Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

City18

Drop Weimann

Recommended Posts

Now this is unlikely to be a popular opinion, but could it be that he doesn't fit into the style of football we play at home. The guys absolute class and doesn't stop running all game, but it seems our home tactic resolves largely around slow possession football as opposed to fast football in the break. 

Would it be worth a trying a 4-3-3 with odowda and eliasson either side of fam? It seems we always resort to long ball football after 60 mins and often grab a late equaliser so why not start out that way? 

I like weimann and dropping our leading goalscorer seems mad, but he doesn't seem so effective at home and we have got a large chunk of our goals at home from this long ball style. Would also give eliasson his run in the team

  • Like 3
  • Unicorn 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think this a great idea.

the ball never sticks with him whether you pass long or short.

where's Glynn Riley when you need a man to hold the ball up?

sadly none of our other strikers seem good at playing with their back to goal. bring back Milan?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 starts- 6 goals, 2 assists, none of them IIRC penalties.

Pretty good tbh, when the all-round package factored in- question whether we even have been playing to his strengths of late either. Certainly wouldn't be dropping him just yet...

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah we have so many players in the side that are scoring goals so lets drop our leading marksman. Why not keep him in and play a style that suits him instead. Trouble is, we have no game plan or style of play whatsoever.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I daresay that Wiemann is the first name on LJ team sheet. The reason he’d miss a game is thru injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s decent enough - certainly not been the problem for us.

I think he has look a bit burnt out though as he plays every game due to the Afobe injury and Fammy out a fair bit too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, City18 said:

Now this is unlikely to be a popular opinion, but could it be that he doesn't fit into the style of football we play at home. The guys absolute class and doesn't stop running all game, but it seems our home tactic resolves largely around slow possession football as opposed to fast football in the break. 

Would it be worth a trying a 4-3-3 with odowda and eliasson either side of fam? It seems we always resort to long ball football after 60 mins and often grab a late equaliser so why not start out that way? 

I like weimann and dropping our leading goalscorer seems mad, but he doesn't seem so effective at home and we have got a large chunk of our goals at home from this long ball style. Would also give eliasson his run in the team

 

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

18 starts- 6 goals, 2 assists, none of them IIRC penalties.

Pretty good tbh, when the all-round package factored in- question whether we even have been playing to his strengths of late either. Certainly wouldn't be dropping him just yet...

Been pondering the same today.  Really rate Weimann, and in an ideal world (imho) we would be playing Weimann, and to his strengths.  But.....

......we seem to be having a crises of identity, and Fam has 5 goals from 7 starts (7 subs) from 814 minutes (equivalent of 9 games)...and I’d be hypocritical to ignore stats like these.

Should we be turning this round and suggestion a partner for Fam.

Watkins - two more physical forwards.  Will run and run too, compensation a bit for Fam

Rodri - the big man little man combo.

Semenyo - brute force - think Preston away last season.

I guess if you are gonna go one of these, then you’ve got to go Eliasson, and that means some 442 variant....and Eliasson on the left please.

Could we play a front six of:

Brownhill | Massengo | Nagy | Eliasson

                      Diedhiou | Watkins
 

It’s all about the result Saturday.  In fact it’s not, we also need a performance to give the crowd something to cling to, and in return give the players confidence.

I think Smith did Ok last night, but he isn’t up to speed (you could see he wasn’t sharp up top last night) and we need to go careful with him, and 90 last night was a big ask.

You could play Weimann on RW, but perhaps a game out of the firing line, might be timely.

I feel like I’ve thrown all my Footie philosophies in the bin with this, but sometimes you need to take action to kick-start something.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

 

Been pondering the same today.  Really rate Weimann, and in an ideal world (imho) we would be playing Weimann, and to his strengths.  But.....

......we seem to be having a crises of identity, and Fam has 5 goals from 7 starts (7 subs) from 814 minutes (equivalent of 9 games)...and I’d be hypocritical to ignore stats like these.

Should we be turning this round and suggestion a partner for Fam.

Watkins - two more physical forwards.  Will run and run too, compensation a bit for Fam

Rodri - the big man little man combo.

Semenyo - brute force - think Preston away last season.

I guess if you are gonna go one of these, then you’ve got to go Eliasson, and that means some 442 variant....and Eliasson on the left please.

Could we play a front six of:

Brownhill | Massengo | Nagy | Eliasson

                      Diedhiou | Watkins
 

It’s all about the result Saturday.  In fact it’s not, we also need a performance to give the crowd something to cling to, and in return give the players confidence.

I think Smith did Ok last night, but he isn’t up to speed (you could see he wasn’t sharp up top last night) and we need to go careful with him, and 90 last night was a big ask.

You could play Weimann on RW, but perhaps a game out of the firing line, might be timely.

I feel like I’ve thrown all my Footie philosophies in the bin with this, but sometimes you need to take action to kick-start something.

That's a thought provoking post Davefevs. I too was wondering about Watkins up top with a partner, maybe Rodri who badly needs a goal. We  usually have all the answers on this forum for LJ but this time it looks like we all have different ideas. Might have to leave it to Lee this time to get  it right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, marmite said:

That's a thought provoking post Davefevs. I too was wondering about Watkins up top with a partner, maybe Rodri who badly needs a goal. We  usually have all the answers on this forum for LJ but this time it looks like we all have different ideas. Might have to leave it to Lee this time to get  it right.

I think beyond winning every game, our fans want goalmouth action.  I genuinely don’t think they’d mind if we play a tad more direct, got crosses in, and created penalty area “events” (new buzzword).

I’ve been pretty happy with how we’ve played this season, but I can see evidence that we’ve been sussed out, and I’m not normally one to over-react, but I wouldn’t blame LJ for ripping up the playbook and throwing caution to the wind, he’s got little to lose imho.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think beyond winning every game, our fans want goalmouth action.  I genuinely don’t think they’d mind if we play a tad more direct, got crosses in, and created penalty area “events” (new buzzword).

I’ve been pretty happy with how we’ve played this season, but I can see evidence that we’ve been sussed out, and I’m not normally one to over-react, but I wouldn’t blame LJ for ripping up the playbook and throwing caution to the wind, he’s got little to lose imho.

Little left a while back.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

18 starts- 6 goals, 2 assists, none of them IIRC penalties.

Pretty good tbh, when the all-round package factored in- question whether we even have been playing to his strengths of late either. Certainly wouldn't be dropping him just yet...

I do appreciate this, but he only has 2 home goals this season which leads me to think he is more suited to our style away from home. 

I am a fan of weimann but fed up of the lacklustre football I've witnessed at home this season in general and as others have said Fams goals per minute ratio has been pretty decent this season. We seem to have tried all combinations of midfield and attackers behind him but I'm just not entertained. 

Not sure if dropping weimann and playing a different style of football would enable more goals throughout the rest of the team but it seems playing weimann is halting the opportunities we give eliasson as johnson doesn't seem to have a formation where both fit into the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think beyond winning every game, our fans want goalmouth action.  I genuinely don’t think they’d mind if we play a tad more direct, got crosses in, and created penalty area “events” (new buzzword).

I’ve been pretty happy with how we’ve played this season, but I can see evidence that we’ve been sussed out, and I’m not normally one to over-react, but I wouldn’t blame LJ for ripping up the playbook and throwing caution to the wind, he’s got little to lose imho.

Pretty happy with the way we've played this season, take it you mostly go away then.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The guy was absolutely class alongside a striker with Palmer behind him. We either play two wingers outside him with palmer in behind or try to persevere with either Semenyo or Fam beside him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, marmite said:

That's a thought provoking post Davefevs. I too was wondering about Watkins up top with a partner, maybe Rodri who badly needs a goal. We  usually have all the answers on this forum for LJ but this time it looks like we all have different ideas. Might have to leave it to Lee this time to get  it right.

Watkins and Rodri?! The deadly non-scoring duo up top!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nope, home only.

Dave, I've been in and out of here fir a couple of years and I usually see where you're coming from....but, I can't believe anybody is happy with how we've played at home for the past 16 months, it's been awful, although results haven't always been so bad actual performances have been in this time nothing more than shocking,  45 minutes aside (1st half v Reading) this season I have not walked out of Ashton Gate thinking how great that was, our team has had no identity for a season and a half other than to turn back, slow the play down and keep the ball.... I've not missed a home game for over a decade and don't miss many away, our play has never in this time been more boring.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lee0 said:

Dave, I've been in and out of here fir a couple of years and I usually see where you're coming from....but, I can't believe anybody is happy with how we've played at home for the past 16 months, it's been awful, although results haven't always been so bad actual performances have been in this time nothing more than shocking,  45 minutes aside (1st half v Reading) this season I have not walked out of Ashton Gate thinking how great that was, our team has had no identity for a season and a half other than to turn back, slow the play down and keep the ball.... I've not missed a home game for over a decade and don't miss many away, our play has never in this time been more boring.

 

I didn’t say great, I said I was happy.  But I can take pleasure out of a tactical 0-0, so we all have different levels of expectation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I didn’t say great, I said I was happy.  But I can take pleasure out of a tactical 0-0, so we all have different levels of expectation.  

I'm also ok with a decent nil nil.

My problem is the lack of games where we are decent !

As you say, different levels of expectation. I don't think my expectation of seeing our team attack with pace and skill, win ,lose or draw is unrealistic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Andi Weimann always puts in a shift and does the running of 2 players.  He does probably need a bit of a rest, so it would be interesting to see how we got on without him for a couple of games perhaps.

It would involve changing tactics a bit, but maybe that is what we need to try at this stage of the season.  There is not a lot else we can do before the January window.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lee0 said:

I'm also ok with a decent nil nil.

My problem is the lack of games where we are decent !

As you say, different levels of expectation. I don't think my expectation of seeing our team attack with pace and skill, win ,lose or draw is unrealistic.

Hey, you’re probably right...perhaps some of it is because we are in a decent position, with so many injuries it’s lowered my levels.

I do expect a reaction on Saturday, last night we were outfought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, marcofisher said:

The guy was absolutely class alongside a striker with Palmer behind him. We either play two wingers outside him with palmer in behind or try to persevere with either Semenyo or Fam beside him.

I personally would play a back 4, Nagy in front of the defence with Massengo alongside him, Brownhill as an attacking midfielder with two wide players possibly Eliasson and Semenyo.

i think it’s time to try something different to give us a threat going forward 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the current rate of our set ups and performances I think Weimann might be one who drops dead, especially with the congested Christmas period.

Using him as an impact sub where he can come on for 30/20 minutes and stretch the game and run at tired defenders would be perfect for him. 

Overall I wouldn’t drop him as he is a threat for us and one of the more intelligent forwards we have for his runs creating space. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weimann needs to be left out as he's off form.  Miss a couple of games, freshen up and come back in. 

Trouble is we are very short of options so he'll continue to play.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Weimann first signed i thought we were going to see him in that Reid no.10 role just behind the striker where he could harry and press? How many times have we actually seen this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree I'd drop him for now. Play Fam up top on his own. Eliasson and O'Dowda wings maybe. Semenyo can even come in on the wing where he had looked so dangerous in the past. 

Need to get a 3 man midfield that has easier passing options forward. One is Fam, the others on the wings should usually be in space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Agree I'd drop him for now. Play Fam up top on his own. Eliasson and O'Dowda wings maybe. Semenyo can even come in on the wing where he had looked so dangerous in the past. 

Need to get a 3 man midfield that has easier passing options forward. One is Fam, the others on the wings should usually be in space.

Reckon O’Dowda won’t get over his dead leg for tomorrow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, marcofisher said:

When Weimann first signed i thought we were going to see him in that Reid no.10 role just behind the striker where he could harry and press? How many times have we actually seen this?

He isn't really that number 10 type imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, City18 said:

Now this is unlikely to be a popular opinion, but could it be that he doesn't fit into the style of football we play at home. The guys absolute class and doesn't stop running all game, but it seems our home tactic resolves largely around slow possession football as opposed to fast football in the break. 

Would it be worth a trying a 4-3-3 with odowda and eliasson either side of fam? It seems we always resort to long ball football after 60 mins and often grab a late equaliser so why not start out that way? 

I like weimann and dropping our leading goalscorer seems mad, but he doesn't seem so effective at home and we have got a large chunk of our goals at home from this long ball style. Would also give eliasson his run in the team

Good question. For me, no. On his day he's just too valuable. The issue is more about sticking someone with and alongside him that can help bring out the best in him. 100% it's not Palmer, Famara possibly. Why not try Szmodics? He must be chomping at the bit 
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Brooko said:

Good question. For me, no. On his day he's just too valuable. The issue is more about sticking someone with and alongside him that can help bring out the best in him. 100% it's not Palmer, Famara possibly. Why not try Szmodics? He must be chomping at the bit 
 

I've got this sneaking suspicion that we might see this guy again on Saturday. And do you know what, I'd be all for giving the bloke a chance. And I mean a chance, and not saying he is crap and not up to it after 20 minutes like some feel the need to do.

Edited by AppyDAZE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Andi Weimann always puts in a shift and does the running of 2 players.  He does probably need a bit of a rest, so it would be interesting to see how we got on without him for a couple of games perhaps.

It would involve changing tactics a bit, but maybe that is what we need to try at this stage of the season.  There is not a lot else we can do before the January window.

 

Therein lies one of our problems.

Weimann (or anyone else for that matter) shouldn''t have to do the running of two players.

Weimann, Johnson or the captain should holler at the others to get of their lazy arses and help Weimann out more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Brooko said:

Good question. For me, no. On his day he's just too valuable. The issue is more about sticking someone with and alongside him that can help bring out the best in him. 100% it's not Palmer, Famara possibly. Why not try Szmodics? He must be chomping at the bit 
 

I think the problem we saw in a previous game with Szmodics and Weimann as a partnership is that they are so lightweight. Nothing stuck at all. Maybe it would be helped with a more creative player in behind like Palmer. But Swansea really had no problems with them as a partnership in that game.

I think Weimann is an overrated player. Not that I don't rate him, I think he is good. But there is many things he isn't particualry good at for a striker.

 

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Don't score enough so lets drop our top scorer and player that covers the most ground & chases down defenders for 90 minutes every game, great idea

Not such a bad idea imo it's hardly like Weimann is playing brilliantly every game. Him and Fam do not work well together. On Weimann being top scorer, well he's played nearly every minute of every game up front so he's bound to be our top scorer when no one else has played anywhere near as many minutes up top.

But Diedhiou has a far better goalscoring rate. A brilliant goal every 162 minutes. Better than one in two. Weimann a goal every 265, about a goal every 3 games.

Famara will always score more than Weimann imo, unless maybe a perfect partner for Weimann is found, which we don't really have at the moment.

The problem we have is so far it looks like Weimann links up best with Watkins out of our fit strikers. Weimann doesn't seem to be able to do the lone role, he's not good enough to play up there with a creative player in behind. So for me it is either play Weimann and Watkins, or don't pick Weimann through the middle and go with Fam. 

I really do not get fans often saying play Fam and Weimann together, their link up play is awful.

It would not surprise me to see Weimann end up on the right wing again like last season, until January at least. And if so then there's a definite argument as to whether he should be in the side when we have more skilful players to play out there. Weimann so often would get it and pass back to Hunt when on the right wing as he has no tricks to cause the full back problems.

He is a good player imo. But certainly droppable.

Edited by JonDolman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

For Semenyo imo

I think we could fit Semenyo and Eliasson on the wings if we had Fam up top. Both cutting inside on their favoured foot and getting shots at goal. Semenyo was outstanding on the left wing for Newport against Leicester and Middlesbrough. And we know how tricky Eliasson is on the right. 

We need Eliasson to get more shots at goal. Having him high and wide in a front 3 will allow that much more than playing him wide in a midfield 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think we could fit Semenyo and Eliasson on the wings if we had Fam up top. Both cutting inside on their favoured foot and getting shots at goal. Semenyo was outstanding on the left wing for Newport against Leicester and Middlesbrough. And we know how tricky Eliasson is on the right. 

We need Eliasson to get more shots at goal. Having him high and wide in a front 3 will allow that much more than playing him wide in a midfield 4.

I do agree. I'd like to see Semenyo LW in a 433. Thing is I keep wanting to drop Weimann but he does pop up with goals like Fam.

Semenyo is still yet to score annoyingly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I do agree. I'd like to see Semenyo LW in a 433. Thing is I keep wanting to drop Weimann but he does pop up with goals like Fam.

Semenyo is still yet to score annoyingly.

He's still yet to put in a performance. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need to find a collection of three players, two up-front, one behind who play as a unit, have complementary skills and can almost mind-read each other. These three fed by 2 wingers or 2 midfielders. 

Simple game. It really is.

 

I have no idea from the attacking players we have in the squad whether such a combination can be constructed or whether Andi could be part of that five. 

Alarming. Very alarming. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think Weimann is an overrated player.

Wow really! By who? Quite a lot on here cannot for the life of them see what he goes bring to the side and what a very intelligent player he is. You say he shouldn’t get played as a front 2 with Fam but I totally disagree, when they do play as a pair that’s when you see the best of AW and he’ll get goals with Fam being the perfect foil for him, then strangely LJ changes the lineup/formation and low and behold Weimann is back out on the wing again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’m not Lee and your post was not amusing at all ...

:laugh: Well none of yours are either so maybe we have more in common than you think, BS

Edited by AppyDAZE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think Weimann is an overrated player....

Laughable comment - come on JD, many people criticise both Weimann and Baker but between them they’ve played well over 200 games in the premier league - these oft maligned blokes are not our weakest links - they are solid, proven pros ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...