IGNORED

Team for tomorrow

Will b11

7 minutes ago, Will b11 said:

What does everyone think the team should be , do we stick with 3-5-2 or do we go back to 4 at the back ? 

4-2-3-1

Bentley

Pereira Baker Williams Rowe

Nagy Massengo

Semenyo.  Brownhill   Eliasson

Didehiou

Get Brownhill as an attacking midfielder supporting Dodehiou, Eliasson playing wide and Semenyo big opportunity  

4-4-2

Bentley

Pedro  Williams  Baker (Kalas)  Rowe

Brownhill    Nagy     Smith      Elliason

Weinman    Fam.

If required can switch to:

Bentley

Pedro  Williams  Baker (Kalas)  Rowe

Brownhill    Nagy     Smith      

Weinman    Fam    Elliason 

15 minutes ago, Will b11 said:

What does everyone think the team should be , do we stick with 3-5-2 or do we go back to 4 at the back ? 

433 for me and stick to it long term. I think it best suits the players we have. I won’t put in kalas or Moore because they’re not fit but they would be my starting centre halves when available 

Bentley

pereria.         Williams.      Baker.        Rowe

Brownhill    Nagy.    Massengo

Wiemann.     Fam.     Eliasson 

if you can get Nic and andi playing close , supporting fam with midfield support from josh and Han it could well work. Easy to say I know but I’d rather try that than the abomination on Wednesday 

After Wednesday, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what team to pick on Saturday.  At the moment, I'm thinking aling the lines of:

Bentley

Wright  Williams  Baker

Periera                             O'Dowda

Nagy Massengo

Brownhill

Weimann               Diedhiou

That might change if Moore, Kalas or Hunt were fit. Might consider Rowe for O'Dowda too.

I don't understand why we don't play 433? A formation that seem to be favoured by a lot of the best teams in the world. We have the players for it too, I think?

Bentley

Hunt-Pereira/Moore-Williams/Kalas/Rowe

Nagy/Brownhill/Korey

Elliason/Fammy/Palmer-COD-Wiemann-Semenyo-Watkins-

5 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

I don't understand why we don't play 433? A formation that seem to be favoured by a lot of the best teams in the world. We have the players for it too, I think?

Bentley

Hunt-Pereira/Moore-Williams/Kalas/Rowe

Nagy/Brownhill/Korey

Elliason/Fammy/Palmer-COD-Wiemann-Semenyo-Watkins-

Can’t pick 18 players 

@steviestevieneville you know I’m not one who is over fussed by formations, and I think it is more about the players, e.g. we were no better second half 442 than we were 1st half with 5311 on Wednesday.

What injuries has done is restrict certain players from starting, e.g. Eliasson doesn’t for 532/5212, Palmer doesn’t fit 442, etc, and I guess a back 5 means only 5 midfield / forwards, etc.  The squad has looked a bit unbalanced.

I’m starting to see the light of a 433.  I think it gives us variation without imbalance and rotation too.

Injury doubts make tomorrow’s team selection tough, but something along the lines of (not saying this will be the team):

Bentley

Pereira | Moore | Williams | Rowe 

Brownhill | Nagy | Massengo

Watkins | Diedhiou | Eliasson

There could rightly be some chuckles that I’ve put Watkins in, but there is some thought behind it.  He does like to attack the back stick, and would give us a good option at the far post for Eliasson’s cross and is happy on either flank.

The defence really is interchangeable with Hunt, Kalas, Baker and Dasilva. (A first choice back 4 in its own right)

The midfield 3 is supplemented by Smith and O’Dowda.

The frontline by Palmer, Szmodics, Semenyo and Weimann, etc

All without having to change the system.  Players picked on merit, fatigue, not because of system.

21 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Bentley

Pereira Baker Williams Rowe

Nagy  Brownhill

O'Dowda  Palmer   Eliasson

Didehiou

I quite like that, but I would switch Eliasson with COD, Nagy with Brownhill and Baker & Williams should also be switched.

Ah, just realised, you seem to have mixed up your left with your right.

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@steviestevieneville you know I’m not one who is over fussed by formations, and I think it is more about the players, e.g. we were no better second half 442 than we were 1st half with 5311 on Wednesday.

What injuries has done is restrict certain players from starting, e.g. Eliasson doesn’t for 532/5212, Palmer doesn’t fit 442, etc, and I guess a back 5 means only 5 midfield / forwards, etc.  The squad has looked a bit unbalanced.

I’m starting to see the light of a 433.  I think it gives us variation without imbalance and rotation too.

Injury doubts make tomorrow’s team selection tough, but something along the lines of (not saying this will be the team):

Bentley

There could rightly be some chuckles that I’ve put Watkins in, but there is some thought behind it.  He does like to attack the back stick, and would give us a good option at the far post for Eliasson’s cross and is happy on either flank.

The defence really is interchangeable with Hunt, Kalas, Baker and Dasilva. (A first choice back 4 in its own right)

The midfield 3 is supplemented by Smith and O’Dowda.

The frontline by Palmer, Szmodics, Semenyo and Weimann, etc

All without having to change the system.  Players picked on merit, fatigue, not because of system.

Pretty much my team other than I might want to gamble on Semenyo on the wing. We've seen what he can do out there for Newport in the cup.

But yeah the sensible one is Watkins, who strangely no one jokes about anymore! 

25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm thinking 4-3-3 moving forward- mind you believed it should be 4-3-3 for a long time, seems LJ has a certain aversion to it though.

Wondered about whether an asymmetrical front 3 of Weimann, Palmer and Eliasson could be worth a go- yet overall, agree with @steviestevieneville .

Our incredible run last season was playing that system.

I still don't quite get why people think Diedhiou can't play up there on his own. For me he is a lone striker more than a strike partner, as he can't seem to link well with anyone. In this system he can do what he does, occupying defenders. Wingers attack the space. 

I think we can play this system even better than last season now we have Nagy instead of Pack, and Massengo instead of Paterson who played a bit deeper in the midfield 3 than his previous positions.

Despite the fairly unanimous consensus on here of ditching a back 3 to accommodate Eliasson as a winger, I wouldn’t be surprised if we persevered with it tomorrow. If it does lead to a clean sheet, very feasibly with 3 centre halves and Nagy screening, we only need to nick that one goal for 3 points and a happy week. 

19 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Despite the fairly unanimous consensus on here of ditching a back 3 to accommodate Eliasson as a winger, I wouldn’t be surprised if we persevered with it tomorrow. If it does lead to a clean sheet, very feasibly with 3 centre halves and Nagy screening, we only need to nick that one goal for 3 points and a happy week. 

Johnson has implied Elliason will start 

50 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm thinking 4-3-3 moving forward- mind you believed it should be 4-3-3 for a long time, seems LJ has a certain aversion to it though.

Wondered about whether an asymmetrical front 3 of Weimann, Palmer and Eliasson could be worth a go- yet overall, agree with @steviestevieneville .

Agree, I may of missed it but I can’t remember LJ playing 433 . Perhaps he thinks it’s too narrow , although I’m sure it doesn’t have to be . 

4 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Agree, I may of missed it but I can’t remember LJ playing 433 . Perhaps he thinks it’s too narrow , although I’m sure it doesn’t have to be . 

I remember a switch to it vs Stoke at home last season- 2nd half and we were very good, Butland and the woodwork denied us- but from the off? Not one that I recall really! Certainly never gave it a proper run.

Could say that in some ways we came close to it with that 4-4-1-1 when we had all the injuries 2 years ago- would be easy to switch to a form of 4-3-3 in-game with the type of players we had on the pitch.

22 minutes ago, mozo said:

Fk knows what we'll get!

Spot on............trying to predict a LJ starting 11 is way too difficult. It’s impossible to know.

Hopefully he’ll select a team that’s capable of playing on the front foot and with license to express themselves - can’t see it happening tho.......

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Bentley

I don't think this is a bad idea. While I was thinking about the 433 the other day, I did consider Watkins in front of Fam, but your way gets both in. More physical presence, and he does have an eye for a goal, at least he did before he did his Lord Lucan act. Weimann could probably do with a rest, he does work harder than any two other players, but it seemed aimless the other night.
Not heard any more about the swelling on TM's knee, nor Kalas come to that, so could be AW and Baker, but that's how I would line up.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I still don't quite get why people think Diedhiou can't play up there on his own. For me he is a lone striker more than a strike partner, as he can't seem to link well with anyone. In this system he can do what he does, occupying defenders. Wingers attack the space. 

I think we can play this system even better than last season now we have Nagy instead of Pack, and Massengo instead of Paterson who played a bit deeper in the midfield 3 than his previous positions.

Wouldn't really have classed it as 4-3-3 tbh- more of a 4-2-3-1, or 4-1-4-1.

By 4-3-3, I mean- last season any of the following combos- well basically any 3 of Brownhill, Pack, Smith, Morrell or Walsh.

Or this season, loans and changes etc any 3 of Brownhill, Nagy, Massengo or Smith. At a push, O'Dowda.

Not really for Palmer, or last season Paterson IMO- or possibly even O'Dowda.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Genuinely can’t remember us playing 433 last season but may well be wrong. 
I dont believe fam has the movement to play up top on his own, he doesn’t move defenders about enough,  but if we can get  players closer to play off him then 433 might work with wiemann and Eliasson energy . Worth a try 

Archived