IGNORED

Tinkering v Flogging the best eleven

Major Isewater

I remember being really bored by Avram Grant’s and Ranieri’s Chelsea as the personnel were changed so often there was no ‘ joined up ‘ teamwork .

They succeeded with superior individuals.

I accept the fact that there are lots of high tempo , high pressure games these days but going back in the not too distant past the same eleven played 60 odd matches a season , injuries permitting. 

The modern game has been made too complicated and coaches overthink it.

We are witnessing the cult of ‘ superstars ‘ over the team identity and I just find it a shame .

I am off to the Seventies if anyone wants to join me . 

Liverpool don't rotate. They have a favoured formation. The players understand their roles and duties. 

We don't have superstars in our team, but we have enough technically capable young players who I believe would all benefit from the above three factors.

Is it a case of LJ being too nice?

By this I mean his willingness to keep using pretty much all of his squad in rotation, rather than sticking to a tried and trusted starting 11.

He had said quite a lot recently about players who are 'knocking on the door' and how 'everyone will be given a chance to stake their claim'.

That's all well and good, but it surely goes against building up any sort of consistency and team cohesion on the pitch.

Maybe this will change when we have everyone back fit again, who knows. Or maybe he simply doesn't have a 'strongest 11' in mind?

Try picking that 11 and then justify to us on here (never mind the playets left out)  why the other 7 or 8 will mot be playing until injury or suspension to the 'chosen few' 

Harder than you think, much harder. 

And, you imply our opposition all merit the identiical style, tactics and predictable moves of a single 11.

I prefer LJs approach which has a proven success record. 

Archived