IGNORED

Harsh or fair?

Bristol Rob

On 30/11/2019 at 11:01, Bristol Rob said:

Seems fair enough to me. Get involved in a mass brawl in public and get caught, then expect to be punished for it.

That said, I daresay the Rovers fans will appeal the football banning orders that have been handed down, asking them to be extended. 

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not condoning this, but one thing that annoys me is that this was away from Football.

Football Banning Orders, while possibly justified, give a misleading impression of football and football fans, environment. FSA Faircop probably would put it better than me anyway!

Away from football.... watching the world cup weren't they?

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Away from football stadia then- I'll try and find a post or 2 online about it- I'd put it down to anti social behaviour- full stop.

Interesting point. Definitely not good, but football as such...debatable.

It's clearly football related.... It was an organised meet between city and rovers whilst England were playing in world cup. A sensible man like you knows this surely?

You would need micheal mansfield as a qc to convince anybody this wasnt football related.

If they would have bumped into each other before they had had a drink you think they would have shook hands?

This would have been organised a long time in advance.

You see drunken fights at night in park street at night due to drinking fair enough, but broad daylight on a sunday afternoon?

You dont see too much of that do you unless a games on.

• Admin

Sadly the perfect example of an offence being made worse because they have tagged a football link to the event

I am sure that this is not the first or the last of these kind of brawls that have happened in Bristol, but as usual, and I don't know how or why but in this region people seem to get longer convictions.

If a group of guys that kick off after a Christmas meal in town get the same treatment - names in the paper - time in prison - then fair enough

But we all know they wouldn't

• Admin
10 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

You see drunken fights at night in park street at night due to drinking fair enough, but broad daylight on a sunday afternoon?

The reason for that was the kick off time of the England game, but equally I have seen brawls on the waterfront during summer months in the daytime!

I'm led to believe that it was more a chance meeting than being pre-arranged - do you honestly think so many people would turn up if people were on the phone to each other pre-arranging a scrap?

6 hours ago, phantom said:

Sadly the perfect example of an offence being made worse because they have tagged a football link to the event

I am sure that this is not the first or the last of these kind of brawls that have happened in Bristol, but as usual, and I don't know how or why but in this region people seem to get longer convictions.

If a group of guys that kick off after a Christmas meal in town get the same treatment - names in the paper - time in prison - then fair enough

But we all know they wouldn't

Worse trouble at a rugby game at Ashton Gate a couple of years ago, all brushed under the carpet, but the word 'football' has made this a lot worse than it should of been.

• Admin
13 hours ago, northsomersetred said:

Worse trouble at a rugby game at Ashton Gate a couple of years ago, all brushed under the carpet, but the word 'football' has made this a lot worse than it should of been.

Interesting point

Obviously @JulieH can't comment on specific people, but is there any reason why supporters of different sports are clearly treated differently when it comes to sentencing?

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Interesting point

Obviously @JulieH can't comment on specific people, but is there any reason why supporters of different sports are clearly treated differently when it comes to sentencing?

Would guess (and it is only a guess) it has something to do with the football offences act which I think comes with a different set of sentencing guidelines.

On 04/12/2019 at 02:49, Oh Louie louie said:

You would need micheal mansfield as a qc to convince anybody this wasnt football related.

If they would have bumped into each other before they had had a drink you think they would have shook hands?

You dont see too much of that do you unless a games on.

It certainly wasn't pre-arranged, if it was then there would of been many more there, also a few of them weren't even football fans. 

Archived