Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
daored

Grant

Appreciate Huddersfield were poor today, but think this guy should be a serious option for us in January. 

Took his goal well and was busy throughout the game. Maybe not got the build of Afobe but could be an option 

Just now, daored said:

Appreciate Huddersfield were poor today, but think this guy should be a serious option for us in January. 

Took his goal well and was busy throughout the game. Maybe not got the build of Afobe but could be an option 

Thought Huddersfield looked good today to be honest. We just looked even better.

He is a quality striker. I imagine wages may be a problem and transfer fee. Would like him for sure though.

• Like 3

Good player but not a serious target due to his contract being a player in his first full season there. He was roughly 5m when they bought him so don’t think a team with some parachute money would sell a young striker on a long contract for an amount we could afford.

• Like 3

His talent was so obvious at Charlton I was astonished a bigger Prem team didn't sign him when Huddersfield did. Wouldn't fancy our chances of getting him now.

Having said that, despite the focus being solely on signing a striker we have as many goals as Fulham, who have Mitrovic. Our problem is letting in too many goals.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Thought Huddersfield looked good today to be honest. We just looked even better.

He is a quality striker. I imagine wages may be a problem and transfer fee. Would like him for sure though.

Really I thought they were awful besides a couple of attacks which you would expect from an ex premiership side . But I agree we were class 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, daored said:

He was someone I wanted us to try and sign before he went to Huddersfield.

Going to be a lot more expensive to get him now.

36 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

At one point, I thought we would go on to score a few more than we did.

I don’t think they looked that good at all.

19 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Dream on guys and gals. Dream on. 

When he leaves them it will be for bigger things than us I’m afraid. Probably third best striker in this league 

Agreed. Superb movement. Also thought Bacuna looked useful, an upgrade on Palmer probably. If the Crowley brothers sort them out defensively, which on today’s evidence is some job, they will cause future opponents problems.

5 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

After? ....:yawn:

Mitrovic?

I know that we had him watched a few times when he was at Charlton. 
I believe he had a few ‘off field’ issues, which probably held us back from spending the sort of money that was gonna be required to get him. 

58 minutes ago, daored said:

thought he was their threat in my pre-match thread.

E512F459-32D6-4D71-82A2-0747A70C9054.thumb.jpeg.d8128ebec2c09a36c5172826b467a1ef.jpeg

Ridiculous that we missed out on Watkins...........that was substandard scouting, and  quite unbelieveable that  we lost out to Brentford for such an  exceptional talent who was quite literally on our doorstep.  While we were watching Diony...he slipped through our fingers, to this day I cannot conceive that we were so remiss.............£1.8 million!

• Like 1

Just now, maxjak said:

Ridiculous that we missed out on Watkins...........that was substandard scouting, and  quite unbelieveable that  we lost out to Brentford for such an  exceptional talent who was quite literally on our doorstep.  While we were watching Diony...he slipped through our fingers, to this day I cannot conceive that we were so remiss.............£1.8 million!

Of course we scouted him. My understanding is that Exeter wanted £1m more from us than the fee they subsequently accepted from Brentford. There doesn't seem to be a good relationship between the clubs for some reason.

• Thanks 1

Not substandard scouting mate. I can 100% assure you. He was watched many many times and was highly recommended every time. 
Now, I’m not casting any sort of inference but instead of signing Watkins we signed Cod. Think about where Cod came from and that’ll give you the answer as to why the scouts many assessments and wholehearted recommendations were turned down. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Of course we scouted him. My understanding is that Exeter wanted £1m more from us than the fee they subsequently accepted from Brentford. There doesn't seem to be a good relationship between the clubs for some reason.

Yes, you can’t blame the scouts....waits for @Harry to chime in.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Not substandard scouting mate. I can 100% assure you. He was watched many many times and was highly recommended every time. 
Now, I’m not casting any sort of inference but instead of signing Watkins we signed Cod. Think about where Cod came from and that’ll give you the answer as to why the scouts many assessments and wholehearted recommendations were turned down. 

Ha ha....your post beat mine!

Edited by Davefevs

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Wonder what he is worth now?.............£10 - £15 mill,   I don't care if Exeter hated us, we should have signed him.  I saw him play twice for Exeter, and even though I was an amateur footballer and a sub standard coach, I  could see he was going to be an exceptional talent.

• Like 1

Just now, maxjak said:

Wonder what he is worth now?.............£10 - £15 mill,   I don't care if Exeter hated us, we should have signed him.  I saw him play twice for Exeter, and even though I was an amateur footballer and a sub standard coach, I  could see he was going to be an exceptional talent.

Harry has given the inside track. It is certainly harder to sign a player from a club with which you have a bad relationship. Hence the upping of the price as I was given to understand.

The only other comment I would add is that I can imagine what the reaction would have been on here if we had paid close to £3m for a League 2 player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Harry has given the inside track. It is certainly harder to sign a player from a club with which you have a bad relationship. Hence the upping of the price as I was given to understand.

The only other comment I would add is that I can imagine what the reaction would have been on here if we had paid close to £3m for a League 2 player.

Bigger sell on percentage from Brentford too I think....which Exeter thought Brentford would achieve for them.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Bigger sell on percentage from Brentford too I think....which Exeter thought Brentford would achieve for them.

I can see that as at the time we had not built a reputation for improving players and selling them on for a big profit.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not only that but very much a ‘relationship’ thing between Brentford & Exeter. There was a full trust that Ollie would be looked after much better. He was keen on London and Tisdale set him up with some work experience at Ted Baker in London to make sure the kid stayed grounded and Bees were all in favour and helped / encouraged this. 
They put in so much more ground work. We were just blasé about it all. As mentioned earlier, someone at the club was more keen to sign Cod instead - for their own personal reasons and went against ALL recommendations. 

By the way - it was also recommended at that time that if we were gonna take someone from Oxford that it ought to be Lundstrom. Whatever happened to him 🤔 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, RedDave said:

Dream on guys and gals. Dream on. 

When he leaves them it will be for bigger things than us I’m afraid. Probably third best striker in this league 

Are you thinking the top two are Mitrovic and Bowen? 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

I know that we had him watched a few times when he was at Charlton. 
I believe he had a few ‘off field’ issues, which probably held us back from spending the sort of money that was gonna be required to get him. 

He was involved in something when he was about 16 I think.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Playing knock out Ginger? Not handing in homework? Smoking behind the bike sheds?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

If it was drinking cider in the park trying to look cool .... I stand with him! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

If it was going over to Cater Road and ...  uh, no forget that, nothing happened, honest

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Won't be available in January IMO.

Anyone is available if the price is right.  Their is always a point when silly money wins over common sense even if club initially are not of a mind to sell   SL and team will not pay silly money mind

Just now, DT The Optimist said:

Anyone is available if the price is right.  Their is always a point when silly money wins over common sense even if club initially are not of a mind to sell   SL and team will not pay silly money mind

Well yeah, this is true- but given the profits Huddersfield made in the PL and the parachute payments- they seem quite sensibly run, I suppose they don't need to accept for him and probably won't- how I should have phrased it- one of their better players certainly.

However yeah, in theory silly money could get him or anyone but I don't really see it with Grant in January.

28 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Playing knock out Ginger? Not handing in homework? Smoking behind the bike sheds?

28 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He was arrested in Ibiza when he was 20.

I thought it was longer ago than it actually was.

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Mitrovic and Watkins. 

I won’t make the obvious comment about Marley - yep, Ollie is class, is he a forward or an attacking midfielder? Or pretty much both I suppose ...

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

He was arrested in Ibiza when he was 20.

I thought it was longer ago than it actually was.

Fair enough James - although I went to Ibiza around that age, and loads of Brits were being arrested for pretty much nothing ...

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough James - although I went to Ibiza around that age, and loads of Brits were being arrested for pretty much nothing ...

Wasn't saying I wouldn't have him.

I was actually suggesting him before his Huddersfield move, but just tried to expand on what was said about his off field issues.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Wasn't saying I wouldn't have him.

I was actually suggesting him before his Huddersfield move, but just tried to expand on what was said about his off field issues.

I do remember you suggesting him a while back - he’s certainly a fine footballer ...

6 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Not heard the phrase Knock out Ginger for nigh on 30 years. Takes I back!

Yeah, the term to knock one out has sort of taken on another meaning as time has progressed

27 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I won’t make the obvious comment about Marley - yep, Ollie is class, is he a forward or an attacking midfielder? Or pretty much both I suppose ...

This season he’s played centre forward every game he’s played