IGNORED

Championship Table

Sir Geoff

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Dream on!

Whenever we can climb the table by winning, you know what happens.

Another boring, miserable draw or even worse.

The fact of the matter is, we are not as good as Leeds, Fulham or WBA nor do we have the same quality of players in our squads. For that reason, a win followed by a boring draw and then an occasional loss is about the stage of where we are as a club. The automatics will be our of our reach for that reason, however top 6 would be an absolute incredible result and it is hardly out of the question.

Admittedly the football shown hasn’t been great, but it’s almost as if fans have forgotten that the club is in the best state it has been in for the last decade. 

4 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

The fact of the matter is, we are not as good as Leeds, Fulham or WBA nor do we have the same quality of players in our squads. For that reason, a win followed by a boring draw and then an occasional loss is about the stage of where we are as a club. The automatics will be our of our reach for that reason, however top 6 would be an absolute incredible result and it is hardly out of the question.

Admittedly the football shown hasn’t been great, but it’s almost as if fans have forgotten that the club is in the best state it has been in for the last decade. 

Lots to agree with there MF.

Out of interest, had Afobe stayed fit, did you see top 2 as a possibility?  I did, albeit unlikely, but I thought we’d be cemented in the top 6, rather than hovering around the edge.

For me, and it might be coincidence, the 3 losses have been against teams that I thought won the physical battle.  Even the likes of a physical PNE side I thought we matched the battle.  We looked a soft touch on Wednesday.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Lots to agree with there MF.

Out of interest, had Afobe stayed fit, did you see top 2 as a possibility?  I did, albeit unlikely, but I thought we’d be cemented in the top 6, rather than hovering around the edge.

For me, and it might be coincidence, the 3 losses have been against teams that I thought won the physical battle.  Even the likes of a physical PNE side I thought we matched the battle.  We looked a soft touch on Wednesday.

Top 4 perhaps, I think we have now seen WBA and Fulham start to click. Even with Afobe, I don’t think our squad is as strong as either of theirs. 

The Fulham team is scary strong, Mitrovic is an animal at this level and they have an ex 20+ goal scorer of our sat behind him with Cavaliero and Knockaert on the wings. Not to mention two promotion winners in Cairney and Johansen in the middle.

We have also seen first hand how good Leeds and West Brom are, and they have looked a step above anyone else we have played. 

I sympathise a little this season, the football hasn’t been great, but we have had a few spanners in the works with missed signings (Nketiah) and injuries (Afobe + others missing some months).

If we finished 7th I would of course be a bit disappointed but would find it far more acceptable than in the case where these things hadn’t of happened. If it sets us up to have a well bedded team next season then so be it. 

2 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Top 4 perhaps, I think we have now seen WBA and Fulham start to click. Even with Afobe, I don’t think our squad is as strong as either of theirs. 

The Fulham team is scary strong, Mitrovic is an animal at this level and they have an ex 20+ goal scorer of our sat behind him with Cavaliero and Knockaert on the wings. Not to mention two promotion winners in Cairney and Johansen in the middle.

We have also seen first hand how good Leeds and West Brom are, and they have looked a step above anyone else we have played. 

I sympathise a little this season, the football hasn’t been great, but we have had a few spanners in the works with missed signings (Nketiah) and injuries (Afobe + others missing some months).

If we finished 7th I would of course be a bit disappointed but would find it far more acceptable than in the case where these things hadn’t of happened. If it sets us up to have a well bedded team next season then so be it. 

Isn't that what we all thought at the end of last season? Then we sold half our team and we've gone backwards since then

3 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Yeah, probably matches my view ??

24 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Can"t disagree........but its just the quality of our play which is so disappointing. I appreciate we have lost Webster,  Dasilva and Afobe.......but we are mostly a dull and monotonous team, with little to entertain.

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Isn't that what we all thought at the end of last season? Then we sold half our team and we've gone backwards since then

Yes, but long term injuries to key players such as Afobe and Jay DaSilva could not have been predicted. Then we have lost Kalas and Nagy for a matter of months as well. I doubt we would be in the same position that we are now if they had been fit, and we are in 7th! 

3 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Starting to take shape after Fulham's win at Swansea last night. Preston home to West Brom on Monday gives us a chance to move up to 5th with a win today.

That’s it then, we’re doomed. I hate it when people “ we can move up to X if we win today” as it means we are going to lose 

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

Can"t disagree........but its just the quality of our play which is so disappointing. I appreciate we have lost Webster,  Dasilva and Afobe.......but we are mostly a dull and monotonous team, with little to entertain.

Agreed, I think that is due to the pressure on LJ to achieve top 6 this season. He would perhaps be better served by trying to implement the style of play for the rest of the season, but then if he does that and we start to drop points would that be at the expense of his job security? I think that is the main worry. 

I think WBA, Leeds,and Fulham will compete for top two, but after that I really don't see anyone to be scared off. With players coming back from injury there really is no reason why ou current squad ( with a striker in January) can not finish in the top six. 

After that the Play Off lottery, and anything is possible.

COYRs

Archived