IGNORED

Eliasson (again)

Super

37 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Best performance from a winger since ???

Leko v Derby maybe.. or do we go back to Goodridges debut v Luton. Not sure that’ll ever be beaten 

2 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

How could he not be, realistically. He scored, created two others and has generally been unplayable. Performance of the season so far let alone this match.

Yes....and he started on the left side, something I’ve been advocating.  The other thing was his assists from the right were using his right foot, going down the outside.  The first one for the OG got a little deflection, but the second was sat up perfectly for Williams....it just shouted “head me”!!!

Also, got a back post headed goal, always nice to see, but Nagy got him in one-on-one when Grabara made a great save.  

Nic has laid down the gauntlet.  Not sure why he played right side second half.

More than happy to say I saw a lot more potential in Nic’s overall performance today than I have in the past (bar the assists).  The system suited him, the tempo of our passing suited him.

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Best performance from a winger since ???

Interesting I thought Brownhill’s performance reminded me a bit of Mark Gavin.  Not as skilled as Gav admittedly.

Lots of credit to all the players today, but my picks from today are Brownhill, Nagy, Massengo, Hunt and my motm Niclas Eliasson.

I applaud you tonight young man. Finally picked to start and with that comes some added pressure of sorts because you know you can't afford to blow it.

Feel very proud tonight Niclas, and **** what a header that even a seasoned striker would be entitled to crow about.

5 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Second best attacking player in the league. Behind Mitrovic.

I might just about agree with that! He's ridiculously good. He can cross so well with either foot. Very rarely puts in a bad cross, and they're just so inviting for forwards. Afobe would have loved Eliasson's crosses for sure!

And his ability to get in crosses. It is not easy to work that yard to get balls in, but he can, with ease!

And he is so much more than someone who can beat a player, or numerous players and cross a ball so well. His decision making is so good. His ability in tight spaces, his first touch, his pace. He even looks quite strong now, finding himself in difficult positions with a player on him and coming away with ball. 

I don't think he's bad at the defensive side either. Works hard and pretty decent tackler, seen him win numerous balls when tracking full backs this season.

And now it seems he can head a ball! What a header! He was unlucky not to score 2, fantastic save that Eliasson had struck well on his right foot.

When Dasilva returns, imagine that combination on the left. I would like to see Eliasson come in field a lot more too and allow Dasilva to go on the outside. I think Eliasson can score plenty more and should be encouraged to come inside more. Mix up his game. Him or Dasilva coming in field or either going on the outside. Will be ridiculously hard for opponents to cope with.

I think Eliasson will go right to the top. Luckily we have a year extension option in his contract. But we need to get him to sign a new long term deal with us. To not play him all season from the start seems crazy to me. Been saying all season we need to find a way of playing him. You build around your best players, and Eliasson is certainly one of those.

11 hours ago, Offside said:

He was a joy to watch and deserved his goal. 

I agree with @Davefevs - I also wondered why he was switched to the right in the second half, where he wasn’t as effective. 

I haven't been to the gate often this year due to work and other commitmente , so I wasn't there but i have noticed a few comments on here about the only downfall( not that im slating him )  is Elliassion being caught out defensively at times ? 

So maybe with the game pretty much over at 4-1  LJ thinks Hunt might cover Eliassion better or cause the opposite fullback just as many problems? 

Im very glad to see him start and surely LJ has to fit a system where he plays most games now?! 

7 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

I haven't been to the gate often this year due to work and other commitmente , so I wasn't there but i have noticed a few comments on here about the only downfall( not that im slating him )  is Elliassion being caught out defensively at times ? 

So maybe with the game pretty much over at 4-1  LJ thinks Hunt might cover Eliassion better or cause the opposite fullback just as many problems? 

Im very glad to see him start and surely LJ has to fit a system where he plays most games now?! 

I don't think Eliasson is at all bad defensively. Puts in a shift and tracks his man, putting in challenges.

Him being moved to the right may have been as we had Fam up top on his own, he wanted wingers to naturally come more narrow to support him, Eliasson left footed on the right, Weimann right footed on the left.

I think it was probably 5-2 wasn't it when the change was made? Hunt was really struggling in the second half and Pereira really improved us on that side when he came on for him imo.

Just now, JonDolman said:

I don't think Eliasson is at all bad defensively. Puts in a shift and tracks his man, putting in challenges.

Him being moved to the right may have been as we had Fam up top on his own, he wanted wingers to naturally come more narrow to support him, Eliasson left footed on the right, Weimann right footed on the left.

I think it was probably 5-2 wasn't it when the change was made? Hunt was really struggling in the second half and Pereira really improved us on that side when he came on for him imo.

Thanks thats helpful feedback Jon , I know lots of ppl on here and people I know who go the gate regularly really rate Eliassion espcially this season! So I feel like he has to be a mainstay now?! , I wonder if LJ rated Cod/Palmer higher until now? 

On a side note its Good to have Hunt back and for Pereira to have compeition again!! 

2 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

Thanks thats helpful feedback Jon , I know lots of ppl on here and people I know who go the gate regularly really rate Eliassion espcially this season! So I feel like he has to be a mainstay now?! , I wonder if LJ rated Cod/Palmer higher until now? 

On a side note its Good to have Hunt back and for Pereira to have compeition again!! 

Yep. Eliasson should have been starting all season imo. 

I am not sure where Palmer would fit in to this side. O'Dowda at least could come in for any of the 3 behind Diedhiou if they were to get injured.

Hunt had a very good first half. For me I would go with Pereira, but not a lot in it, and completely get those that would choose Hunt. Not a bad problem to have!

4 hours ago, miketh2nd said:

I still think he comes up short defensively, he's better than he was, and is more aware of his duties now. I think that was why COD got the nod over NE so often. It was better yesterday as we had not just Hunt giving him options, but Brownhill too.  With Palmer , I'm certain if Afobe had stayed fit KP would have been a regular starter. He had plenty of movement ahead of him, when you include Weimann , and they were developing a real partnership . If , in the unlikely event we got Nketia that might work again. Another thing that may have helped yesterday, it looked like Fam was pulling left more ( something I've seen mentioned on here), I had a look on the heat map and although we still favour the right,  we did have someone going left to spread their defence a little.

On 30/11/2019 at 18:56, TomF said:

Leko v Derby maybe.. or do we go back to Goodridges debut v Luton. Not sure that’ll ever be beaten 

I'm afraid I will beat you! Goodridge out trumped himself with his performance against Millwall in the cup - ate them alive! 

This sounds utterly ridiculous writing it, but for 90 minutes against Liverpool at home, Junior Bent very temporarily became the best winger on the planet! 

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

Someone put me out of my misery and put up the words to the song they sing about NE btw

It's doing my head in

Heeeeee's from Sweden
He only cost 2 million
His crosses are ******* brilliant
Eliasson

Roughly to the tune of She's Electric by your favourite band.

On 01/12/2019 at 07:33, JonDolman said:

Got caught ball watching from a couple of Huddersfield throw-ins, where taker got in round the back of him.  One led to the cross that Grant should’ve headed home.

His positional sense and discipline v Reading was awful.

But he did better at Barnsley.

He is not natural in his defending.  O’Dowda switches off too.

But let’s hope we are continuing to talk about his attacking threat going forward.  What I liked about him starting left on Saturday was that he didn’t hug the left touchline.  He did give that option, but importantly he drifted infield too.  I can’t remember the build up to the right footed shot in the inside right position from Nagy pass, but the whole fluidity was great to watch.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Got caught ball watching from a couple of Huddersfield throw-ins, where taker got in round the back of him.  One led to the cross that Grant should’ve headed home.

His positional sense and discipline v Reading was awful.

But he did better at Barnsley.

He is not natural in his defending.  O’Dowda switches off too.

But let’s hope we are continuing to talk about his attacking threat going forward.  What I liked about him starting left on Saturday was that he didn’t hug the left touchline.  He did give that option, but importantly he drifted infield too.  I can’t remember the build up to the right footed shot in the inside right position from Nagy pass, but the whole fluidity was great to watch.

I saw the game back again a couple of hours ago. I only saw one time a ball was played through to Huddersfield player to the byeline where Eliasson's body position wasn't right so couldn't stay with him. Nearly got a block in though once he had turned his body properly and sprinted to attempt the block.

Other than that he made some very good interceptions second half where he had a lot more defensive work to do as Huddersfield had a period of domination. One time he made a great challenge before running with the ball and doing a superb diagonal cross field pass straight to feet.

I have in recent times thought Eliasson is far more than just a winger who can get crosses in. He looks so much stronger than he was and I believe his game will go onto another level now. It probably already has, but he hasn't been given starts to really show it.

I thought he helped stop Huddersfield push us back on the right side when LJ had gone 4141 second part of second half. We mainly controlled it from that point. Eliasson was so involved on that right side with support from Brownhill in now a slightly more central role, and Pereira joining in too.

I think Eliasson can certainly score a lot of goals in the future. That move was fantastic where Eliasson nearly scored with his right foot. Struck it well and it was a fantastic save. Nagy controlled the ball with one foot out of the air and passed instantly with the other - what class.

I think at the moment Eliasson has to mainly play left as we don't have much down that side. I would not mind him central at some point if things need changing - maybe LJ may feel Dasilva does not need Eliasson ahead of him and will find a new role for Eliasson.

I imagine Massengo and Nagy in midfield with Eliasson in the attacking ree role. I expect it would be so hard to pick up Eliasson in that position.

Archived