IGNORED

Kalas n Moore

extonsred

• Admin

From the Bristol Post AFTER WBA

Following the 4-1 loss we asked head coach Lee Johnson for an update on the two important defenders and the response was mixed.

Moore, who underwent a scan earlier this week, is expected back imminently but it could well be a longer lay-off for Kalas as he battles  a long-standing problem with tendonitis in his knee, which flared up after the 1-0 win over Cardiff City.

"Moore's close. He's not a million miles away. He had a bit of swelling on the knee but it was good news from the surgeon," said Johnson.

"Kalas is difficult to say at the moment, I'll be honest with you. It could be one of them that's three days or it could be one of them that's three weeks I'm not sure."

From the Bristol Post BEFORE WBA

Tomas Kalas

Notably absent from the Forest draw with a knee injury as he signed autographs in the Lansdown Stand, Tomas Kalas has missed more than two months due to injury this season already.

Fortunately, it doesn’t look like another extended time on the sidelines for the Czech Republic international who aggravated a previous issue when he trained immediately after playing against Cardiff.

Johnson said after Saturday’s game: "Kalas has got a longstanding tendonitis issue - another by-product of international training regimes.

"I think Kalas has got to be stronger - he played on the Sunday and trained fully on the Monday."

Kalas is expected to return for City sooner rather than later, but the recurring knee issue does mean he’s a potential absence for the trip to West Brom.

Taylor Moore

The centre-half has forced himself into the first-team fold this season following injuries and departures but was absent himself from Saturday’s game, also with a knee complaint.

"Taylor Moore has had a scan on his knee - hopefully it’s not too bad. It could just be bone bruising," Johnson added.

"But he has got to get it assessed. He's getting swelling on the knee and when you get that at 22 I don't want to risk it. He's got a bright future ahead of him and has done well."

Jack Hunt

The full-back’s hamstring injury has sidelined him for over a month, but his return looks imminent.

Last week Dean Holden admitted he could be contention for the Forest game but he just missed out on the matchday squad.

Speaking after the goalless draw with Forest, Johnson added that, barring any further issues, the full-back will be in contention for Wednesday night.

36 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I prefer Moore and Kalas. However the back three were fine last night. The shambolic play by a lightweight midfield who kept giving the ball away in front of them in possession and not competing when out of possession put them under pressure constantly. 

I have to say I think BW is a liability. He's always committed but he's 5th choice CB for me.

2 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I have to say I think BW is a liability. He's always committed but he's 5th choice CB for me.

Yes he doesn’t play if everyone is fit and in form I agree. However he was in no way responsible for an awful display in and out of possession and shambolic passing. But he is the target as usual. He was ok...what the **** were the seven, plus subs in front of him doing!

32 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Yes he doesn’t play if everyone is fit and in form I agree. However he was in no way responsible for an awful display in and out of possession and shambolic passing. But he is the target as usual. He was ok...what the **** were the seven, plus subs in front of him doing!

Indeed it was a shambolic performance, none of them seemed to be able to cope with being pressed.

13 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Indeed it was a shambolic performance, none of them seemed to be able to cope with being pressed.

No they could not. WBA seemed more powerful and our lightweights Nagy Smith Palmer Odowda Brownhill simply were not strong enough.

We needed a Livermore but had two crocks a show pony Brownhill and Odowda!

A big lesson. Sometimes its not about formations its about brute force and ignorance

1 minute ago, Drew Peacock said:

Certainly sums up Livermore!   How he did not get booked last night I do not know.

Exactly...However if he was on our side we would have won...It was eye opening how much he bullied our players and how much he got away with. Its games like these where LJ sits and analyzes shit for hours on formations that he missed the obvious, power!! The only players we have got to really combat that sort of bullying are Watkins and Taylor...Our entire midfield Han no idea how to cope and as such were dominated into poor decisions and giving the ball away...

Yet according to some its still Wright’s fault...LMFAO

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I prefer Moore and Kalas. However the back three were fine last night. The shambolic play by a lightweight midfield who kept giving the ball away in front of them in possession and not competing when out of possession put them under pressure constantly. 

I don't think any of the back three were a problem in and of themselves. I just don't think it works tactically playing that way without a Kalas or Moore who is comfortable on the ball. The midfield were poor and gave away possession but that was in part due to a lack of options which directly stems from a deep-lying midfield with three defensive players behind them. If you've got few people to pass to and few options to put pressure on the opposition then it is inevitable that you will lose the ball eventually and, in the first half, there were six players grouped in a relatively small space in our own half, two players isolated up front and two players on the flanks that were the only real options, one of whom spent a portion of the first half injured.

You put a defender who can pass a bit more and bring the ball forward into the team and immediately the midfield can step up closer to the forwards, there is less pressure on the back three when we are on the ball and we have more space to play.

None of that is Wright or Baker's fault. I don't think Wright got a lot wrong and Baker was solid and have a couple of very good moments. I just think playing a back three without Kalas or Moore creates tactical problems elsewhere on the pitch and led to us getting exposed last night.

47 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly...However if he was on our side we would have won...It was eye opening how much he bullied our players and how much he got away with. Its games like these where LJ sits and analyzes shit for hours on formations that he missed the obvious, power!! The only players we have got to really combat that sort of bullying are Watkins and Taylor...Our entire midfield Han no idea how to cope and as such were dominated into poor decisions and giving the ball away...

Yet according to some its still Wright’s fault...LMFAO

I'm not sure but certainly would have made a difference.

Power is perhaps becoming less important in the modern game.

Gamesmanship- experience?

16 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don't think any of the back three were a problem in and of themselves. I just don't think it works tactically playing that way without a Kalas or Moore who is comfortable on the ball. The midfield were poor and gave away possession but that was in part due to a lack of options which directly stems from a deep-lying midfield with three defensive players behind them. If you've got few people to pass to and few options to put pressure on the opposition then it is inevitable that you will lose the ball eventually and, in the first half, there were six players grouped in a relatively small space in our own half, two players isolated up front and two players on the flanks that were the only real options, one of whom spent a portion of the first half injured.

You put a defender who can pass a bit more and bring the ball forward into the team and immediately the midfield can step up closer to the forwards, there is less pressure on the back three when we are on the ball and we have more space to play.

None of that is Wright or Baker's fault. I don't think Wright got a lot wrong and Baker was solid and have a couple of very good moments. I just think playing a back three without Kalas or Moore creates tactical problems elsewhere on the pitch and led to us getting exposed last night.

Spot on form - more efficient n more mobile back 4 makes big big difference

2 minutes ago, extonsred said:

Spot on form - more efficient n more mobile back 4 makes big big difference

Could even slot into a back 5 if we had Hunt-Kalas-Moore-DaSilva available- play that higher line, pass the ball better- one of Williams or Baker just to sit or in Williams case sit and pass a bit.

A back 4 of Hunt-Kalas-Moore-DaSilva with say Nagy in front between the midfield and defence, that could be excellent- Bentley may hit it long a bit less too!

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm not sure but certainly would have made a difference.

Power is perhaps becoming less important in the modern game.

Gamesmanship- experience?

Maybe gamesmanship is a factor. Again Taylor and Watkins for all their perceived inefficiencies have that in spades. However I think power is a big factor and is becoming bigger as the human condition increases our natural strength and physique. City spend crap loads of money on conditioning and body mass tracking. Either way it was evident to me power was a factor last night and our lightweights got bullied!

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

Maybe gamesmanship is a factor. Again Taylor and Watkins for all their perceived inefficiencies have that in spades. However I think power is a big factor and is becoming bigger as the human condition increases our natural strength and physique. City spend crap loads of money on conditioning and body mass tracking. Either way it was evident to me power was a factor last night and our lightweights got bullied!

You mention he got away with quite a bit- that's the gamesmanship and experience aspect?

Like I say. I'm not so convinced because of the whole way that physicality in football is and has been becoming less of a factor over the years.

We can agree to disagree on physicality however they are top.

We had both Nagy And Smith in midfield one is an international the other has quite literally 100s of games and neither of them got near the guy. He crippled Odowda and Palmer was obviously scared. 

I don’t think we lacked experience we lacked someone who was not intimidated in midfield. 

I gotta sign off for thanksgiving lunch for now but always interested In Your thoughts!

Archived