of the season.

Agreed.

Though a baseline formation or structure ie a 4-3-3, or even as we see with Sheffield United a 3-5-2- okay maybe not with the current available players- but I'd be inclined for 4-3-3 or some variant of, with only some changes within that template could help. Sheffield United an excellent example- the base is there, then barring lot of injuries or similar, they make incremental changes.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Were Liverpool one of the best teams in the world before Klopp went there?

31 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I was at an evening with Eddie Howe the other day.  He said what a great coach he was.  He thinks he's the best he's ever worked with.  He also said that he struggled with the players as he is so introverted. 

Do you mean Lee Johnson?

16 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Why is there this general negativity for Lee Johnson creeping in again?  He's doing a top job at City and is getting close to turning us into a top 2 contender (granted not this season, but if Afobe wasn't injured, who knows?).  City have no right or reason to be pushing for the top six again, for the third season in a row, yet here we are.  Lee's doing a top job at the moment.

S'OD was the 2nd worst manager City have had In my time (Pullis no.1) and couldn't inspire or motivate his players, or us.  During his time with City he was the most downbeat man on the planet.  Other than the defenders sometimes passing it around the back, which all defenders in the game do on occasion, I see no comparison between Lee and Sean.

Genuinely curious as to why you think that? It isn't about having a 'right', if that was the case Preston would not be above us in the league table and Hull would not be 3 points behind us. Nor would Sheffield United have been promoted last season and sitting where they are in the PL.

I think the frustration comes from a number of things,

1. The injuries, particularly Benik, have made us weaker BUT we have picked up a good number of points playing pretty poorly.

2. The constant changes of personnel

3 . Looking too much at the opposition and allowing them to effectively dictate our style of play and selections.

4. Dismal home performances when we only look to attack after we go behind, or at 70 minutes.

5. The fact that the opposition know this - just watch the Cowley brothers take advantage of that on Saturday.

51 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Apart from the part that Johnson can get an injury hit side to a team in the top end of the Championship. The other almost to bottom of league 1 and almost relegated to league 2. 

Who was quoting leagues and positions?! Clearly pointing out their similar traits, which i think are negative and not useful. 
i have no issue with LJ, i just see a lot of similarities. Cant deny our injury issues and we have been doing great despite them. 

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

I dont like setting up to counter the opposition. You dont see the likes on Man City or Liverpool doing that.

I appreciate it’s a totally different sport, but EVERY pre match interview Eddie Jones gives, they ask him “how will you counter this opponent or that one” and his answer is ALWAYS “ listen mate, we just have to play our game, not theirs”. 

Archived