IGNORED

rougly 20 years ago

Oh Louie louie

On 29/11/2019 at 20:44, shelts said:

David Howell would walk in our-side now . We had him at the end of his career and he was still head n shoulders above everyone else 

I thought he was great for us and I thought he was carrying a bit of an injury. Always seemed to have longer on the ball than the other players we had at that time.

30 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

So he was carrying a injury, 32 years old played 9 times in 2 years before joining us from southampton, and you think he was performing ok for us.

He would walk into our side? no chance.

Nobody wanted him after that, and as i say he couldnt leave bristol quick enough.

He retired the year after from pro football. Says it all really...

On 30/11/2019 at 00:06, Oh Louie louie said:

The squad we had in 1999 one of the worst in history.

In 2009 we were in a simalar postion to now.

In 1989, on the other hand, we were having one of our best seasons, with Mark Gavin bamboozling defences and Bob Taylor knocking them in.  What a team that was...

13 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

So he was carrying a injury, 32 years old played 9 times in 2 years before joining us from southampton, and you think he was performing ok for us.

He would walk into our side? no chance.

Nobody wanted him after that, and as i say he couldnt leave bristol quick enough.

He was on the wane for sure but still tidy enough for us . We must’ve finished him off !!

On 29/11/2019 at 16:52, Oh Louie louie said:

Bo anderson, julian watts, peter beadle, john burns, clements whatever his name was, david howells, carl hutchings, steve torpey, damien spencer.

We think we are doing bad now, i know i might be a year out with some, but remeber what we had.

Im sure ive forgot a few world beaters from that era.

David Howell was a decent player. Came on loan for about 5 games and looked a cut above what we had. Nothing to do with some of the rest of the names - Julian Watts and Hutchings in particular was shambolic.

On 29/11/2019 at 23:16, Oh Louie louie said:

David howells was crap for us cost us the birmingham game, then disapeared.

He really wasn't. He was obvious of Premier League quality.

What cost us that game was a horrible penalty decision given to them for nothing - Peter Ndlouv if I remember correctly.

On 30/11/2019 at 02:17, New Dazzler said:

Yes quite right, remember those well, but when he won a game he celebrated and threw his cap into the crowd.  The lesser spotted authenticated Benny "winning caps" fetch a premium price at Sotheby's these days, look out for Dickinson's Real Deal or the Antiques Road Show.....or maybe your local car boot sale?

I bet you of all people are capable of spotting a 'bobby Dazzler' when you see one! 

On 30/11/2019 at 20:36, Mr Popodopolous said:

Would that be the Birmingham home game? 

As I recall,  they got an incredibly fortunate by which I mean plain wrong (what's new) penalty! Akinbyi had a goal disallowed too, no real idea of that was a correct call or not,  the Akinbyi disallowed goal.

Despite the relegation, I absolutely loved that season - some blinding away days (the legendary visit to West Brom) and we very nearly made it a great escape. Remember a cracking 1-0 last minute win away at Pompey on the easter bank holiday and thinking it had come together at just the right moment. That Birmingham game took the wind right from our sales and the mini revival came crashing to a halt. I can't remember much of the Brum game other than the baking heat and the feeling that we had been utterly cheated! 

A great laugh following city though that year, and in fairness to Benny I can't help but feel he was the right man in the wrong era. 

Yes Adam locke header from a corner in the last minute at portsmouth that gave us a bit of hope.

The game that done my head in was the west brom game, silly amount of injury time last minute goal.

I recall a bad injury in that game, i think it was ivan?

We got a real lucky win at bury that season too, colin cramb went down way outside the box, and the ref gave a pen.

This pleased neil warnock no end.

On 29/11/2019 at 16:52, Oh Louie louie said:

Bo anderson, julian watts, peter beadle, john burns, clements whatever his name was, david howells, carl hutchings, steve torpey, damien spencer.

We think we are doing bad now, i know i might be a year out with some, but remeber what we had.

Im sure ive forgot a few world beaters from that era.

Some very fond memories of some of that squad! Why pick out a few poor players and ignore the likes of scotty Murray, Mickey bell, Louis Carey, Tommy Doherty, Aaron Brown, Tony Thorpe? 

Do you remember 2019/20 season when we got battered by West Brom 4-1? Rene Gilmartin, Hakeeb Adelakun, Marley Watkins, Antoine Semenyo, Rodri 

That West Brom late equaliser really hurt - we had played so well that day and deserved the win. 

After the win at Portsmouth I convinced myself we were going to stay up. Their fans were definitely sore losers that day - I remembering getting loads of verbal abuse after leaving the ground. 

37 minutes ago, City18 said:

Some very fond memories of some of that squad! Why pick out a few poor players and ignore the likes of scotty Murray, Mickey bell, Louis Carey, Tommy Doherty, Aaron Brown, Tony Thorpe? 

Do you remember 2019/20 season when we got battered by West Brom 4-1? Rene Gilmartin, Hakeeb Adelakun, Marley Watkins, Antoine Semenyo, Rodri 

Pains me to say it i got a lot of time for the players you mentioned city 18, take louis out that list those players didnt play 200 games between them at this level id wager?

What does that tell you?

They werent up to this level, only louis id say, when murray came back dont forget he was lucky to get a game most weeks.

10 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

If he was that good he wouldnt have joined the worst team in the top 2 divisions.

He would have had plenty of offers.

The only manager who took him was benny.

He was struggling with injuries that ended his career. Clearly was a cut above as everyone above agrees except you.

3 hours ago, Offside said:

That West Brom late equaliser really hurt - we had played so well that day and deserved the win. 

After the win at Portsmouth I convinced myself we were going to stay up. Their fans were definitely sore losers that day - I remembering getting loads of verbal abuse after leaving the ground. 

I seem to remember the fence at the back of the stand being torn down that day as well :D 

Just looking through the wikipedia entry for that season and forgot that we also played Everton in the cup that year. If I remember rightly that too was a feisty fixture! 

3 hours ago, City18 said:

And in total truth - and it sounds insane to say it given how he later became a laughing stock - Ade Akinbiyi was electric at times. Baffles me how his career derailed in such dramatic fashion. I would love to have him right now for us! 

That was the luckiest away win all season at our ground that everton game.

So you would say howells was head and shoulders above tinnion in that midfield?

The thing is no decent premiership player would join a division 1 club at the bottom of the table.

Didnt happen twenty years ago, doesnt happen now.

You are only going get kids or people nowhere near the first team.

11 hours ago, poland_exile said:

Despite the relegation, I absolutely loved that season - some blinding away days (the legendary visit to West Brom) and we very nearly made it a great escape. Remember a cracking 1-0 last minute win away at Pompey on the easter bank holiday and thinking it had come together at just the right moment. That Birmingham game took the wind right from our sales and the mini revival came crashing to a halt. I can't remember much of the Brum game other than the baking heat and the feeling that we had been utterly cheated! 

A great laugh following city though that year, and in fairness to Benny I can't help but feel he was the right man in the wrong era. 

The late revival was really good- was a disastrous start under Benny but atmosphere better then in some ways than now? Certainly better for proportion of fans to noise maybe, dunno.

We showed some real spirit in those latter stages, even though we weren't quite ultimately good enough.

The WBA game- kept playing or so it felt until they equalised. Don't forget the week before also, vs runaway leaders Sunderland- we were battered somewhat but held out- only to be denied at the last by a very late penalty! Scott Davidson came on the pitch or so I read, to remonstrate with officials. That's 2-3 points undeservedly lost right there.

Just before the late revival we played Bradford at home in late March- did Phillips make his debut in goal in that period? Seem to recall we were 2 down, but pulled it back only to lose 3-2...spirit again however vs a high riding side!

Then we beat Port Vale and it was like meh, the Adam Locke winner and then maybe, then 0-1 down to 4-1 up v Grimsby- it's back on! Got the late equaliser at Stockport too, helped to build momentum.

Wonder what would have happened had Mr. Dean not brought the dive by Ndlovu.

Clearly overall, academy, structure, infrastructure, fanbase etc we're in a much better place- but that season had some memories! I think it was the mascots fighting v Wolves that drew me back! ?

I also recall a very boring game vs surprise, surprise Colin's Bury on a freezing Tuesday night- sure there were chants of "Boring Boring Bury".

@City18 Testemitanu was not bad either- think he signed for a grand piano, bit of a cult hero! 

Agree on Benny too- inherited a mess in some ways, @bristolcitysweden has stated on here before (dunno if true) that the players were in terrible condition, drinking a lot. Wrong era and possibly wrong role too- coach, youth, in a more stable era may have seen some differences- wasn't even hired as a manager either, but when Ward quit he was thrown in at the deep end!

30 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The late revival was really good- was a disastrous start under Benny but atmosphere better then in some ways than now? Certainly better for proportion of fans to noise maybe, dunno.

We showed some real spirit in those latter stages, even though we weren't quite ultimately good enough.

The WBA game- kept playing or so it felt until they equalised. Don't forget the week before also, vs runaway leaders Sunderland- we were battered somewhat but held out- only to be denied at the last by a very late penalty! Scott Davidson came on the pitch or so I read, to remonstrate with officials. That's 2-3 points undeservedly lost right there.

Just before the late revival we played Bradford at home in late March- did Phillips make his debut in goal in that period? Seem to recall we were 2 down, but pulled it back only to lose 3-2...spirit again however vs a high riding side!

Then we beat Port Vale and it was like meh, the Adam Locke winner and then maybe, then 0-1 down to 4-1 up v Grimsby- it's back on! Got the late equaliser at Stockport too, helped to build momentum.

Wonder what would have happened had Mr. Dean not brought the dive by Ndlovu.

Clearly overall, academy, structure, infrastructure, fanbase etc we're in a much better place- but that season had some memories! I think it was the mascots fighting v Wolves that drew me back! ?

I also recall a very boring game vs surprise, surprise Colin's Bury on a freezing Tuesday night- sure there were chants of "Boring Boring Bury".

@City18 Testemitanu was not bad either- think he signed for a grand piano, bit of a cult hero! 

Agree on Benny too- inherited a mess in some ways, @bristolcitysweden has stated on here before (dunno if true) that the players were in terrible condition, drinking a lot. Wrong era and possibly wrong role too- coach, youth, in a more stable era may have seen some differences- wasn't even hired as a manager either, but when Ward quit he was thrown in at the deep end!

Your memory is far stronger than mine Mr P. and your post brings back many warm memories. 

On the subject of the mascots - funny that one, coz I remember just not thinking anything of it when it actually took place, only for the story to then go national. God knows how viral it could have gone in the modern era!

Leading on that train of thought, I would be fascinated to see how this page would have reacted to that season - people are slaughtering LJ for drawing nil nil against Forest: imagine the social media reaction to the beginning of Benny's reign!! 

As for Ivan - quality player, I seem to think he had very kind words to say about us in a recent-ish interview. Round about the same time didn't we also sign another geezer by the name of Vligos Seebok or something along those lines? Another East / Central European punt who also looked quite good at times. Some genuine quality in that squad, but rotten luck throughout the season. They say that luck evens itself out over the course of the year,  but we must have run over a few black cats that year. 

Loving this thread :D 

On 30/11/2019 at 09:01, Oh Louie louie said:

That lovely sunny day against birmingham.

This is how i recall it.

Howells got robbed on the half way line then fell over and feigned injury.

When he ran off the pitch that day after making a great recovery, he got slaughtered by the williams.

The whole of the stand was giving to him trust me on that.

He left town the next day.

Was he subbed after the incident when he gave the ball away? I don’t remember the detail too well on that ...

On 30/11/2019 at 19:36, Mr Popodopolous said:

Would that be the Birmingham home game? 

As I recall,  they got an incredibly fortunate by which I mean plain wrong (what's new) penalty! Akinbyi had a goal disallowed too, no real idea of that was a correct call or not,  the Akinbyi disallowed goal.

Yep, as I recall their goalkeeper collided with one of his defenders and Akinbiyi put the ball away, then it was mysteriously disallowed for no apparent reason. That match also had the comedy Ndlovu dive, which won a non-existent penalty, and the Francis altercation with a steward after the final whistle.

As you said in another post Mr P - harsh to blame Howells for that result. He was a class player. Shame we only had him for a handful of games.

Archived