IGNORED

Eliasson (again)

Super

29 minutes ago, Super said:

Can LJ not find a formation which will get our most creative player into the team or is he simply incapable of doing this? He simply has to play especially at home.

Agreed. I think he's a huge talent and we have to find a system we can incorporate him in. I think a 4/5/1 or 4/3/3 variant is probably our best bet.

As an example, something like..

Bentley; Pereira, Williams, Baker, Rowe; Nagy, Smith; Weimann, Brownhill, Eliasson; Diedhiou

That system also allows for HNM, O'Dowda, Palmer, Semenyo etc to get plenty of game time too. 

We have options and that system is flexible. 

Johnson's already said as much that he'll be starting on Saturday.  That's great, and long overdue, but how much of a chance will he really give him? 

If it doesn't click for him against Huddersfield will he be straight out the team again?  Even if he's amazing, does he then start against Fulham?  And if he does, what if he doesn't play well at Fulham?  He'll likely be straight back out again.

He needs to trust him, give him a few games back to back and just let him play.

21 minutes ago, Roe said:

Johnson's already said as much that he'll be starting on Saturday.  That's great, and long overdue, but how much of a chance will he really give him? 

If it doesn't click for him against Huddersfield will he be straight out the team again?  Even if he's amazing, does he then start against Fulham?  And if he does, what if he doesn't play well at Fulham?  He'll likely be straight back out again.

He needs to trust him, give him a few games back to back and just let him play.

I agree. The problem is, he'll get start, won't put in a 10 out of 10 performance and he'll then be back on the bench for 2 months.

17 minutes ago, grifty said:

We should just go for it v Huddersfield

Bentley

Pedro Williams Kalas Rowe

Nagy Brownhill

Palmer

Eliasson Fammy Weimann 

Looks good but I don't think Palmer deserves a start after his performance yesterday. Better push Brownhill up and put Massengo in to partner Nagy

5 minutes ago, 054123 said:

As much as people clammer for him to start, does nobody else feel that an ‘impact’ role is his best role? 

Im concerned he can’t deliver for 90 mins.

100% agree with you he more effective when brought on doesn’t seem to deliver in games when he rarely started and then dropped week after 

18 minutes ago, 054123 said:

As much as people clammer for him to start, does nobody else feel that an ‘impact’ role is his best role? 

I think this is a myth.  This season he's only started 3 games, and he's set up goals in the first half of 2 of those games.  You could argue that his all round game hasn't been great when he's started but who's has?  End of the day he's first for nearly all our attacking stats despite rarely playing more than 45 minutes a game.

We're notably having trouble creating chances at the moment.  It seems mental that you'd then leave out the player that is best at actually doing that.

20 minutes ago, Roe said:

I think this is a myth.  This season he's only started 3 games, and he's set up goals in the first half of 2 of those games.  You could argue that his all round game hasn't been great when he's started but who's has?  End of the day he's first for nearly all our attacking stats despite rarely playing more than 45 minutes a game.

We're notably having trouble creating chances at the moment.  It seems mental that you'd then leave out the player that is best at actually doing that.

I’m for any kind of change at the moment. Maybe it’s Nicolas, maybe it’s not. If we have genuine aspirations of improvement, then something has to change at home.

What we need more than anything is someone to get on the end of the crosses that Eliasson makes. I know it's obvious but we could have beaten Forest comfortably with the chances he created.

Starting or sub won't make a difference if none of our forwards can meet the ball in the box.

Crossing can be a very inefficent way to get goals- depends on the type of cross of course too.

We had 30 or more vs Nottingham Forest, apparently- unsure if that was attempted, completed or similar.

Crossing from the width of the 18 yard box though, that can be different- question is, how well can Eliasson roam inside to do this?

It's a subject of much debate though!

1 hour ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Looks good but I don't think Palmer deserves a start after his performance yesterday. Better push Brownhill up and put Massengo in to partner Nagy

I just imagine Palmer having a field day in that role, playing Weimann And Nick in to supply Fammy. I’d prefer Palmer in that role than Brownhill regardless of performance v WBA.

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

None more so than a lot of other players who do get starts .....

If ne starts its highly unlikely he we get left on for full 90 mins regardless of the result at around 65 mins .. ....

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

I’m concerned he’s never been given a real chance. To essentially pick Bailey Wright at the expense of a talent like Eliasson last night was bordering on criminal, especially as he was the only player on the pitch that looked remotely like affecting the previous game. 

35 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

As per the Sky stat last night:

Number of minutes: 15th in the squad

Assist: First

Crosses: First

Chances Created: First

Absolutely joke that he isn't playing.

Stats dont lie , and lj is a stats man , ne must be disheartened knowing hes benched everyweek .... can honestly see him hoing at the end of the season and being a major championship player for someone 

34 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

As per the Sky stat last night:

Number of minutes: 15th in the squad

Assist: First

Crosses: First

Chances Created: First

Absolutely joke that he isn't playing.

Thats scary. If johnson doesnt want to play a formation to suit elliasson then sell him and put the money towards someone that will suit the formation. Same with perera who seems to be an excellent right back,,,, and is much better defensively than going forward. Him and niclas could be a formidable right side partnership.

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

I would love Eliasson to sometimes just drive into the opposition penalty area where he could either shoot or draw a foul for a penalty.

He trys to cross every time but I believe we are missing a trick here .

There was one moment against Forest where he broke into the box and was 1 on 1 with the keeper albeit from a tricky angle and wouldn't take the shot.

Bit more confidence (ie. a run of starts) and he might be putting them away.

9 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

Home or away lj seems to set the team up first and foremost to hang on to the point then has to make changes when we inevitably fall behind what ever happened to the slick fast paced fooball we were treated to 2 seasonns ago

Exactly as I see it. So Negative at the moment.. Eliasson is too direct for LJ's style at home. I hope that thinking changes soon...….maybe Saturday! 

Never been as much of a fan of him as some previous to this season, but he has to start, we look so poor at the moment. 

Looked dangerous on the left last night. I've always preferred what I've seen of him out there than on the right, think it makes it easier for the strikers timing their runs as well. If he doesn't get the ball in the box, 9 times out of 10 we'll get a corner. 

I can't believe this comment though, does Johnson really not see a player who deserves to start and instead expects it of Eliasson to ask to play? Strange.

The bigger question is that the likes of Eliasson have got the right to knock on my door and demand to play. Previously it was one in 16 losses, now Eliasson for example should be asking me for a start tomorrow morning" said Johnson

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/i-apologise-lee-johnson-takes-3585856

Archived