IGNORED

The club Twitter / Website - do they get it?

Mr Popodopolous

9 minutes ago, HayBCFC said:

I don’t get this argument.

The social media “traffic” under Adam Baker in that 2017/18 season was incredible. The goal GIFs love them or loathe them went completely viral, everyone was talking about us, laughing at them and now even copying us.

Fast forward two years and you have some mundane tw*t who doesn’t have a clue how to interact with our fans, doesn’t get us and often attempts to tweet horrendously unfunny shite that gets bad reactions.

How on earth can the decision to bin Adam Baker be viewed as a success when all of that is taken into account?

Exactly - I haven't checked the stats but I bet they got more positive engagement on Tweets under Baker (who isn't 'generation x'!) than now.

The original Gif concept (whether by luck or design) was a masterstroke and it's a concept many clubs use now, inspired by us. Well done to them for that. Makes it all the more puzzling how they replaced him.

1 minute ago, lenred said:

Taking the piss out of that bloke, one of our own who I guess is a passionate City fan, is just sad and crass  - on their behalf.  Don’t really get that Nagy one tbh.  

The rugby social media is just as bad - the other day they posted something basically saying Bris were top of the league because of their rebrand. Didn’t go down too well. Guessing its run by the same team though  

Don’t agree that it’s solely aimed at young people either - whatever age you are some of the shi te they come out with is just completely cringeworthy and embarrassing and occasionally confrontational.  But it’s just about hits I guess.  Just smacks of desperation though imho. 

Agreed. Very odd tweet about that fan, did they get his permission? I'd be furious if they didn't and that was a relative of mine put up for ridicule like that.

I assume the rugby stuff is also ran by the same team at the very least, clearly the same KPIs. 

I think there is space for a bit of humour here and there, but it has to be very well timed and relevant to a range of audiences. At the moment the club take a popular meme and butcher it - not very funny for anyone. As said above, Adam Baker got it right - coincidentally he was a true City fan, funny that.

12 minutes ago, HayBCFC said:

The social media “traffic” under Adam Baker in that 2017/18 season was incredible. The goal GIFs love them or loathe them went completely viral, everyone was talking about us, laughing at them and now even copying us.

Fast forward two years and you have some mundane tw*t who doesn’t have a clue how to interact with our fans, doesn’t get us and often attempts to tweet horrendously unfunny shite that gets bad reactions.

How on earth can the decision to bin Adam Baker be viewed as a success when all of that is taken into account?

Out of interest do actually know why he left or so called got forced out? ... 

Looks like he is working for bbc wiltshire now going by his tweets... im sure it was all the clubs fault.... i seem to remember seeing him getting more and more responsiblities as time went on there is a chance he didnt enjoy the added jobs... i don't know any of the answers by the way..... 

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'd understand if they did love it, but most of the rubbish they post genuinely doesn't go down well with anyone.

Read the responses to the tweets I posted and you'll see.

'Targeting generation X' is a lazy excuse organisations use for left-field content. I have experience in the field and the way City go about it is all wrong, really bottom of the barrel content. 

Thats like saying everyone that reads this forum contributes in post form... i know lots of people who will just read the forums ...

I agree with some of what your saying the club should do it better but also think some of there video clip content and reminders of goals are put together nicely! 

16 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

Thats like saying everyone that reads this forum contributes in post form... i know lots of people who will just read the forums ...

I agree with some of what your saying the club should do it better but also think some of there video clip content and reminders of goals are put together nicely! 

Yes the actual content people want to see - videos and highlights packages - are good.

It’s the extra cringeworthy stuff people dislike. The responses to those tweets say a lot, many of those people are the audience the club will say they’re aiming at. 

2 hours ago, lenred said:

Taking the piss out of that bloke, one of our own who I guess is a passionate City fan, is just sad and crass  - on their behalf.  Don’t really get that Nagy one tbh.  

The rugby social media is just as bad - the other day they posted something basically saying Bris were top of the league because of their rebrand. Didn’t go down too well. Guessing its run by the same team though  

Don’t agree that it’s solely aimed at young people either - whatever age you are some of the shi te they come out with is just completely cringeworthy and embarrassing and occasionally confrontational.  But it’s just about hits I guess.  Just smacks of desperation though imho. 

the rugby one is prob ran by the same idiot who runs ours

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well, I haven't even used Twitter so much of late but what is that I must say!

Some of their content is not bad but there isn't half some crap they put up such as this...why get rid of Adam Baker??

I think people seem to respond well to 'throwback' highlights of games, match highlights in general and some of the snazzier mood building video packages. They're all pretty decent.

Unanimously people seem to apathetic to the meaningless filler posts (such as which players birthday it is ?!) but hate the poor jokes and slightly confrontational attitude. I remember them responding directly to @ExiledRobin fairly recently in an inappropriate way. Not how a professional club should act in my opinion.

• Admin
29 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Unfollowed it about eighteen months ago, absolute drivel.

If only there was a way for me to stop having to hear the garbage that comes out of the mouth of ‘Downsy’ at the game.

I hope that you are not on the clubs Instagram account @bearded_red It has turned into the Downsy roadshow recently on there to !

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

I hope that you are not on the clubs Instagram account @bearded_red It has turned into the Downsy roadshow recently on there to !

I don't want to criticise the guy personally for just doing his job, but i'm still perplexed by him as a choice for his role. Seems obvious to me - his tone, style and delivery is all wrong for the football audience. 

I'm sure he's a lovely guy but I think it's a bizarre choice. 

3 hours ago, HayBCFC said:

For the record the gif idea was not Adam’s, but Joel Osborne’s, the Flyers Senior Media man.  It was used by the Flyers the season before.  His content (and his team) produce some fantastic stuff.

Here’s one from the build up to the All-Stars.  It’s consistent with the sports itself and the fans.

I don’t think they ever post anything that’s out of spirit with The Flyers, Basketball, the BBL and good natured rivalry with other BBL clubs.

Generally speaking, I don't think the social media accounts are aimed at the type of people (age demographic specifically) who complain about its content. 

It's a world I seem to have caught the back end of, I sort of get it, sort of don't. 

But, if it's engaging young people and promoting the club to new fans then good. In my experience the love of football (both watching and playing) is a lot less a given than when I was a school kid. Too much variety of entertainment now, for football to be the absolute priority like it was even 15 years ago when I was in my mid teens. 

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Just thank your lucky stars we don;t have "Simba Cam" at the Football. Or "Dance Cam" for that matter. . . 

I agree, that is absolutely awful. But the number of people who jump up and start waving, dancing and lifting kids up when it starts is staggering. I must be surrounded by drunks at the games as no sober person would join in willingly would they?!!!

1 hour ago, J-mat said:

Generally speaking, I don't think the social media accounts are aimed at the type of people (age demographic specifically) who complain about its content. 

It's a world I seem to have caught the back end of, I sort of get it, sort of don't. 

But, if it's engaging young people and promoting the club to new fans then good. In my experience the love of football (both watching and playing) is a lot less a given than when I was a school kid. Too much variety of entertainment now, for football to be the absolute priority like it was even 15 years ago when I was in my mid teens. 

People often say this but I bet the demographic that follow the twitter feed is a bit older than people assume. I have experience within the field so do have understanding of it to say this with relative certainty. 

I assume that demographic targeting would probably be their excuse, but it's often an excuse given by organisations that don't really have a proper digital strategy - it's lazy and often means they feel it gives them carte blanch to churn out rubbish. 

Also, it's interesting how those that often give the most vehement criticism in response are clearly within the assumed demographic target.  It really isn't engaging people - apart from those taking the time to tell the club to f off. Read the replies to the tweet where they singled out the fan from last night.

https://twitter.com/BristolCity/status/1220055276990038016?s=20

This reply below has almost as many 'likes' as the original tweet. Considering that it is buried within the replies that's quite telling.

https://twitter.com/dayusz/status/1220130131211169792?s=20

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I agree, that is absolutely awful. But the number of people who jump up and start waving, dancing and lifting kids up when it starts is staggering. I must be surrounded by drunks at the games as no sober person would join in willingly would they?!!!

I'm usually pretty drunk at rugby TBF and I think it's terrible! 

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think this thread would be useful reading for @JerrySLO to feedback to the media team.

Thing is, the club aren't stupid. They can see replies to tweets and monitor this forum so they'll know people don't like their current comms strategy. That's what makes it even more annoying - they blindly press on with it regardless.

For me im on less social media less and less , by the way not having a dig at you. As i think these forums are a great place to agree to disagree. 

I do agree that all fans should be able enjoy the twitter feed the same as with Downsy but suppose its what our media team want to be cringe like a lot of clubs. 

It would be interesting to see our twitter hits stats  since adam leaving for sure ?

I was thinking of asking Jerry about the music and pre Match build up. I don’t really know how to broach the subject. I’m not a fan of lots of talk on the mic, and would like a return to One for the Bristol City. It has been discussed on other threads, how other clubs use lots of different music but no talk (until the team comes out). What do people think? 
I do think the fans should have the choice of music that our team walk out to. It’s our club after all

7 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I was thinking of asking Jerry about the music and pre Match build up. I don’t really know how to broach the subject. I’m not a fan of lots of talk on the mic, and would like a return to One for the Bristol City. It has been discussed on other threads, how other clubs use lots of different music but no talk (until the team comes out). What do people think? 
I do think the fans should have the choice of music that our team walk out to. It’s our club after all

Why not email Downsy and ask him for a response.

downsy@bcfc.co.uk

11 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

The build up music is the same every match isn’t it? They just press play etc and is that countdown video ever changed?

17 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

It's a similar situation with getting rid of someone who understood the fanbase in the media team (Adam B) and replacing him with someone from outside who doesn't understand the support in the same way. It was exactly the same in the way they removed (or whatever happened) @Tim S and replaced him with some young guy from outside.

Tim had done it for years, and although you'll never please everyone in a role like that, it wasn't broken - so why fix it? He did a really good job I felt. Understood the mood of the fans.

• Admin
1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Which is ironic considering what is done for the rugby 

Screenshot_20200123-182933_Samsung Internet.jpg

4 hours ago, ThomasReid97 said:

It's been awful for ages. Ryan Morgan is the guy in charge. Hes a Watford fan who clearly doesnt know anything about the club.

Linkedin: https://uk.linkedin.com/in/ryan-morgan-188927b0

Twitter: https://twitter.com/RyanMorganMedia

Hello hello?, whats going on? Whats all this shouting.?.. We'll have no trouble here ! 

Watford you say?

This is a Local Club for Local People. "COYR's!!"

Theres nothing for you here... 

Ohh & mind The (Watford) Gap!

11 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think this thread would be useful reading for @JerrySLO to feedback to the media team.

Thing is, the club aren't stupid. They can see replies to tweets and monitor this forum so they'll know people don't like their current comms strategy. That's what makes it even more annoying - they blindly press on with it regardless.

To be honest I doubt those are the metrics they're following. The people who post angry, often quite personal replies aren't normally the people you pay the most attention to.

Archived