Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Oh Louie louie

rougly 20 years ago

Recommended Posts

Bo anderson, julian watts, peter beadle, john burns, clements whatever his name was, david howells, carl hutchings, steve torpey, damien spencer.

We think we are doing bad now, i know i might be a year out with some, but remeber what we had.

Im sure ive forgot a few world beaters from that era.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first full season and before that half season.

1998/99 half season, first game the 6-1 v Benny- Pulis followed by his early January departure to be replaced by the "Three wise men" as caretaker managers the first full season...some start!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

My first full season and before that half season.

1998/99 half season, first game the 6-1 v Benny- Pulis followed by his early January departure to be replaced by the "Three wise men" as caretaker managers the first full season...some start!

And to think people complain about the entertainment value now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

And to think people complain about the entertainment value now...

Benny's first 5 games were full of goals though, OTOH!

0-5, 1-6, 1-1, 1-2, 2-4.

23 in 5! 😁 Granted, quite the disastrous start...

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Bo anderson, julian watts, peter beadle, john burns, clements whatever his name was, david howells, carl hutchings, steve torpey, damien spencer.

We think we are doing bad now, i know i might be a year out with some, but remeber what we had.

Im sure ive forgot a few world beaters from that era.

David Howell would walk in our-side now . We had him at the end of his career and he was still head n shoulders above everyone else 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Benny's first 5 games were full of goals though, OTOH!

0-5, 1-6, 1-1, 1-2, 2-4.

23 in 5! 😁 Granted, quite the disastrous start...

What I loved about Benny was the way he would throw his hat onto the floor when something w we not wrong, which was often. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Benny's first 5 games were full of goals though, OTOH!

0-5, 1-6, 1-1, 1-2, 2-4.

23 in 5! 😁 Granted, quite the disastrous start...

That diamond formation in midfield with 2 strikers 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Bo anderson, julian watts, peter beadle, john burns, clements whatever his name was, david howells, carl hutchings, steve torpey, damien spencer.

 

How to make a man feel old in one sentence.... and I'm only 34!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, PhilC said:

 

How to make a man feel old in one sentence!

Ask, "Lets do that again",  a week after you did it the last time, but he's worried he might not be able to manage it again so soon. 

How to make a man feel really old in one sentence.

Ask "lets do that again" a couple of minutes after finishing the previous time,  but he can't remember what it was you did and that you've asked him  to do again!

 :) 

 

 

Edited by downendcity
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Ask, "Lets do that again",  a week after you did it the last time, but he's worried he might not be able to manage it again so soon. 

How to make a man feel really old in one sentence.

Ask "lets do that again" a couple of minutes after finishing the previous time,  but he can't remember what it was you did and that you've asked him  to do again!

 :) 

 

 

can you repeat that please. I forgot what you said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

No that was 1999 not 2009, that would have made it ten years.

 

Which strengthens my point. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Bo anderson, julian watts, peter beadle, john burns, clements whatever his name was, david howells, carl hutchings, steve torpey, damien spencer.

We think we are doing bad now, i know i might be a year out with some, but remeber what we had.

Im sure ive forgot a few world beaters from that era.

It’s roughly 40 years ago when we had the likes of Merrick,Gow and that ilk.Some people think we are doing good now 

Edited by joe jordans teeth
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, pongo88 said:

What I loved about Benny was the way he would throw his hat onto the floor when something w we not wrong, which was often. 

Yes quite right, remember those well, but when he won a game he celebrated and threw his cap into the crowd.  The lesser spotted authenticated Benny "winning caps" fetch a premium price at Sotheby's these days, look out for Dickinson's Real Deal or the Antiques Road Show.....or maybe your local car boot sale🤣

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That lovely sunny day against birmingham.

This is how i recall it.

Howells got robbed on the half way line then fell over and feigned injury.

When he ran off the pitch that day after making a great recovery, he got slaughtered by the williams.

The whole of the stand was giving to him trust me on that.

He left town the next day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

David howells was crap for us cost us the birmingham game, then disapeared.

Would that be the Birmingham home game? 

As I recall,  they got an incredibly fortunate by which I mean plain wrong (what's new) penalty! Akinbyi had a goal disallowed too, no real idea of that was a correct call or not,  the Akinbyi disallowed goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Would that be the Birmingham home game? 

As I recall,  they got an incredibly fortunate by which I mean plain wrong (what's new) penalty! Akinbyi had a goal disallowed too, no real idea of that was a correct call or not,  the Akinbyi disallowed goal.

The penalty was a blatant dive by Peter Ndlovu, or Cheater Ndlovu as he was known from that day on.

Think that was the game where Trevor Francis slapped one of our stewards in the tunnel as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

The penalty was a blatant dive by Peter Ndlovu, or Cheater Ndlovu as he was known from that day on.

Think that was the game where Trevor Francis slapped one of our stewards in the tunnel as well.

Coming back to me now- the Francis fight in the tunnel, how could I forget!

Harsh to blame Howells for that loss- it was largely the officials for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Would that be the Birmingham home game? 

As I recall,  they got an incredibly fortunate by which I mean plain wrong (what's new) penalty!

The non penalty was awarded by novice referee Mike Dean. He was shite that day and has been no better ever since. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The non penalty was awarded by novice referee Mike Dean. He was shite that day and has been no better ever since. 

That's the one!

I still can't remember if Akinbyi's goal was a correct call or not- I suspect it may not have been!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/11/2019 at 20:44, shelts said:

David Howell would walk in our-side now . We had him at the end of his career and he was still head n shoulders above everyone else 

I thought he was great for us and I thought he was carrying a bit of an injury. Always seemed to have longer on the ball than the other players we had at that time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So he was carrying a injury, 32 years old played 9 times in 2 years before joining us from southampton, and you think he was performing ok for us.

He would walk into our side? no chance.

Nobody wanted him after that, and as i say he couldnt leave bristol quick enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

So he was carrying a injury, 32 years old played 9 times in 2 years before joining us from southampton, and you think he was performing ok for us.

He would walk into our side? no chance.

Nobody wanted him after that, and as i say he couldnt leave bristol quick enough.

He retired the year after from pro football. Says it all really...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/11/2019 at 00:06, Oh Louie louie said:

The squad we had in 1999 one of the worst in history.

In 2009 we were in a simalar postion to now.

 

In 1989, on the other hand, we were having one of our best seasons, with Mark Gavin bamboozling defences and Bob Taylor knocking them in.  What a team that was...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

I thought he was great for us and I thought he was carrying a bit of an injury. Always seemed to have longer on the ball than the other players we had at that time.

He was very tidy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

So he was carrying a injury, 32 years old played 9 times in 2 years before joining us from southampton, and you think he was performing ok for us.

He would walk into our side? no chance.

Nobody wanted him after that, and as i say he couldnt leave bristol quick enough.

He was on the wane for sure but still tidy enough for us . We must’ve finished him off !!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/11/2019 at 16:52, Oh Louie louie said:

Bo anderson, julian watts, peter beadle, john burns, clements whatever his name was, david howells, carl hutchings, steve torpey, damien spencer.

We think we are doing bad now, i know i might be a year out with some, but remeber what we had.

Im sure ive forgot a few world beaters from that era.

David Howell was a decent player. Came on loan for about 5 games and looked a cut above what we had. Nothing to do with some of the rest of the names - Julian Watts and Hutchings in particular was shambolic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/11/2019 at 23:16, Oh Louie louie said:

David howells was crap for us cost us the birmingham game, then disapeared.

He really wasn't. He was obvious of Premier League quality.

What cost us that game was a horrible penalty decision given to them for nothing - Peter Ndlouv if I remember correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/11/2019 at 02:17, New Dazzler said:

Yes quite right, remember those well, but when he won a game he celebrated and threw his cap into the crowd.  The lesser spotted authenticated Benny "winning caps" fetch a premium price at Sotheby's these days, look out for Dickinson's Real Deal or the Antiques Road Show.....or maybe your local car boot sale🤣

I bet you of all people are capable of spotting a 'bobby Dazzler' when you see one! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/11/2019 at 20:36, Mr Popodopolous said:

Would that be the Birmingham home game? 

As I recall,  they got an incredibly fortunate by which I mean plain wrong (what's new) penalty! Akinbyi had a goal disallowed too, no real idea of that was a correct call or not,  the Akinbyi disallowed goal.

Despite the relegation, I absolutely loved that season - some blinding away days (the legendary visit to West Brom) and we very nearly made it a great escape. Remember a cracking 1-0 last minute win away at Pompey on the easter bank holiday and thinking it had come together at just the right moment. That Birmingham game took the wind right from our sales and the mini revival came crashing to a halt. I can't remember much of the Brum game other than the baking heat and the feeling that we had been utterly cheated! 

A great laugh following city though that year, and in fairness to Benny I can't help but feel he was the right man in the wrong era. 

Edited by poland_exile
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Adam locke header from a corner in the last minute at portsmouth that gave us a bit of hope.

The game that done my head in was the west brom game, silly amount of injury time last minute goal.

I recall a bad injury in that game, i think it was ivan?

We got a real lucky win at bury that season too, colin cramb went down way outside the box, and the ref gave a pen.

This pleased neil warnock no end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/11/2019 at 16:52, Oh Louie louie said:

Bo anderson, julian watts, peter beadle, john burns, clements whatever his name was, david howells, carl hutchings, steve torpey, damien spencer.

We think we are doing bad now, i know i might be a year out with some, but remeber what we had.

Im sure ive forgot a few world beaters from that era.

Some very fond memories of some of that squad! Why pick out a few poor players and ignore the likes of scotty Murray, Mickey bell, Louis Carey, Tommy Doherty, Aaron Brown, Tony Thorpe? 

Do you remember 2019/20 season when we got battered by West Brom 4-1? Rene Gilmartin, Hakeeb Adelakun, Marley Watkins, Antoine Semenyo, Rodri 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That West Brom late equaliser really hurt - we had played so well that day and deserved the win. 
 

After the win at Portsmouth I convinced myself we were going to stay up. Their fans were definitely sore losers that day - I remembering getting loads of verbal abuse after leaving the ground. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/11/2019 at 00:01, joe jordans teeth said:

It’s roughly 40 years ago when we had the likes of Merrick,Gow and that ilk.Some people think we are doing good now 

 

Kalas and Massengo might think so?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, City18 said:

Some very fond memories of some of that squad! Why pick out a few poor players and ignore the likes of scotty Murray, Mickey bell, Louis Carey, Tommy Doherty, Aaron Brown, Tony Thorpe? 

Do you remember 2019/20 season when we got battered by West Brom 4-1? Rene Gilmartin, Hakeeb Adelakun, Marley Watkins, Antoine Semenyo, Rodri 

Pains me to say it i got a lot of time for the players you mentioned city 18, take louis out that list those players didnt play 200 games between them at this level id wager?

What does that tell you?

They werent up to this level, only louis id say, when murray came back dont forget he was lucky to get a game most weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...