IGNORED

1-0 down after 5 minutes on Saturday . . .

CyderInACan

. . . and I wonder what the reaction will be from the crowd? 

There's a lot of negative stuff on here - so I wonder if the reaction will be similar and a chorus of boos rings around the ground or will it more more positive and try to cheer the boys on?

Hopefully we can be the ones to get an early goal and build from there!

I don't think Otib is too unrepresentative tbh.

There's all sorts here - from the older fans to the very young; from guys who are occasional fans along for a beer with their mates, to blokes who write virtual essays on tactics and seem to spend all their spare time watching football. A good smattering of female fans too.

On FB and Twitter, opinions on City now, and Johnson in particular, can be even more extreme.

I don't think Otib is excessively negative in that context. There are legitimate causes for concern.

Anyway, relax about Saturday, because I'm not going and that has always meant I miss the one match where the team really turns it on and gives 110%.

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

There's all sorts here - from the older fans to the very young; from guys who are occasional fans along for a beer with their mates, to blokes who write virtual essays on tactics and seem to spend all their spare time watching football. A good smattering of female fans too.

On FB and Twitter, opinions on City now, and Johnson in particular, can be even more extreme.

I don't think Otib is excessively negative in that context. There are legitimate causes for concern.

Anyway, relax about Saturday, because I'm not going and that has always meant I miss the one match where the team really turns it on and gives 110%.

Have you considered ‘ not going ‘ more regularly ?

I just hope we try to play some positive attacking style at home for a change. The cautious approach we play will never get the majority on their feet. Great for possession stats but playing 6 or 8 passes along the back line is never exciting. I know its a chicken and egg thing but for me its what is happening on the pitch, not the terraces, that affects my mood. I am the one paying to be entertained. The crowd will react when there is something to react to. 

1 minute ago, 77 punk said:

we get 20000 gates how many people are on otib at one time ? i guess 100-200 so percentage wise it is a drop in the ocean

Exactly this. Active OTIB members who actually have a significant presence on the forum represent a very small percentage of the fan base. The number who are relentlessly hostile towards Johnson and vociferously negative after any defeat probably number less than 3 figures and are actually a tiny fraction of a match day crowd, upon which they will have little or no impact.

Their influence on the forum itself is another matter. Although there are relatively few of them, they make more noise than everyone else put together and generate a toxic culture that can dominate out of all proportion to their actual number, which is something that happens on just about all social media platforms and not just football forums. For some reason, negativity and hostility provoke more reaction than balance and fairness.

Their contributions, if you can call them that, invariably reveal more about the people who wrote them than they will ever tell you about football. The only reason they make any impression is that some people can’t resist engaging with them, even if it is to disagree. The solution should be obvious.

30 minutes ago, marmite said:

I just hope we try to play some positive attacking style at home for a change. The cautious approach we play will never get the majority on their feet. Great for possession stats but playing 6 or 8 passes along the back line is never exciting. I know its a chicken and egg thing but for me its what is happening on the pitch, not the terraces, that affects my mood. I am the one paying to be entertained. The crowd will react when there is something to react to. 

If only it was!

We've averaged just about <50% at home this season- w'e're not really a possession based side!

If anyone hears some atmosphere at AG on Saturday, please let us all know. Because the Forest game was like a library. As sung by the Forest fans. Embarrassingly quiet in Lower Lansdown.

We definitely need an early goal - before it turns toxic at AG! Got to stay positive.

3 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

If anyone hears some atmosphere at AG on Saturday, please let us all know. Because the Forest game was like a library. As sung by the Forest fans. Embarrassingly quiet in Lower Lansdown.

We definitely need an early goal - before it turns toxic at AG! Got to stay positive.

Different perspectives..... atmosphere 2nd half was good. As for lwr Lansdown, where I was sitting there was plenty of singing and the atmosphere decent.

I would like to add that the fans have turned up at the gate a lot more pumped up and wanting a good game than the team of late!

The atmosphere is brilliant when the team give us something to cheer about - perhaps our coach should keep that in mind when he makes his selections and tells the team which of his wild tactical schemes they need to follow. 
I don’t really mind if things don’t always go our way, I do mind the dross our management gives us, a good and well played 90 minutes will do me!

7 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

Exactly this. Active OTIB members who actually have a significant presence on the forum represent a very small percentage of the fan base. The number who are relentlessly hostile towards Johnson and vociferously negative after any defeat probably number less than 3 figures and are actually a tiny fraction of a match day crowd, upon which they will have little or no impact.

Their influence on the forum itself is another matter. Although there are relatively few of them, they make more noise than everyone else put together and generate a toxic culture that can dominate out of all proportion to their actual number, which is something that happens on just about all social media platforms and not just football forums. For some reason, negativity and hostility provoke more reaction than balance and fairness.

Their contributions, if you can call them that, invariably reveal more about the people who wrote them than they will ever tell you about football. The only reason they make any impression is that some people can’t resist engaging with them, even if it is to disagree. The solution should be obvious.

although in fairness Cliff I'd say that your by-line "... he beheld the city, and wept..." reflects a more nuanced view of life at the Gate down the years! 

I agree that the forum is unrepresentative, in reality no one will make a fuss at matches because City fans are pretty apathetic...might bring themselves to boo a bit on the day we get relegated...

41 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We are quite apathetic but not always...Do we remember the crowd turning vs Fulham in 2017 after a disastrous bit of play By Matthews put them 2 up?

Seem to recall loud and not once either chants of 'We want Johnson out.'

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bristol-city-fans-call-for-johnson-sacking-qt98vxjz8

Remember, and the crowd reaction, but that as I recall was a particular low point and a very bad run and don’t think we’re anywhere near that personally 

8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I stay very clear of our FB and Twitter pages. Full of people who over react, win a game and we are going to win the league, lose and we are going to be relegated. 

Everyone wants to have their say too, on here reactions are kept in a few threads, on the FB page, everyone starts their own thread to air their opinions. I honestly get the feeling some people enjoy us losing as they then are able to have a moan and get attention for that moan. 

A large majority of our following on twitter and FB are unable to spell either, even in this day and age of predictive text!

5 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I stay very clear of our FB and Twitter pages. Full of people who over react, win a game and we are going to win the league, lose and we are going to be relegated. 

Everyone wants to have their say too, on here reactions are kept in a few threads, on the FB page, everyone starts their own thread to air their opinions. I honestly get the feeling some people enjoy us losing as they then are able to have a moan and get attention for that moan. 

A large majority of our following on twitter and FB are unable to spell either, even in this day and age of predictive text!

I bet if we could instigate a 'verified fan' feature across social media we'd find a large percentage of the neigh-sayers have probably seen as many Real Madrid home games as City home games.

Archived