Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
Bristol Rob

Harsh or fair?

On 30/11/2019 at 11:01, Bristol Rob said:

Seems fair enough to me. Get involved in a mass brawl in public and get caught, then expect to be punished for it.

That said, I daresay the Rovers fans will appeal the football banning orders that have been handed down, asking them to be extended. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not condoning this, but one thing that annoys me is that this was away from Football.

Football Banning Orders, while possibly justified, give a misleading impression of football and football fans, environment. FSA Faircop probably would put it better than me anyway!

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not condoning this, but one thing that annoys me is that this was away from Football.

Football Banning Orders, while possibly justified, give a misleading impression of football and football fans, environment. FSA Faircop probably would put it better than me anyway!

Away from football.... watching the world cup weren't they?

18 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Away from football.... watching the world cup weren't they?

Away from football stadia then- I'll try and find a post or 2 online about it- I'd put it down to anti social behaviour- full stop.

Interesting point. Definitely not good, but football as such...debatable.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Away from football stadia then- I'll try and find a post or 2 online about it- I'd put it down to anti social behaviour- full stop.

Interesting point. Definitely not good, but football as such...debatable.

It's clearly football related.... It was an organised meet between city and rovers whilst England were playing in world cup. A sensible man like you knows this surely?

• Like 1

You would need micheal mansfield as a qc to convince anybody this wasnt football related.

If they would have bumped into each other before they had had a drink you think they would have shook hands?

This would have been organised a long time in advance.

You see drunken fights at night in park street at night due to drinking fair enough, but broad daylight on a sunday afternoon?

You dont see too much of that do you unless a games on.

Sadly the perfect example of an offence being made worse because they have tagged a football link to the event

I am sure that this is not the first or the last of these kind of brawls that have happened in Bristol, but as usual, and I don't know how or why but in this region people seem to get longer convictions.

If a group of guys that kick off after a Christmas meal in town get the same treatment - names in the paper - time in prison - then fair enough

But we all know they wouldn't

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

You see drunken fights at night in park street at night due to drinking fair enough, but broad daylight on a sunday afternoon?

The reason for that was the kick off time of the England game, but equally I have seen brawls on the waterfront during summer months in the daytime!

I'm led to believe that it was more a chance meeting than being pre-arranged - do you honestly think so many people would turn up if people were on the phone to each other pre-arranging a scrap?

6 hours ago, phantom said:

Sadly the perfect example of an offence being made worse because they have tagged a football link to the event

I am sure that this is not the first or the last of these kind of brawls that have happened in Bristol, but as usual, and I don't know how or why but in this region people seem to get longer convictions.

If a group of guys that kick off after a Christmas meal in town get the same treatment - names in the paper - time in prison - then fair enough

But we all know they wouldn't

Worse trouble at a rugby game at Ashton Gate a couple of years ago, all brushed under the carpet, but the word 'football' has made this a lot worse than it should of been.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, northsomersetred said:

Worse trouble at a rugby game at Ashton Gate a couple of years ago, all brushed under the carpet, but the word 'football' has made this a lot worse than it should of been.

Interesting point

Obviously @JulieH can't comment on specific people, but is there any reason why supporters of different sports are clearly treated differently when it comes to sentencing?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Interesting point

Obviously @JulieH can't comment on specific people, but is there any reason why supporters of different sports are clearly treated differently when it comes to sentencing?

Would guess (and it is only a guess) it has something to do with the football offences act which I think comes with a different set of sentencing guidelines.

• Like 1

On 04/12/2019 at 02:49, Oh Louie louie said:

You would need micheal mansfield as a qc to convince anybody this wasnt football related.

If they would have bumped into each other before they had had a drink you think they would have shook hands?

You dont see too much of that do you unless a games on.

It certainly wasn't pre-arranged, if it was then there would of been many more there, also a few of them weren't even football fans. 

All those mugshots were football fans.

One of the gentlemen from knowle west is very well known in south bristol.

So those rovers rans all just walked up park street and attacked a random bar in broad daylight for no reason.

Can you tell me which ones out the 13 convictions werent football fans?

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

All those mugshots were football fans.

One of the gentlemen from knowle west is very well known in south bristol.

So those rovers rans all just walked up park street and attacked a random bar in broad daylight for no reason.

Can you tell me which ones out the 13 convictions werent football fans?

You said it was pre-arranged, it wasn't.

I also know the KW lads (including the ones that didn't get arrested) but I don't really want to get in a debate about it to be honest

7 hours ago, phantom said:

Interesting point

The worst trouble inside the ground in well over 20-30yrs but no big news story, if it had been football,  jesus the evil post and the a&s police media mouthpiece would have gone into meltdown.

• Like 1

I alongwith with others were the oic for this case and were present throughout the sentencing last week .

13 defendants pleaded guilty to affray 

prosecution were able to provide evidence alongside the affray evidence that this was a football related disorder between Bristol rovers fans and a group who they believed to be Bristol city fans. The judge ruled in favour and therefore also issued football banning orders to those he felt was necessary to prevent further disorder at or in connection with a football match.  He also issued a lengthy judgement on that decision 

It’s  a very formal reply at this stage as we are obviously still awaiting any appeal from any of the defendants against sentencing . 

we did not present it as a pre arranged disorder and there was no evidence to suggest that was the case 

12 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

So you got rovers fans from withywood, knowle, fishponds, emerson green, all meeting up to watch england in the same bar.

Thats not a coincidence.

We don't allow Rovers fans in Knowle 🙂

46 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Theres loads up knowle sadly.

Come on guys rovers got mobbed up went looking for trouble and found it.

Thats organised.

A few up Knowle Park but that's it

Dunno if you follow the bristol boxing scene galway but theres a boxer from knowle whos gas, as is his family.

Il let that comment about a hartcliffe hand slide😅

You can even spot a few over here on the bus stop for gloucester road on a saturday it pains me too say,

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JulieH said:

I alongwith with others were the oic for this case and were present throughout the sentencing last week .

13 defendants pleaded guilty to affray 

prosecution were able to provide evidence alongside the affray evidence that this was a football related disorder between Bristol rovers fans and a group who they believed to be Bristol city fans. The judge ruled in favour and therefore also issued football banning orders to those he felt was necessary to prevent further disorder at or in connection with a football match.  He also issued a lengthy judgement on that decision 

It’s  a very formal reply at this stage as we are obviously still awaiting any appeal from any of the defendants against sentencing . 

we did not present it as a pre arranged disorder and there was no evidence to suggest that was the case 

@JulieH Thank you for the reply, but what is OIC?

13 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Theres loads up knowle sadly.

Come on guys rovers got mobbed up went looking for trouble and found it.

Thats organised.

As previously quoted there was no evidence that the disorder was organised 

On 06/12/2019 at 12:09, JulieH said:

As previously quoted there was no evidence that the disorder was organised 

Managed to get the full story last night, as I suspected it certainly wasn't pre-planned and not even football related despite the police's best efforts to say it was

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Galway Red said:

Managed to get the full story last night, as I suspected it certainly wasn't pre-planned and not even football related despite the police's best efforts to say it was

However the judge saw and heard all the evidence and decided otherwise 

8 minutes ago, JulieH said:

However the judge saw and heard all the evidence and decided otherwise 

Which makes it even worse, you know full well the so called 'City fans' had no interest in football despite your best efforts to find otherwise