IGNORED

5pm Tonight - Wonderful in Hindsight!!!

Davefevs

1 hour ago, RedSA said:

Yeah, there’s always a lot of posters who ‘could’ve told you we’d get beat with that setup/lineup’ after the match. They don’t seem to say it before though...

Maybe because they would be criticised for being negative, not that that ever happens of course.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Got a feeling today’s game is a bit of a watershed for our season.  It shouldn’t be, just feels that way after Wednesday.

I was gonna do a poll, along the lines of - ‘nail your colours to the mast’ - based on your thoughts at 2pm when you see today’s line-up with options like:

• happy with eleven - we are gonna win
  • unhappy with eleven - we are gonna lose
  • meh with eleven - we are gonna draw
  • etc

But it didn’t quite fit with what I was trying to get out of it.  I guess I go back to that game at Newcastle when most people went ballistic when they saw LJ start Wilbs and Vyner, but we drew 2-2 and played decently, even if we lost a 2-0 lead.

I rarely criticise the starting eleven.  It might not be what I would choose but as @Robbored reminds us, we don’t see what goes on at the training ground, and for a good while now, I see the logic in his selections.  Wednesday night for example, the 5311 kept the ball well in a first half spell, but ultimately individual mistakes let us down....but of course post game it was all “effin 5 at the back, blah, blah, blah”.  I don’t think the line-up was the problem, more too many individuals didn’t play well, lost their battles, both first half 5311 and second half 442.

So I was keen to understand how much our posters change their view pre and post-game.  Is the Match Day Thread full of turncoats?  Or are the doom-mongerers, always doom and gloom, whilst the Happy Clappers always over-positive?  Or is it the sit-on-the-fence brigade just sat there waiting to see what happens then go full-blast plus or minus depending on what’s just happened.  In some respects some of our players help our posters with that, e.g. Diedhiou - Cant trap a bag of cement, but also scores a great diving header v Reading, Hunt - rubbish full-back, oh, there’s another assist.  Those aren’t my views by the way!

Tonight at 5pm we will be seeing comments that could go either way.

Tactical Genius, he’s taking us to Europe vs Clueless, got to go.

I told you 433/ was what we needed vs it’s obvious why he’s not gone 433 before because we haven’t got the players 

Eliasson must start vs Eliasson never plays well when he starts, he’s an impact player only.

So long winded pre-amble.

What are your yin and yang hindsight comments gonna be.  Here’s mine:

Korey Smith - “he’s a legend, shows what we’ve been missing” versus “knew he couldn’t start twice in quick succession”

Did our players believe that they were better or at least as good as West Brom ? 
Have they changed their minds after the match ?

Today, for me, is a very important game . Lose to Huddersfield, who are not a bad side , and I think that psychologically we will give up on a top six finish .

Win and it’s back on .

No one will admit that and if we have a good transfer window we could ‘ go again ‘  but the last game seemed to me like our Wolves game when the wheels came off .

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Got a feeling today’s game is a bit of a watershed for our season.  It shouldn’t be, just feels that way after Wednesday.

I was gonna do a poll, along the lines of - ‘nail your colours to the mast’ - based on your thoughts at 2pm when you see today’s line-up with options like:

• etc

But it didn’t quite fit with what I was trying to get out of it.  I guess I go back to that game at Newcastle when most people went ballistic when they saw LJ start Wilbs and Vyner, but we drew 2-2 and played decently, even if we lost a 2-0 lead.

I rarely criticise the starting eleven.  It might not be what I would choose but as @Robbored reminds us, we don’t see what goes on at the training ground, and for a good while now, I see the logic in his selections.  Wednesday night for example, the 5311 kept the ball well in a first half spell, but ultimately individual mistakes let us down....but of course post game it was all “effin 5 at the back, blah, blah, blah”.  I don’t think the line-up was the problem, more too many individuals didn’t play well, lost their battles, both first half 5311 and second half 442.

So I was keen to understand how much our posters change their view pre and post-game.  Is the Match Day Thread full of turncoats?  Or are the doom-mongerers, always doom and gloom, whilst the Happy Clappers always over-positive?  Or is it the sit-on-the-fence brigade just sat there waiting to see what happens then go full-blast plus or minus depending on what’s just happened.  In some respects some of our players help our posters with that, e.g. Diedhiou - Cant trap a bag of cement, but also scores a great diving header v Reading, Hunt - rubbish full-back, oh, there’s another assist.  Those aren’t my views by the way!

I told you 433/ was what we needed vs it’s obvious why he’s not gone 433 before because we haven’t got the players 

Eliasson must start vs Eliasson never plays well when he starts, he’s an impact player only.

Korey Smith - “he’s a legend, shows what we’ve been missing” versus “knew he couldn’t start twice in quick succession”

Before: "Our defence is pretty solid and does well to limit the attacking team"

After: "Ffs we just gifted them goals"

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'm not looking towards the play offs at all - I'm looking for positivity and entertainment, some consistency of performance, and see where that gets us.

Do you know, I’d be so over the moon with that. To the point I’d rather we played positively and lost rather than the same old negative boring football and pick up a point or three. 

2 hours ago, Red Army 87 said:

If we go with a back 4 central pairing of Williams and Baker we will struggle, as they won’t get the quality of protection they need from perreira / Rowe and they would need it.

If LJ does go with that I hope to be replying to this at 5pm saying how wrong I was.

Hope I’m wrong ?

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

• etc

Well, hes picked ( bar Kalas ), exactly the team and ( i think formation 4231 ), that i wanted him to from available players. 
So i wont be moaning about that at 5pm. 
if we tippy tappy it around again and Bentley has more touches than outfield players like he seems to in home matches, then i’ll bemoan the incorrect tactics, even if it was the ‘right’ team selection. 

But we are going to win 4-1 today so who cares......!!!!?

7 hours ago, marmite said:

There is half a dozen of us that meet up on the concourse and the first question is.."Have you seen the starting eleven?". This is quickly followed by a heated debate about why him, why not him, Is he injured, is he banned, what's LJ thinking?  We never agree before the game but afterwards we all say " I told you so". There will be 20000 team selections today before the game but the only one that matters is the managers. That might not make him right though!!

Well this humble pie tastes good tonight. Lee got the team right , the tactics right, and I  went home happy to have been entertained. A great platform to build on with not too much tinkering. Good response from the crowd today too. Win win.

2 minutes ago, marmite said:

Well this humble pie tastes good tonight. Lee got the team right , the tactics right, and I  went home happy to have been entertained. A great platform to build on with not too much tinkering. Good response from the crowd today too. Win win.

I was really happy with the starting eleven...desperately wanted to see Nagy and Massengo together.  But when we lined up 4231 from the first set position after k/o, I was a tad disappointed.  However I quickly changed when I saw Brownhill playing narrow and Weimann playing in a pocket.  Too often in the past the wide players in our 4231, play too wide and too far forward.  Eliasson found better receiving angles on the left.  It reminded me of Ipswich away last season when all our goals came from him and Kelly.

How refreshing was that. The system played to fams strengths by having willing runners off him. He didn’t have to run the channels because he had legs around him with support from midfield. I’d go as far to say it was his best game in a city shirt even though he didn’t get on the score sheet as his link up play was excellent and gave a great focal point for nic and andi to make their runs. 
also , Eliasson , him and wiemann very fluid  in their movement . Not just stuck out wide but also taking up central roles at times . 
biggest plus for me is we can see Eliasson isn’t just a winger . He can play that wide attacking forward , two footed , and what a header . Brilliant performance . That system suits us down to the ground. How nice to see Nagy and massengo in the same team as well . 
if my following posts don’t make sense it’s because I’ve several bottles of katy in the fridge that I’m now getting stuck into. COYR 

Right , first up I have to admit that some games, either through emotion or alcohol I don't always study the nuances of the game at the time. Today I was pleased with the XI even though I thought it was more 442 than the 433 I had hoped for. That said, so much more intensity (at least to start) , but you have to hand a large part of todays win to Huddersfield, they weren't great. 41% but we win 5-2, I don't know why, or how we just give up possession, but the difference from12-18 month ago is stark. What I would say is the difference that goals make to peoples perception is massive. I honestly don't think we were THAT much better than Wednesday, what I would say  is that the opposition was vastly different.  It was better , and there were less (fewer) mistakes but it wasn't IMO 5 goals better than Wednesday. What it was, is something to build on.
One last thing, I came out smiling for the first time in months, well done City.

8 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

Teams know how to play against City at the gate. Hudds will do the same, sit deep and counterattack. The formula is to be agressive, high tempo in ball and players. Find Weimann when he runs, know were the ball is coming from Eliasson. Dont mess with the ball in defence and midfield. Its not gonna be easy today but think we will make it. Famara and Niclas starts. COYR!!!

It was easy, not often that happens. A very good performance by City.

32 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Right , first up I have to admit that some games, either through emotion or alcohol I don't always study the nuances of the game at the time. Today I was pleased with the XI even though I thought it was more 442 than the 433 I had hoped for. That said, so much more intensity (at least to start) , but you have to hand a large part of todays win to Huddersfield, they weren't great. 41% but we win 5-2, I don't know why, or how we just give up possession, but the difference from12-18 month ago is stark. What I would say is the difference that goals make to peoples perception is massive. I honestly don't think we were THAT much better than Wednesday, what I would say  is that the opposition was vastly different.  It was better , and there were less (fewer) mistakes but it wasn't IMO 5 goals better than Wednesday. What it was, is something to build on.
One last thing, I came out smiling for the first time in months, well done City.

Yeah, WBA away is somewhat of a different challenge to Huddersfield at home, of course.

However, if they looked poor- decent chunk of that was down to us. We made them look not so good, in a lot of ways. I thiught less of a 4-4-2 personally, 4-2-3-1 but with the personnel we played that can be quite interchangeable.

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

How refreshing was that. The system played to fams strengths by having willing runners off him. He didn’t have to run the channels because he had legs around him with support from midfield. I’d go as far to say it was his best game in a city shirt even though he didn’t get on the score sheet as his link up play was excellent and gave a great focal point for nic and andi to make their runs. 
also , Eliasson , him and wiemann very fluid  in their movement . Not just stuck out wide but also taking up central roles at times . 
biggest plus for me is we can see Eliasson isn’t just a winger . He can play that wide attacking forward , two footed , and what a header . Brilliant performance . That system suits us down to the ground. How nice to see Nagy and massengo in the same team as well . 
if my following posts don’t make sense it’s because I’ve several bottles of katy in the fridge that I’m now getting stuck into. COYR 

Absolutely agreed.

What you said about Eliasson, Weimann especially- fluid and the fact that Eliasson can drift in as you mentioned, wide attacking- that's very good to see and yeah some of his assists earlier in the season hinted at this for sure.

I wonder how much of his past pigeonholing as a winger was down to instruction- he seems to have it in his locker to do either though, which is excellent moving forward.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

but with the personnel we played that can be quite interchangeable.

Absolutely, I don't agree with the people moaning about playing several systems in one game. What LJ has them doing is moving and filing gaps and not being rigid to systems. I'm really excited for that MF3 , HNM, Nagy and Brownhill are an exciting prospect.

56 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, WBA away is somewhat of a different challenge to Huddersfield at home, of course.

However, if they looked poor- decent chunk of that was down to us. We made them look not so good, in a lot of ways. I thiught less of a 4-4-2 personally, 4-2-3-1 but with the personnel we played that can be quite interchangeable.

Absolutely agreed.

What you said about Eliasson, Weimann especially- fluid and the fact that Eliasson can drift in as you mentioned, wide attacking- that's very good to see and yeah some of his assists earlier in the season hinted at this for sure.

I wonder how much of his past pigeonholing as a winger was down to instruction- he seems to have it in his locker to do either though, which is excellent moving forward.

It’s a system we need to carry on with at home . Our away form has been superb for over a year so no need to change it . The 433 or 4231 which we played today . Do you think that can be tweaked away to be slightly more counter attacking ? 

Quite simple for me. We spent less time on aimless passing to and fro along the back four/five. Instead, we had quicker passes into the midfield and forward, players like Eliasson running at pace with the ball at the opposing midfield, creating gaps and pulling defenders out of position.

We controlled the tempo of the match, instead of allowing the other side to do it.

We looked like a home team instead of trying to play like an away team on the break. About time too!

8 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Quite simple for me. We spent less time on aimless passing to and fro along the back four/five. Instead, we had quicker passes into the midfield and forward, players like Eliasson running at pace with the ball at the opposing midfield, creating gaps and pulling defenders out of position.

We controlled the tempo of the match, instead of allowing the other side to do it.

We looked like a home team instead of trying to play like an away team on the break. About time too!

Yesterday we got the midfielders on the ball instead of having Williams, Baker and company , who for all their qualities, are not creative attacking players .

16 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Spot on CA.

For the first time this season, especially in the first half,  we really played forward incisively and with pace. The players selected and the formation worked perfectly and meant that there was no need for possession to be retained in midfield with the ball (as usually is the case) going sideways or backwards nor was there any need for someone trying to make a slide- rule forward pass. All to often this season we’ve suffered due to our limited options in the forward line (to be clear I’m not having a go at Fammy)

What a difference today...NE was a constant threat, JB and NH combining really well on several occasions and FD and AW worked their socks off as usual. My only disappointment was that Fammy wasn’t rewarded with a goal. However, his contribution was massive and he appeared to really enjoy the match. It must be a thankless task for him being isolated up top game in game out.

14 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Spot on CA.

For the first time this season, especially in the first half,  we really played forward incisively and with pace. The players selected and the formation worked perfectly and meant that there was no need for possession to be retained in midfield with the ball (as usually is the case) going sideways or backwards nor was there any need for someone trying to make a slide- rule forward pass. All to often this season we’ve suffered due to our limited options in the forward line (to be clear I’m not having a go at Fammy)

What a difference today...NE was a constant threat, JB and NH combining really well on several occasions and FD and AW worked their socks off as usual. My only disappointment was that Fammy wasn’t rewarded with a goal. However, his contribution was massive and he appeared to really enjoy the match. It must be a thankless task for him being isolated up top game in game out.

Was watching Wyscout earlier and there were two specific plays where Baker picked out Diedhiou first time.

1st occasion - Rowe laid it back to him, he played it 30 yards into Fam, who got it under, rolled his man and passed it infield

2nd occasion - Baker to Rowe, back to Baker, who played it first time (again) into Fam.  Rowe had continued his run and Fam first time lay off into Rowe, who almost broke the back line.

I’m sure the system had an effect yesterday, but tempo was the major factor imho.

F77B66F4-1175-451C-9318-0D9F83099B75.thumb.jpeg.c73ffb59cbf73c7d4917a355a2235eb8.jpeg

On 30/11/2019 at 11:39, spudski said:

As much as I like the bloke, Korey Smith isn't the saviour for our Midfield imo...never was a top 6 team midfielder even at his best. Great Professional, but for what fans are expecting...top 6... he's not the up grade in quality we need imo.

At the moment we are playing in a strange way. We work well as a team as a defensive unit...pressing and defending in an organised manner and shape, with structure.

Offensively, especially into the opponent's half, we play like a bunch of individuals that look like they've never played together.

Movement is all over the place. Regardless of who we play and how we set up.

Weimann running everywhere...but more often than not towards the corner flags...which is useless when playing one up front.

Not enough players willing to get into the final third, which indicates they don't trust what happens next when we lose possession.

Odowda weak...Brownhill looking 'shackled'...Palmer same thing wherever on the pitch, head down, try and turn two opponents...careless and goes missing...not worth two sublime passes a game. 

Eliasson...hop, skip, ping into box. End of. Nothing else.

Famara scrapping for everything.

Imo we have at least four players a match not performing as they should, regardless of who we play or formation.

Really not impressed with our understanding and movement offensively or ability to create scoring chances.

We are physically weak offensively as well. So easily pushed off the ball.

I normally respect  your opinion. but................Eliasson.....hop,skip. ping into the box. End of, Nothing Else.............Sorry to be glib?  But thats just simplistic Boll Axe!

Archived