IGNORED

Drop Weimann

Berkshire Red

5 hours ago, marcofisher said:

When Weimann first signed i thought we were going to see him in that Reid no.10 role just behind the striker where he could harry and press? How many times have we actually seen this?

He isn't really that number 10 type imo.

20 hours ago, City18 said:

Now this is unlikely to be a popular opinion, but could it be that he doesn't fit into the style of football we play at home. The guys absolute class and doesn't stop running all game, but it seems our home tactic resolves largely around slow possession football as opposed to fast football in the break. 

Would it be worth a trying a 4-3-3 with odowda and eliasson either side of fam? It seems we always resort to long ball football after 60 mins and often grab a late equaliser so why not start out that way? 

I like weimann and dropping our leading goalscorer seems mad, but he doesn't seem so effective at home and we have got a large chunk of our goals at home from this long ball style. Would also give eliasson his run in the team

Good question. For me, no. On his day he's just too valuable. The issue is more about sticking someone with and alongside him that can help bring out the best in him. 100% it's not Palmer, Famara possibly. Why not try Szmodics? He must be chomping at the bit 

34 minutes ago, Brooko said:

Good question. For me, no. On his day he's just too valuable. The issue is more about sticking someone with and alongside him that can help bring out the best in him. 100% it's not Palmer, Famara possibly. Why not try Szmodics? He must be chomping at the bit 

I've got this sneaking suspicion that we might see this guy again on Saturday. And do you know what, I'd be all for giving the bloke a chance. And I mean a chance, and not saying he is crap and not up to it after 20 minutes like some feel the need to do.

16 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Andi Weimann always puts in a shift and does the running of 2 players.  He does probably need a bit of a rest, so it would be interesting to see how we got on without him for a couple of games perhaps.

It would involve changing tactics a bit, but maybe that is what we need to try at this stage of the season.  There is not a lot else we can do before the January window.

Therein lies one of our problems.

Weimann (or anyone else for that matter) shouldn''t have to do the running of two players.

Weimann, Johnson or the captain should holler at the others to get of their lazy arses and help Weimann out more.

52 minutes ago, Brooko said:

I think the problem we saw in a previous game with Szmodics and Weimann as a partnership is that they are so lightweight. Nothing stuck at all. Maybe it would be helped with a more creative player in behind like Palmer. But Swansea really had no problems with them as a partnership in that game.

I think Weimann is an overrated player. Not that I don't rate him, I think he is good. But there is many things he isn't particualry good at for a striker.

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Don't score enough so lets drop our top scorer and player that covers the most ground & chases down defenders for 90 minutes every game, great idea

Not such a bad idea imo it's hardly like Weimann is playing brilliantly every game. Him and Fam do not work well together. On Weimann being top scorer, well he's played nearly every minute of every game up front so he's bound to be our top scorer when no one else has played anywhere near as many minutes up top.

But Diedhiou has a far better goalscoring rate. A brilliant goal every 162 minutes. Better than one in two. Weimann a goal every 265, about a goal every 3 games.

Famara will always score more than Weimann imo, unless maybe a perfect partner for Weimann is found, which we don't really have at the moment.

The problem we have is so far it looks like Weimann links up best with Watkins out of our fit strikers. Weimann doesn't seem to be able to do the lone role, he's not good enough to play up there with a creative player in behind. So for me it is either play Weimann and Watkins, or don't pick Weimann through the middle and go with Fam. 

I really do not get fans often saying play Fam and Weimann together, their link up play is awful.

It would not surprise me to see Weimann end up on the right wing again like last season, until January at least. And if so then there's a definite argument as to whether he should be in the side when we have more skilful players to play out there. Weimann so often would get it and pass back to Hunt when on the right wing as he has no tricks to cause the full back problems.

He is a good player imo. But certainly droppable.

6 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

For Semenyo imo

I think we could fit Semenyo and Eliasson on the wings if we had Fam up top. Both cutting inside on their favoured foot and getting shots at goal. Semenyo was outstanding on the left wing for Newport against Leicester and Middlesbrough. And we know how tricky Eliasson is on the right. 

We need Eliasson to get more shots at goal. Having him high and wide in a front 3 will allow that much more than playing him wide in a midfield 4.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think we could fit Semenyo and Eliasson on the wings if we had Fam up top. Both cutting inside on their favoured foot and getting shots at goal. Semenyo was outstanding on the left wing for Newport against Leicester and Middlesbrough. And we know how tricky Eliasson is on the right. 

We need Eliasson to get more shots at goal. Having him high and wide in a front 3 will allow that much more than playing him wide in a midfield 4.

I do agree. I'd like to see Semenyo LW in a 433. Thing is I keep wanting to drop Weimann but he does pop up with goals like Fam.

Semenyo is still yet to score annoyingly.

We need to find a collection of three players, two up-front, one behind who play as a unit, have complementary skills and can almost mind-read each other. These three fed by 2 wingers or 2 midfielders. 

Simple game. It really is.

I have no idea from the attacking players we have in the squad whether such a combination can be constructed or whether Andi could be part of that five. 

Alarming. Very alarming. 

6 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think Weimann is an overrated player.

Wow really! By who? Quite a lot on here cannot for the life of them see what he goes bring to the side and what a very intelligent player he is. You say he shouldn’t get played as a front 2 with Fam but I totally disagree, when they do play as a pair that’s when you see the best of AW and he’ll get goals with Fam being the perfect foil for him, then strangely LJ changes the lineup/formation and low and behold Weimann is back out on the wing again.

On 28/11/2019 at 19:02, where's the joy said:

i think this a great idea.

the ball never sticks with him whether you pass long or short.

where's Glynn Riley when you need a man to hold the ball up?

sadly none of our other strikers seem good at playing with their back to goal. bring back Milan?

Think hes showing tiredness lately he needs a rest but dont think odowda deserves a shirt at moment.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

First name on the team sheet - no one matches his work rate, desire, guile and football intelligence...

He’s one of the first names on the teamsheet for me too, but tomorrow I might sacrifice that for a result and a performance.  There is no logic to my statement, just think we might need to do something different.  That “different” might be playing him RW in a 433, which is not my favoured position for him.

5 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Laughable comment - come on JD, many people criticise both Weimann and Baker but between them they’ve played well over 200 games in the premier league - these oft maligned blokes are not our weakest links - they are solid, proven pros ...

They played prem football. Well that's great. Not sure what relevance that has to how well they are playing for us now. 

5 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Wow really! By who? Quite a lot on here cannot for the life of them see what he goes bring to the side and what a very intelligent player he is. You say he shouldn’t get played as a front 2 with Fam but I totally disagree, when they do play as a pair that’s when you see the best of AW and he’ll get goals with Fam being the perfect foil for him, then strangely LJ changes the lineup/formation and low and behold Weimann is back out on the wing again.

Overrated by people that say he is our best player. So clearly not our best player. We have numerous players that I'm sure prem clubs would like, or top championship sides would like. Weimann I doubt is one of them as Derby were happy to sell for peanuts. 

He is a good player. I don't think those that do think he's overrated do not rate him at all. We can all see a hard working player with a bit of pace.

I'd say he's intelligent in his movement. But I don't see such intelligence with the ball at his feet. He often lacks the composure. He's quite erratic at times in his shooting and final pass.

On 28/11/2019 at 19:05, cidercity1987 said:

I like the guy but he's an average Championship striker who is almost guaranteed 90 minutes. One of the reasons we are an average Championship team.

On 20k a week - just goes to show why it’s so difficult to compete 

45 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

Offensively I can see why the op wants him dropped and I also want to see a 4-3-3 with 3 from fam Callum Palmer and Ellison  but he won’t do it as you need to defend from the front and a big part of Weimans game is closing down the back 4 and Weimann doesn’t suit 4-3-3 

That's right. How can we fit Eliasson into the side? For me it's in a 4-3-3/4-1-4-1 or in a 4-2-3-1.

I'm not sure how Weimann fits into either system unless he is on the wing, as he doesn't look capable of doing the lone role.

So then it becomes a question of how good a winger is Weimann. Do we have better? Well Eliasson is better. Arguably as a winger others are too.

Archived