IGNORED

Drop Weimann

Berkshire Red

Now this is unlikely to be a popular opinion, but could it be that he doesn't fit into the style of football we play at home. The guys absolute class and doesn't stop running all game, but it seems our home tactic resolves largely around slow possession football as opposed to fast football in the break. 

Would it be worth a trying a 4-3-3 with odowda and eliasson either side of fam? It seems we always resort to long ball football after 60 mins and often grab a late equaliser so why not start out that way? 

I like weimann and dropping our leading goalscorer seems mad, but he doesn't seem so effective at home and we have got a large chunk of our goals at home from this long ball style. Would also give eliasson his run in the team

41 minutes ago, City18 said:

Now this is unlikely to be a popular opinion, but could it be that he doesn't fit into the style of football we play at home. The guys absolute class and doesn't stop running all game, but it seems our home tactic resolves largely around slow possession football as opposed to fast football in the break. 

Would it be worth a trying a 4-3-3 with odowda and eliasson either side of fam? It seems we always resort to long ball football after 60 mins and often grab a late equaliser so why not start out that way? 

I like weimann and dropping our leading goalscorer seems mad, but he doesn't seem so effective at home and we have got a large chunk of our goals at home from this long ball style. Would also give eliasson his run in the team

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

18 starts- 6 goals, 2 assists, none of them IIRC penalties.

Pretty good tbh, when the all-round package factored in- question whether we even have been playing to his strengths of late either. Certainly wouldn't be dropping him just yet...

Been pondering the same today.  Really rate Weimann, and in an ideal world (imho) we would be playing Weimann, and to his strengths.  But.....

......we seem to be having a crises of identity, and Fam has 5 goals from 7 starts (7 subs) from 814 minutes (equivalent of 9 games)...and I’d be hypocritical to ignore stats like these.

Should we be turning this round and suggestion a partner for Fam.

Watkins - two more physical forwards.  Will run and run too, compensation a bit for Fam

Rodri - the big man little man combo.

Semenyo - brute force - think Preston away last season.

I guess if you are gonna go one of these, then you’ve got to go Eliasson, and that means some 442 variant....and Eliasson on the left please.

Could we play a front six of:

Brownhill | Massengo | Nagy | Eliasson

Diedhiou | Watkins

It’s all about the result Saturday.  In fact it’s not, we also need a performance to give the crowd something to cling to, and in return give the players confidence.

I think Smith did Ok last night, but he isn’t up to speed (you could see he wasn’t sharp up top last night) and we need to go careful with him, and 90 last night was a big ask.

You could play Weimann on RW, but perhaps a game out of the firing line, might be timely.

I feel like I’ve thrown all my Footie philosophies in the bin with this, but sometimes you need to take action to kick-start something.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Been pondering the same today.  Really rate Weimann, and in an ideal world (imho) we would be playing Weimann, and to his strengths.  But.....

......we seem to be having a crises of identity, and Fam has 5 goals from 7 starts (7 subs) from 814 minutes (equivalent of 9 games)...and I’d be hypocritical to ignore stats like these.

Should we be turning this round and suggestion a partner for Fam.

Watkins - two more physical forwards.  Will run and run too, compensation a bit for Fam

Rodri - the big man little man combo.

Semenyo - brute force - think Preston away last season.

I guess if you are gonna go one of these, then you’ve got to go Eliasson, and that means some 442 variant....and Eliasson on the left please.

Could we play a front six of:

Brownhill | Massengo | Nagy | Eliasson

Diedhiou | Watkins

It’s all about the result Saturday.  In fact it’s not, we also need a performance to give the crowd something to cling to, and in return give the players confidence.

I think Smith did Ok last night, but he isn’t up to speed (you could see he wasn’t sharp up top last night) and we need to go careful with him, and 90 last night was a big ask.

You could play Weimann on RW, but perhaps a game out of the firing line, might be timely.

I feel like I’ve thrown all my Footie philosophies in the bin with this, but sometimes you need to take action to kick-start something.

That's a thought provoking post Davefevs. I too was wondering about Watkins up top with a partner, maybe Rodri who badly needs a goal. We  usually have all the answers on this forum for LJ but this time it looks like we all have different ideas. Might have to leave it to Lee this time to get  it right.

10 minutes ago, marmite said:

That's a thought provoking post Davefevs. I too was wondering about Watkins up top with a partner, maybe Rodri who badly needs a goal. We  usually have all the answers on this forum for LJ but this time it looks like we all have different ideas. Might have to leave it to Lee this time to get  it right.

I think beyond winning every game, our fans want goalmouth action.  I genuinely don’t think they’d mind if we play a tad more direct, got crosses in, and created penalty area “events” (new buzzword).

I’ve been pretty happy with how we’ve played this season, but I can see evidence that we’ve been sussed out, and I’m not normally one to over-react, but I wouldn’t blame LJ for ripping up the playbook and throwing caution to the wind, he’s got little to lose imho.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think beyond winning every game, our fans want goalmouth action.  I genuinely don’t think they’d mind if we play a tad more direct, got crosses in, and created penalty area “events” (new buzzword).

I’ve been pretty happy with how we’ve played this season, but I can see evidence that we’ve been sussed out, and I’m not normally one to over-react, but I wouldn’t blame LJ for ripping up the playbook and throwing caution to the wind, he’s got little to lose imho.

Little left a while back.

58 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

18 starts- 6 goals, 2 assists, none of them IIRC penalties.

Pretty good tbh, when the all-round package factored in- question whether we even have been playing to his strengths of late either. Certainly wouldn't be dropping him just yet...

I do appreciate this, but he only has 2 home goals this season which leads me to think he is more suited to our style away from home. 

I am a fan of weimann but fed up of the lacklustre football I've witnessed at home this season in general and as others have said Fams goals per minute ratio has been pretty decent this season. We seem to have tried all combinations of midfield and attackers behind him but I'm just not entertained. 

Not sure if dropping weimann and playing a different style of football would enable more goals throughout the rest of the team but it seems playing weimann is halting the opportunities we give eliasson as johnson doesn't seem to have a formation where both fit into the team.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Pretty happy with the way we've played this season, take it you mostly go away then.

2 hours ago, marmite said:

Watkins and Rodri?! The deadly non-scoring duo up top!

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nope, home only.

Dave, I've been in and out of here fir a couple of years and I usually see where you're coming from....but, I can't believe anybody is happy with how we've played at home for the past 16 months, it's been awful, although results haven't always been so bad actual performances have been in this time nothing more than shocking,  45 minutes aside (1st half v Reading) this season I have not walked out of Ashton Gate thinking how great that was, our team has had no identity for a season and a half other than to turn back, slow the play down and keep the ball.... I've not missed a home game for over a decade and don't miss many away, our play has never in this time been more boring.

8 minutes ago, Lee0 said:

Dave, I've been in and out of here fir a couple of years and I usually see where you're coming from....but, I can't believe anybody is happy with how we've played at home for the past 16 months, it's been awful, although results haven't always been so bad actual performances have been in this time nothing more than shocking,  45 minutes aside (1st half v Reading) this season I have not walked out of Ashton Gate thinking how great that was, our team has had no identity for a season and a half other than to turn back, slow the play down and keep the ball.... I've not missed a home game for over a decade and don't miss many away, our play has never in this time been more boring.

I didn’t say great, I said I was happy.  But I can take pleasure out of a tactical 0-0, so we all have different levels of expectation.  

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I didn’t say great, I said I was happy.  But I can take pleasure out of a tactical 0-0, so we all have different levels of expectation.  

I'm also ok with a decent nil nil.

My problem is the lack of games where we are decent !

As you say, different levels of expectation. I don't think my expectation of seeing our team attack with pace and skill, win ,lose or draw is unrealistic.

Andi Weimann always puts in a shift and does the running of 2 players.  He does probably need a bit of a rest, so it would be interesting to see how we got on without him for a couple of games perhaps.

It would involve changing tactics a bit, but maybe that is what we need to try at this stage of the season.  There is not a lot else we can do before the January window.

7 minutes ago, Lee0 said:

I'm also ok with a decent nil nil.

My problem is the lack of games where we are decent !

As you say, different levels of expectation. I don't think my expectation of seeing our team attack with pace and skill, win ,lose or draw is unrealistic.

Hey, you’re probably right...perhaps some of it is because we are in a decent position, with so many injuries it’s lowered my levels.

I do expect a reaction on Saturday, last night we were outfought.

10 hours ago, marcofisher said:

The guy was absolutely class alongside a striker with Palmer behind him. We either play two wingers outside him with palmer in behind or try to persevere with either Semenyo or Fam beside him.

I personally would play a back 4, Nagy in front of the defence with Massengo alongside him, Brownhill as an attacking midfielder with two wide players possibly Eliasson and Semenyo.

i think it’s time to try something different to give us a threat going forward 

At the current rate of our set ups and performances I think Weimann might be one who drops dead, especially with the congested Christmas period.

Using him as an impact sub where he can come on for 30/20 minutes and stretch the game and run at tired defenders would be perfect for him. 

Overall I wouldn’t drop him as he is a threat for us and one of the more intelligent forwards we have for his runs creating space. 

Agree I'd drop him for now. Play Fam up top on his own. Eliasson and O'Dowda wings maybe. Semenyo can even come in on the wing where he had looked so dangerous in the past. 

Need to get a 3 man midfield that has easier passing options forward. One is Fam, the others on the wings should usually be in space.

16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Agree I'd drop him for now. Play Fam up top on his own. Eliasson and O'Dowda wings maybe. Semenyo can even come in on the wing where he had looked so dangerous in the past. 

Need to get a 3 man midfield that has easier passing options forward. One is Fam, the others on the wings should usually be in space.

Reckon O’Dowda won’t get over his dead leg for tomorrow.

Archived