IGNORED

My head's spinning...(Merged)

spudski

LJ gets in his own head! However that was a wake up call. 

Massengo and Elliason I predict will start on Saturday. Nagy looked leggier than smith in an awful midfield. Luckily O’Dowda can have a day off due to his dead leg which gives us a chance to move things around. Particularly as Palmer looks look a show pony who seems to think he can get away with not putting in his defensive duties, which was what LJ accused him of last season

I read a lot of shit about Bailey Wright this morning but he was ok last night. The issue was in front of him!!!

We looked utterly lightweight everywhere yesterday which as much as some my hate him Marley Watkins may get some game time. Its games like that we miss Matt Taylor, but there we are the boo boys trifecta Wright Watkins and Taylor in one post!

Once again last night, you’d have to say. I know we are currently 7th but from what I’ve seen, I don’t think we’ll be in ‘the mix’ for much longer. 

As for performances they’ve been pretty dismal to say the least. Even our victories haven’t been convincing, winning by the odd goal in ugly fashion. But looking closer at our wins...

* Last minute winner vs Charlton having not played well.

* QPR at home but I thought QPR were far better than us, only for their keeper to make a howler.

* Reading, Cardiff, Stoke again by the odd goal and not exactly convincing.

The only game I thought we’ve played well and won was probably Derby away (2-1).

The you look at the games where we’ve dropped points Barnsley (D) Wigan (D) Luton (L) Boro (D)

Those four sides are in the bottom 5 and we failed not only to win against them but also perform. If we really are serious about being in ‘the mix’ then you can’t afford slip ups like that. 

I don’t understand what our game plan and approach is. What is it? I was there last night and it looked to me the players were running around a lot but with no idea. 

Fans will say we’re progressing but I’m really struggling to see it lately in all honesty. 

7 hours ago, spudski said:

...so frustrated with this City side this season.

I watch us play and literally have no idea as to what we are trying to achieve on the pitch.

What is the game plan?

It literally looks like 11 individuals trying to do their best, but with no idea as to go about it.

Defensively..I can see it.

Offensively... it's make it up as you go along. 

It's so frustrating to watch.

We seem to try and play every conceivable type of football during the duration of a game. And hoping something comes off. Nothing looks planned. Literally a bunch of individuals using their best attributes.

What the hell are we doing in training?

I get the injuries, and I get players have below par individual performances...but take that into account, the squad still look clueless as to what they are meant to be doing offensively.

I've not witnessed us looking so tactically inept offensively for a long time.

Frustrating...as we know we have some good players and LJ can get it right.

But right now... it's amateur.

Totally agree. But who am i to say,  iv'e only been supporting them for 50 years! So bloody frustrating. Come on Lee sort it out.

6 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Being a Swindon fan for 45 years I've had to put up with lots of ups and downs and hopefully things are on the change for us and we will get out of league 2'this season.

looking in from the outside I think Bristol City are in a fantastic position with an impressive stadium, decent owner, a young manager and a huge fanbase but football is not that straight forward as we all know so all I can say is just keep in there as your time will eventually come when you get into the premiership. Yes you could change Johnson but there's still no guarantees you will get promoted with somebody new  just look at Leeds & Forest etc and there weren't many complaining after last seasons cup run.

Beeing a football fan is all about patience and looking at the table your well positioned for a play off spot so just keep believing!

Cheers, mate. Some lovely thoughts there. This is what I'm going to remember when we go 0:1 down after 5 minutes on Saturday.....

4 hours ago, Cowshed said:

The FA will turn down applicants. All are vetted thoroughly for suitability

If one chooses to breach social norms and make oneself inelligible that's an individual's choice but until one does so football coaching remains accessible to all.

6 hours ago, marmite said:

LJ was at a Senior Reds dinner not long ago and was asked a question about our "identity". His answer lasted for at least 5 minutes and he left the audience even more confused than they were before. If they couldn't understand the plan, maybe the players cant either.

It also presupposes he desires our identity to be fixed, such opposition recognise who we are, how we'll play allowing us to routinely be countered. The best teams have a structure but one that's able to flex as and when necessary. Some of the finest footballing units were not averse to cutting up rough when the situation dictated.

10 hours ago, mozo said:

One positive of this 'group' is they really try hard. They might make mistakes but they don't shirk their responsibility. I bet the stats show we work as hard as any other team. 

But West Brom didn't need to any of the frantic chasing and last ditch defending because they were just very organised and played it simple.

Spot on. We can't keep the ball for more than 3 passes. Well, hardly ever. 

It's those basic things that mean we are without the ball far more than should be the case.

The lack of doing the basics right really hurts us. 

11 hours ago, spudski said:

...so frustrated with this City side this season.

I watch us play and literally have no idea as to what we are trying to achieve on the pitch.

What is the game plan?

It literally looks like 11 individuals trying to do their best, but with no idea as to go about it.

Defensively..I can see it.

Offensively... it's make it up as you go along. 

It's so frustrating to watch.

We seem to try and play every conceivable type of football during the duration of a game. And hoping something comes off. Nothing looks planned. Literally a bunch of individuals using their best attributes.

What the hell are we doing in training?

I get the injuries, and I get players have below par individual performances...but take that into account, the squad still look clueless as to what they are meant to be doing offensively.

I've not witnessed us looking so tactically inept offensively for a long time.

Frustrating...as we know we have some good players and LJ can get it right.

But right now... it's amateur.

Absolutely spot-on. Take a bow. The whole club set-up is amateur in my opinion...riddled with nepotism and favours for mates from top to toe.

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

Spot on. We can't keep the ball for more than 3 passes. Well, hardly ever. 

It's those basic things that mean we are without the ball far more than should be the case.

The lack of doing the basics right really hurts us. 

We saw that to pretty major effect last night!

Don't look after the ball and you can really suffer at this level...we aren't all that good at this relatively basic skill a lot of the time. 

11 hours ago, Pezo said:

Too much change over the last couple years maybe? We have almost a completely different side to the one that beat Man U. Still not sure it's a good enough excuse. 

****, are we becoming the Spinal Tap of football, I wonder?

"Do you know how many drummers there has been in this band...? 

2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

If one chooses to breach social norms and make oneself inelligible that's an individual's choice but until one does so football coaching remains accessible to all.

I think you took that out of context. If you wanted to pursue a EUFA B course you have to submit evidence to prove suitability and a presentation outlining your why's. That application is appraised and vetted. It is not accessible to all and the course numbers are limited.

The Level one qualification is open to all. Its a very different thing.

For me this is the biggest problem we have at the club. There is no on field plan, it is so bits and pieces, I hate to say it I really do but I think Lee's reign should be brought into question. If we are to change our Manager, perhaps it might be the right time to do it...Now ...when relegation is not an issue, but promotion is still a possibility. 

I am beginning to think the players as as confused as we all are.

16 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

I know it's said a lot, but this Saturday is massive. A few big selection decisions and decisions about approach lay ahead for LJ and the coaches.

Can see Eliasson and Fam starting.

Which for me will ring alarm bells.

Not because they don't deserve to be considered, but imo, it would be a knee jerk reaction, rather than a game plan pre thought out to beat Huddersfield.

19 hours ago, marmite said:

LJ was at a Senior Reds dinner not long ago and was asked a question about our "identity". His answer lasted for at least 5 minutes and he left the audience even more confused than they were before. If they couldn't understand the plan, maybe the players cant either.

Decide how he wants to play & keep it simples.....that's smart. 

Stop chatting shit & confusing everyone

34 minutes ago, spudski said:

Can see Eliasson and Fam starting.

Which for me will ring alarm bells.

Not because they don't deserve to be considered, but imo, it would be a knee jerk reaction, rather than a game plan pre thought out to beat Huddersfield.

'how right you are - would still like Elliason to start mind....

For me everything's ?that we aren't about to go into 'auto stall !!

11 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

For me this is the biggest problem we have at the club. There is no on field plan, it is so bits and pieces, I hate to say it I really do but I think Lee's reign should be brought into question. If we are to change our Manager, perhaps it might be the right time to do it...Now ...when relegation is not an issue, but promotion is still a possibility. 

I am beginning to think the players as as confused as we all are.

They certainly were on Wednesday and I swear they were. As much as I like LJ the guy and all the good things he brings, like you I just wish he'd stop trying to be so clever with the avoidable chops and changes. Oh and a nice bit of attacking football in home games would be nice. 

On 28/11/2019 at 10:21, Cowshed said:

You posts have a exasperated theme.

Change is a feature of Lee Johnson in charge. The highlighted can be a consequence of his change. He is now changing around the foundation (its shape and intent) as well as the offense.

What are they doing in training? Too much. Systems are not imbedded over a session, its months, some think its months in the long term. 

A team is reflection of the ideas/ideals of its coach. This coach has lots of them. The (Championship) players are not equipped technically for the multiple ideas. The outcome of all this change should not be head spinning because its logical.

I’m inclined to agree with this. As a team, bar Luton and the other night, we have resilience which is not related to coaching, that’s just a good solid attitude and willingness to scrap. That should always be a feature of our team.

Our attacking play, however, is completely lacking an identity due to over complication imo. Whilst it’s nice to have many different ways of playing and scoring the team needs a core way of playing. Outside of set pieces we have no identity. Either attack down the middle predominantly either via a target man or balls in behind or alternatively get the ball out wide and sling crosses in predominantly BUT with enough players in the box to get on the end of them.

If the chosen “identity” isn’t working in any given game THEN that’s the time to mix it up a bit. At the moment we are trying to be everything and doing nothing from an attacking point of view. Defensively we are drilled, going forward we are anything but.

Archived