Turkey
Denmark (hosts)
Austria
Sweden
Czech Republic

Pot 4
Wales
Finland
Winner play-off Path A (Iceland, Bulgaria, Hungary, Romania)
Winner play-off Path B (Bosnia and Herzegovina, Slovakia, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland)
Winner play-off Path C (Scotland, Norway, Serbia, Israel)
Winner play-off Path D (Georgia, North Macedonia, Kosovo, Belarus)

Group possibilities

Group A (Rome, Baku)

Italy
France/Poland/Switzerland/Croatia
Portugal/Turkey/Austria/Sweden/Czech Republic
Finland/Wales

Group B (Saint Petersburg, Copenhagen)

Belgium
Russia
Denmark
Finland/Wales

Group C (Amsterdam, Bucharest)

Ukraine
Netherlands
Winner play-off path A or D*

Group D (London, Glasgow)

England
Winner play-off path C 

Group E (Bilbao, Dublin)

Spain
Winner play-off path B

Group F (Munich, Budapest)

Germany
Winner play-off path A or D*

* The Path for the team from Pot 4 will be determined as follows:

• If Iceland, Bulgaria or Hungary win Path A then they go in Group F; the winner of Path D complete Group C.
  • If Romania win Path A then they go in Group C; the winner of Path D complete Group F.

Perhaps one day we’ll get back to the ridiculous version of “put all the teams into a bag and draw them out”. 
All this seeding, this team can’t play that team, this pathway heads here etc is for the birds. 
I’m usually a very sane guy, but these draws drive me nuts nowadays. 

1 minute ago, Super said:

How are the pots sorted? Strange that the World Champions are in pot 2. I guess worst case for us is France Portugal and probably Wales?

They’ve been seeded purely on the qualifying results in this competition. So the fact France won the World Cup and are ranked number 2 in the world, their qualifying record wasn’t as good as the 6 pot 1 teams. 
The 6 pot 1 teams are FIFA ranked 1,4,8,13,15,24. 

57 minutes ago, Harry said:

They’ve been seeded purely on the qualifying results in this competition. So the fact France won the World Cup and are ranked number 2 in the world, their qualifying record wasn’t as good as the 6 pot 1 teams. 
The 6 pot 1 teams are FIFA ranked 1,4,8,13,15,24. 

Weirdly it actually works out kind of well - kind of neutralises the effect of seeding. 

I've a ticket to Italy v tbc in Rome on the 17th. Looking like Group A could be decent. Potentially could see Kalas or Morrell play if the draw works out.

we're lucky enough to have tickets to all the group matches in Rome - so I'll look out for you @ExiledAjax ! France, Czech Republic and Wales would be three decent matches in Group A.

Can't make it to the Gate tomorrow and will be watching the draw on TV with interest...but also a degree of perplexity...feels like the play-off matches leave a lot still to be decided.

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Perhaps one day we’ll get back to the ridiculous version of “put all the teams into a bag and draw them out”. 
All this seeding, this team can’t play that team, this pathway heads here etc is for the birds. 

Surely, it would be easier and less complicated for UEFA to just state which two countries they want in the final and simply admit they're fixing the draw to make it happen.

Also why don't they just rename it the Euro Bribery & Corruption Championship?

16 hours ago, Harry said:

Even by FIFA standards of special pot number 2 or Jedi like yellow ball number 9 to determine if team C must not be allowed to play games against the qualifiers from Group F, it is insane to me that two weeks ago there was a result to the Ireland Denmark game which would have effectively drawn a complete group. In other words what should be the product of 4 random draws was already made predictable by the various rules and adjustments. Think I’m right in saying Belgium already know their group and most of their opponents just by process of elimination. Wonder if FIFA have asked them to look surprised at the draw.

27 minutes ago, Olé said:

Even by FIFA standards of special pot number 2 or Jedi like yellow ball number 9 to determine if team C must not be allowed to play games against the qualifiers from Group F, it is insane to me that two weeks ago there was a result to the Ireland Denmark game which would have effectively drawn a complete group. In other words what should be the product of 4 random draws was already made predictable by the various rules and adjustments. Think I’m right in saying Belgium already know their group and most of their opponents just by process of elimination. Wonder if FIFA have asked them to look surprised at the draw.

Surly this is a uefa draw not fifa ?

but yes as draws goes it’s bizarre 

23 hours ago, Harry said:

Until the break up of the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia and the acceptance of Andorra and the Faroe Islands etc, there were 32 nations in UEFA. This gave eight pools of four teams.

The eight winners of each pool were the quarter finalists and put in the hat to drawn out at random. The QFs were played H&A, 1972; England 1- W Germany 3, the following week Germany 0 - England 0.

A few weeks later one nation hosted the semis and final itself. No long tournament this, instead one semi on Tuesday night, the other on Wednesday with the final on the Sunday evening. I think the last time this happened was Yugoslavia in 1976.

Nowadays there are 55 nations in UEFA. Israel cannot play for political reasons against their neighbours. I'm convinced that Azerbaijan and should be playing the likes of Iran  etc, but they make more money out of losing to Italy than drawing against Pakistan.

Archived