IGNORED

Eliasson (again)

Super

14 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Never been as much of a fan of him as some previous to this season, but he has to start, we look so poor at the moment. 

Looked dangerous on the left last night. I've always preferred what I've seen of him out there than on the right, think it makes it easier for the strikers timing their runs as well. If he doesn't get the ball in the box, 9 times out of 10 we'll get a corner. 

I can't believe this comment though, does Johnson really not see a player who deserves to start and instead expects it of Eliasson to ask to play? Strange.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/i-apologise-lee-johnson-takes-3585856

Maybe hes talking metaphorically,,,, ie, his displays in training will force me to put him in??

17 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Never been as much of a fan of him as some previous to this season, but he has to start, we look so poor at the moment. 

Looked dangerous on the left last night. I've always preferred what I've seen of him out there than on the right, think it makes it easier for the strikers timing their runs as well. If he doesn't get the ball in the box, 9 times out of 10 we'll get a corner. 

I can't believe this comment though, does Johnson really not see a player who deserves to start and instead expects it of Eliasson to ask to play? Strange.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/i-apologise-lee-johnson-takes-3585856

I think it was more of him admitting he should be playing him.  The excuse before was that we were getting good results without Eliasson so you could understand if he felt he didn't fit into the system or whatever.  But when it's game after game of dull performances and very few wins of late, even LJ must realise we need that change.

• Admin

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

We got two single players capable of PL football. Bentley & Kalas. That's the problem. Eliasson is not the answer. He is not even close to being the answer.   

No offence but how often have you watched City live this season 

7 hours ago, Redpool said:

Problem we have is we constantly see players provide an impact from the bench. Next game we give them the opportunity to start and show us what they can do, and they make no impact whatsoever 

Could it be that some of those who make a good impression as subs when we are going gung ho for late equaliser or winner, are just not suited to the dreary, negative tactics that we start with in every home game.

We are using too many differing styles and need to get one style and stick to it. It's a wonder any of our players know what to do each week!

9 hours ago, Super said:

Can LJ not find a formation which will get our most creative player into the team or is he simply incapable of doing this? He simply has to play especially at home.

It’s as exasperating as his refusal to drop Pato not so long ago, we the fans who know nothing can see the advantages but LJ is blind to them - zero shots on target is not surprising when you have literally no-one to put a decent cross in with neither Elliason or Hunt on the pitch

5 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

We got two single players capable of PL football. Bentley & Kalas. That's the problem. Eliasson is not the answer. He is not even close to being the answer.   

The question is if he should be playing instead of players like COD, Palmer etc in Bristol City.

Thought you liked football players........

I think you will get very surprised when you will get to know his next club...Teams in the bottom and the midle of the Premier League would love him.

I think the same as you about Kalas and Bentley but in the future you will also se Dasilva, Massengo and Brownhill in the PL.

I know you have been starting with the glögg?

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Could it be that some of those who make a good impression as subs when we are going gung ho for late equaliser or winner, are just not suited to the dreary, negative tactics that we start with in every home game.

We are using too many differing styles and need to get one style and stick to it. It's a wonder any of our players know what to do each week!

exactly this. why cant we go gung ho from the start, we can make changes to make it dreary and boring when we are 3 nil up with 15 left to protect the win.

6 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Sheffield United have got more or less a team full of non-PL players (on paper) and yet, they aren't doing too badly right now. The truth is, it's all about circumstances in football. No one really knows what's around the corner, or who is destined to be where give or take a few outstanding individuals that are destined for great things.

1 hour ago, redsquirrel said:

exactly this. why cant we go gung ho from the start, we can make changes to make it dreary and boring when we are 3 nil up with 15 left to protect the win.

Nice in theory but I'm interested in the tactical blueprint. 

Though we did blitz West Brom back in April...certainly wasn't comfortable in the end though!

Sunderland 2018, Derby 2017? I won't even go there...tactical errors both of those days though,  IMO.

10 hours ago, 054123 said:

As much as people clammer for him to start, does nobody else feel that an ‘impact’ role is his best role? 

Im concerned he can’t deliver for 90 mins.

With all due respect mate and I think it's implied in your post, I've never understood why Managers have a habit of bringing on the flair players when we go behind instead of starting with the flair players and getting the lead? You can always sub them later and tighten up the game?

48 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

With all due respect mate and I think it's implied in your post, I've never understood why Managers have a habit of bringing on the flair players when we go behind instead of starting with the flair players and getting the lead? You can always sub them later and tighten up the game?

We've played flair players from the start not too long ago and yet with pretty mixed results- at home too!

Just checked and our team vs bottom of the League, albeit clearly improving Ipswich at home in March was:

Marinovic; Hunt, Kalas, Webster, Kelly; Pack; Eliasson, Brownhill, Paterson, Weimann; Diedhiou

Palmer came on for Paterson too- we had lots of exciting options too- and it was a horrible display!

How would you setup?

On 28/11/2019 at 13:38, Major Isewater said:

I would love Eliasson to sometimes just drive into the opposition penalty area where he could either shoot or draw a foul for a penalty.

He trys to cross every time but I believe we are missing a trick here .

Same here Major, it seems that some of our more talented players , and Nic is one, seem to be programmed ( coached) to assist rather than deliver the sucker punch of a goal when they get into the area, where I sit in S19 I see this happening on a regular basis and wonder why they are always seeking to pass rather than have a go themselves. I know from my playing days as an outside right that my job was to get the ball into the middle for the inside forwards to finish the job off and never dreamed of scoring except on one very windy day, I crossed it and it flew off the outside of my boot and curled into the goal. Happy Days.

I would love Eliasson to sometimes just drive into the opposition penalty area where he could either shoot or draw a foul for a penalty.

He trys to cross every time but I believe we are missing a trick here 

Timid sums him up for me. He's got all the attributes to be a much better player as good as he is. I can see why we signed him, a lot of potential there.

He trys to cross every time but I believe we are missing a trick here .

Been thinking this for a while, think he could flourish in a 4-3-3.  He's good out on the wing but it does limit him what he can do. Having him sit a bit more tucked in, say in line with the edge of the 18 yard box, it would open up alot more areas for him to attack. He's also got a good shot on him, I'm positive he'd bang in a few more goals from that position.  

Archived