Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

JonDolman

Diedhiou and Weimann

I have often been critical of them as a partnership, as they have rarely played well together. Today they were both very good.

Interesting last time I thought they looked very good was against WBA last season when we had Brownhill and Eliasson both wide, and switching positions with Weimann - same as today.

I guess when you have arguably our 2 most dangerous attacking players in Eliasson and Brownhill floating around near them, it raises their game.

Fam has become so much better in recent games. His touch seems so consistent now. His hold up play is fantastic and such a handful. So aggressive near the end too, bumping into defenders in the corner.

Weimann took his goal superbly well. I think LJ should have made the tactical switch to a 4141 sooner than he did. But once we did, Fam continued to look excellent right up till the end of the game in the lone role, and didn't tire like he has in the past.

Weimann still running his socks off but on the left. We saw the game out comfortably once LJ had made those changes.

Much more promising up top

• Like 16

Thought Fam could have done a lot more today tbh.

Did what you said, but so lazy on the slide and getting across the defenders in the box.

On five occasions Rowe had the ball played across the back to him... Eliasson made the run down the flank which attracted two defenders on him. Where was Fam...still over on the right...not moving across once. Lazy. What option does Rowe have? He has to stop, turn back, and go back across the defense again. As there were no other options. Then the fans moan at him.

Fam I thought was bang average in the final third for a main threat forward.

• Like 2
  • Rovers 10

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Did what you said, but so lazy on the slide and getting across the defenders in the box.

On five occasions Rowe had the ball played across the back to him... Eliasson made the run down the flank which attracted two defenders on him. Where was Fam...still over on the right...not moving across once. Lazy. What option does Rowe have? He has to stop, turn back, and go back across the defense again. As there were no other options. Then the fans moan at him.

I thought Fam was fantastic at doing what people would typically expect from a target man striker. An absolute handful.

What you say about Rowe, it will be interesting to see if Dasilva struggles when he returns with Fam not having great movement. I predict he won't struggle much at all in advancing up the left side. 

I'm not even sure if Fam was supposed to be going wide a lot today. It seemed to me like he was mainly staying central which seemed to work better than when he's running out wide a lot. He seemed to have more in the tank at the end of the game too than usual.

26 minutes ago, spudski said:

Totally agree with this ... he certainly splits views, he could still be out there and he wouldn’t have scored ... several times on his heels rather than breaking at pace into the box ... no one for Eliasson to cross to, and the time he did break into it at a jog he went the wrong side of the defenders rather than getting in front of them... 

his hold up play (Mid field) has improved incredibly and defensively he helps loads, but as a striker I personally think he isn’t and won’t be the answer ... 

• Like 3
  • Rovers 2

45 minutes ago, spudski said:

I appreciate context is everything 

But imagine after scoring 5 at home, logging on after work, and this was the first comment you saw. 

• Like 4

What I did like about Fam was how quickly he released the ball.

Normally he’d bring it down, take 3 more touches to get in under control, then look up and by then he’s lost the ball.

Today, was control, look up, pass.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, spudski said:

His football intelligence isn’t the best in the box as we all know. However , outside the box , where he normally doesn’t run the channels , he didn’t have to because of having the two wide forwards making runs off him. I’ve been very critical of fam in the past but I thought he brought Eliasson and wiemann into game very well and his deft touch to play wiemann in for the 5th goal was class. I tend to agree with you on most things spudski but I think your being harsh here. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Thought Fam bought others into the play today. Unfortunate with the offside ‘goal’.

Was he off?  I was concentrating on Weimann’s shot.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Was he off?  I was concentrating on Weimann’s shot.

Didn`t look it to me. I was right in line and it looked like he hit it onto the post and it came back to him. I would need to see it again though, heat of the moment and all that...…...

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I have often been critical of them as a partnership, as they have rarely played well together. Today they were both very good.

Interesting last time I thought they looked very good was against WBA last season when we had Brownhill and Eliasson both wide, and switching positions with Weimann - same as today.

I guess when you have arguably our 2 most dangerous attacking players in Eliasson and Brownhill floating around near them, it raises their game.

Fam has become so much better in recent games. His touch seems so consistent now. His hold up play is fantastic and such a handful. So aggressive near the end too, bumping into defenders in the corner.

Weimann took his goal superbly well. I think LJ should have made the tactical switch to a 4141 sooner than he did. But once we did, Fam continued to look excellent right up till the end of the game in the lone role, and didn't tire like he has in the past.

Weimann still running his socks off but on the left. We saw the game out comfortably once LJ had made those changes.

Fam didn't start at WBA last season, he actually came on at ht with cod and they both had a good half

2 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

Fam didn't start at WBA last season, he actually came on at ht with cod and they both had a good half

Think he means the home game when we went 4222

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Good post JD - I think we’ve both been in agreement in the past that sticking Weimann out wide doesn’t work, playing him up front on his own with no service from the flanks doesn’t work and playing him up front with Fammy and KP behind them also doesn’t work because Fammy doesn’t read KP intentions and gets in Andi’s way, stifling his effectiveness  - but, as you say, playing Fammy and Andi up front with decent deliveries from wide players does work because Andi is such an intelligent footballer and his guile makes space for Fammy. 

And it’s no secret that I’ve never been a huge fan of Fammy but his lay-off in the build up to Andi’s goal was class ... he’s obviously feeling quite confident right now, a priceless commodity for a striker ...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I thought Fam was fantastic at doing what people would typically expect from a target man striker. An absolute handful.

What you say about Rowe, it will be interesting to see if Dasilva struggles when he returns with Fam not having great movement. I predict he won't struggle much at all in advancing up the left side. 

I'm not even sure if Fam was supposed to be going wide a lot today. It seemed to me like he was mainly staying central which seemed to work better than when he's running out wide a lot. He seemed to have more in the tank at the end of the game too than usual.

I think fam had a better game then he normally does but wouldnt say fanstastic he looked like a wanted to prove a point at times and had abit fight in him Shame his goal was disallowed but His movement is lazy and he doesn’t want to run in the channels sometimes it sticks to him other times he loses it just missed a goal from the big guy today think he needs one then strikers who needs abit of love and confidence from the manager 

1 minute ago, Highguy said:

I think fam had a better game then he normally does but wouldnt say fanstastic he looked like a wanted to prove a point at times and had abit fight in him Shame his goal was disallowed but His movement is lazy and he doesn’t want to run in the channels sometimes it sticks to him other times he loses it just missed a goal from the big guy today think he is one them strikers who needs abit of love and confidence from the manager 

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Good post JD - I think we’ve both been in agreement in the past that sticking Weimann out wide doesn’t work, playing him up front on his own with no service from the flanks doesn’t work and playing him up front with Fammy and KP behind them also doesn’t work because Fammy doesn’t read KP intentions and gets in Andi’s way, stifling his effectiveness  - but, as you say, playing Fammy and Andi up front with decent deliveries from wide players does work because Andi is such an intelligent footballer and his guile makes space for Fammy. 

And it’s no secret that I’ve never been a huge fan of Fammy but his lay-off in the build up to Andi’s goal was class ... he’s obviously feeling quite confident right now, a priceless commodity for a striker ...

One of the few times I’ve witnessed them look like a pairing.  Not tonnes of interchange between them (only 1 pass), but as the goal showed, one showing so the other could get the pass that came after.  They filled holes / spaces the other left for them.

Encouraging.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, spudski said:

Sorry Spudski... I know that you like to pass yourself off as one of the more educated posters on here, but this just annoys me. On a day when even the man's critics are finally acknowledging his contribution, you have to post this.

Makes me sick to be honest.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Superjack said:

Sorry Spudski... I know that you like to pass yourself off as one of the more educated posters on here, but this just annoys me. On a day when even the man's critics are finally acknowledging his contribution, you have to post this.

Makes me sick to be honest.

What's wrong with constructive criticism and wanting him to do more.

Yes he contributed, but he could have had far more influence imo.

Huddersfield were their for the taking...and I mean an absolute thumping, and we took the gas off from the front.

I chose to watch Fam closely yesterday. He was very reactive rather than Pro active. He was never the one to start a press...he always followed a trigger set by his own player. On many occasions he followed Weimann, Brownhill or Messengos movement...he never set it himself.

His movement in the final third was very static. 

He looked better to fans, because he actually did the basic of controlling and holding the ball up when it came to him. A basic that should be expected of any forward at this level.

He didn't win many headers, he wasn't aggressive enough in the final third, never got across the two centre backs, most of the time standing between the two waiting for the ball to come to him, rather than moving to find space.

I could go on...

Sorry...he had a better game by some of his poor performances in the past when it came to controlling and passing the ball, but yesterday he got away with murder imo, because so many around him played well, and Huddersfield were poor at the back.

Against a better team it would have shown up more.

Nagy and Massengo made a huge difference...that allowed Weimann and Brownhill the freedom into more dangerous areas without worrying about the counter.

Even Elliason was more structured in shape when out of the ball.

You may see it as harsh...but it was a bang average performance by him at this level, I'd be expecting more tenacity, reading of the game and far better movement.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, spudski said:

Huddersfield were their for the taking...and I mean an absolute thumping, and we took the gas off from the front.

I chose to watch Fam closely yesterday. He was very reactive rather than Pro active. He was never the one to start a press...he always followed a trigger set by his own player. On many occasions he followed Weimann, Brownhill or Messengos movement...he never set it himself.

He looked better to fans, because he actually did the basic of controlling and holding the ball up when it came to him. A basic that should be expected of any forward at this level.

He didn't win many headers, he wasn't aggressive enough in the final third, never got across the two centre backs, most of the time standing between the two waiting for the ball to come to him, rather than moving to find space.

I could go on...

Sorry...he had a better game by some of his poor performances in the past when it came to controlling and passing the ball, but yesterday he got away with murder imo, because so many around him played well, and Huddersfield were poor at the back.

Nagy and Massengo made a huge difference...that allowed Weimann and Brownhill the freedom into more dangerous areas without worrying about the counter.

You may see it as harsh...but it was a bang average performance by him at this level, I'd be expecting more tenacity, reading of the game and far better movement.

I think its good you want every player having a perfect game honestly I do... but from what I've heard Fam is the best striker we have right now to partner Weimann right now.

On another day Fam would of scored of stayed  onside for  the offside goal and the headed chance would of gone on target at least and maybe gone in! 

I  do however think we should definetly bring another striker in Jan to push the team to get top 6! Even if Afobe is due back earlier than expected.

Edited by miketh2nd
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, spudski said:

I could go on...

A basic that no other of our fit strikers can do - So not that basic!

Do you think Weimann can hold it up with his back to powerful 6 foot 2 strikers? He hasn't the strength to do that.

18 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

I think its good you want every player having a perfect game honestly I do... but from what I've heard Fam is the best striker we have right now to partner Weimann right now.

On another day Fam would of scored of stayed  onside for  the offside goal and the headed chance would of gone on target at least and maybe gone in! 

I  do however think we should definetly bring another striker in Jan to push the team to get top 6! Even if Afobe is due back earlier than expected.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

A basic that no other of our fit strikers can do - So not that basic!

Do you think Weimann can hold it up with his back to powerful 6 foot 2 strikers? He hasn't the strength to do that.

Don't get me wrong...he did some basic stuff well. But that should be expected at this level. Have our expectations become so low, that we are now highly praising the basics?

Tbh...when I saw our team line up yesterday, I said we'd win comfortably.

It was balanced and had players that could do the basics well without fear and freedom.

I've said to those who know me...we need to start with Nagy and Massengo in the team. Those two create the foundation, rock and security for others to play their natural game with freedom.

What a difference in Brownhill because of it...and Weimann. 

This gave us a defensive foundation from which we could create better scoring chances without fear of retribution.

Fam did ok...but he could have done a lot more. 

Against a better side it would have shown up more.

I now hope we spend a week working with that set up and polish it, and hit Fulham with it...as it's basics and continuity that we need imo.

Funnily speaking to someone yesterday, he'd spoken to one of the first team senior regulars during the week, and he'd said in his opinion, it was a lack of continuity in personel and set up that had contributed to poor performances.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Don't get me wrong...he did some basic stuff well. But that should be expected at this level. Have our expectations become so low, that we are now highly praising the basics?

Tbh...when I saw our team line up yesterday, I said we'd win comfortably.

It was balanced and had players that could do the basics well without fear and freedom.

I've said to those who know me...we need to start with Nagy and Massengo in the team. Those two create the foundation, rock and security for others to play their natural game with freedom.

What a difference in Brownhill because of it...and Weimann. 

This gave us a defensive foundation from which we could create better scoring chances without fear of retribution.

Fam did ok...but he could have done a lot more. 

Against a better side it would have shown up more.

I now hope we spend a week working with that set up and polish it, and hit Fulham with it...as it's basics and continuity that we need imo.

Funnily speaking to someone yesterday, he'd spoken to one of the first team senior regulars during the week, and he'd said in his opinion, it was a lack of continuity in personel and set up that had contributed to poor performances.

Holding a ball up like Fam has done in recent games is not a basic thing when others can't do it.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Holding a ball up like Fam has done in recent games is not a basic thing when others can't do it.

It's what he's employed to do. Who else have we employed to do that?

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

If it's a basic thing then Weimann, Semenyo, Rodri...basically any striker should be able to do such a basic thing as Fam!

36 minutes ago, spudski said:

Bet the club are pleased with the player making those comments to fans. 

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

If it's a basic thing then Weimann, Semenyo, Rodri...basically any striker should be able to do such a basic thing as Fam!

They are all different types of strikers.

All with different attributes. 

Listen... I'm not having a go about Fam...he did the basics as he should do.

Other parts of his game he could massively improve on... that's what I'm pointing out.

Perhaps I see things differently.

I was more angry at us taking our foot off the gas and allowing Huddersfield to score, than I was the WBA performance.

I read this forum and results very much reflect what's said.

We won yesterday...but on another day, the flaws I point out, would have been seen as well if against a better team.

No point sitting on laurels and basking in Victory if improvement can be seen.

That attitude will soon bite you in the arse 😉

1 minute ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Bet the club are pleased with the player making those comments to fans. 

It wasn't said to a 'fan'.

16 minutes ago, spudski said:

We have conceded 27 goals in 19 games - only the bottom four plus Huddersfield and QPR have conceded more - I wonder if your critical focus is aimed at the wrong end of the pitch?

Just now, Moments of Pleasure said:

We have conceded 27 goals in 19 games - only the bottom four plus Huddersfield and QPR have conceded more - I wonder if your critical focus is aimed at the wrong end of the pitch?

If you've read my posts over this season, my constructive criticism has been balanced at both ends of the pitch. Eye's and stats don't lie.

31 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yes, it is not a basic thing.  Playing back to goal and receiving balls at all heights, from all angles, at different paces is not easy against typically Neanderthal CBs.

When I came back from my ACL I played the vast majority of the limited number of games I did play up top, as your ‘target man’.  You need to be a sync with the passer.  When that isn’t quite right you are trying to get it under when you’ve either set yourself too early and an easy target for your marker (and get whacked whilst the defender wins the ball)  or too late and you’re on the move when receiving it, making it a bit more difficult.

The “Basics” of being able to control the ball which happen around all other areas of the pitch are very different to when receiving back to goal.  It’s a tough role.

65676063-F869-450D-82FC-D87C6E48F852.thumb.jpeg.de2be14f1fc2bfe732a17974fd1dc546.jpeg

20 minutes ago, spudski said:

But you seem to be insinuating that he should be able to achieve the “basics” far more regularly than he does.  I think that unrealistic.  He gave us a really good base to build our attacks yesterday.  Just watched a few bits back on Wyscout, and it reflects the view of most of his performance yesterday.

He wasn’t the catalyst for going safe after 65 minutes.  He put in a decent shift yesterday, up to that point.

I’m as critical as the next man about Fam, but I’m more than happy to defend the level of performance I’ve seen from him in recent appearances.  He’s set a higher bar for himself, which is now at the right level.  He was going through the motions a bit earlier this season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, it is not a basic thing.  Playing back to goal and receiving balls at all heights, from all angles, at different paces is not easy against typically Neanderthal CBs.

When I came back from my ACL I played the vast majority of the limited number of games I did play up top, as your ‘target man’.  You need to be a sync with the passer.  When that isn’t quite right you are trying to get it under when you’ve either set yourself too early and an easy target for your marker (and get whacked whilst the defender wins the ball)  or too late and you’re on the move when receiving it, making it a bit more difficult.

The “Basics” of being able to control the ball which happen around all other areas of the pitch are very different to when receiving back to goal.  It’s a tough role.

65676063-F869-450D-82FC-D87C6E48F852.thumb.jpeg.de2be14f1fc2bfe732a17974fd1dc546.jpeg

But you seem to be insinuating that he should be able to achieve the “basics” far more regularly than he does.  I think that unrealistic.  He gave us a really good base to build our attacks yesterday.  Just watched a few bits back on Wyscout, and it reflects the view of most of his performance yesterday.

He wasn’t the catalyst for going safe after 65 minutes.  He put in a decent shift yesterday, up to that point.

I’m as critical as the next man about Fam, but I’m more than happy to defend the level of performance I’ve seen from him in recent appearances.  He’s set a higher bar for himself, which is now at the right level.  He was going through the motions a bit earlier this season. 

Hi mate...I really do think yesterday's performance by Fan should be the minimum we should be expecting of him.

He's set his bar so low in the past, that are you really suggesting his performance yesterday, is one that is unrealistic to be expected every week?

His basics at this level have been dire in past months. No control, incorrect body positions to receive ball, poor distribution, poor movement and reading of game etc etc.

He's improved on the basics that should be expected of a player of his perceived calibre.

For months the guy has been slated for poor basics and rightly so.

He's improved those basics...and he's now had enough time in this league to know what to do. We should be expecting those basics every week imo. Because at this level...those basics are what we are paying those £millions for.

It seems the bar was set so low, that now he's improved his basics to what should be the norm at this level, that it's clouded the judgement of expectations.

For me, that performance from him yesterday, should be the minimum we expect each week.

He put in a shift, whilst doing the basics right. With room for improvement in other aspects of his game.

An expectation we should be wanting every game from a Professional at this level.

If we are now crowing about a pro at this level doing the basics right, then something is seriously wrong.

Not a slate at Fan...I want him to keep improving.

But are we now giving out Brownie points for doing the basics of expectations! 😉

• Like 2
  • Rovers 1

Having watched Joelinton (who Newcastle got for 40 million) look absolutely useless yesterday, it makes me realise just how good value Fam was a meagre 5. 

The guy isn’t perfect, and there’s plenty he needs to work on but he does a lot of good stuff and is integral for the team, the West Brom game highlighted that

6 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Having watched Joelinton (who Newcastle got for 40 million) look absolutely useless yesterday, it makes me realise just how good value Fam was a meagre 5. 

The guy isn’t perfect, and there’s plenty he needs to work on but he does a lot of good stuff and is integral for the team, the West Brom game highlighted that

I listened to a fair of it on the radio, and Stuart Pearce was banging on about how poor he (Joelinton - £40m Joelinton!!) was at holding the ball-up. He was a bit like a broken record.  But I think it goes to show that playing back to goal is not an easy job.

Fammy hasn’t set the bar low at all - as I always say...he’s got a reasonable goal scoring record and at home especially he often has a thankless task due to the way LJ sets up the team. Away from home he has been much better in general. 

He’s never going to any better than he is now but he’s currently the best we have and certainly has helped the team become playoff contenders. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I listened to a fair of it on the radio, and Stuart Pearce was banging on about how poor he (Joelinton - £40m Joelinton!!) was at holding the ball-up. He was a bit like a broken record.  But I think it goes to show that playing back to goal is not an easy job.

Definitely, the Newcastle fans around me were all complaining about what a poor piece of business he’s been. 

Holding the ball up with 2 lumps trying to get at it is tough, but Joelinton had Stones and Fernandinho battling to get on it, shouldn’t have been too difficult!

20 hours ago, grifty said:

What I did like about Fam was how quickly he released the ball.

Normally he’d bring it down, take 3 more touches to get in under control, then look up and by then he’s lost the ball.

Today, was control, look up, pass.

I’ve also noticed this.

But not just yesterday, this season in general.

I’ve been quite impressed with Fam recently, he’s looking more slick and savvy with his play.

• Like 1

I know he’s been shite but I’d like to see Semenyo alongside Diedhiou as Fam looked a different player when they were together. 

I also hope Semenyo gets a shot in this system alongside Weimann. 

Moral of the story I want Semenyo to play more. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 2

22 hours ago, spudski said:

Spudski & I discussed this whilst waiting for the AG4 yesterday, and walking the last 2 stops after the bus gave up the ghost (must have been overcome by us scoring 5!!).

Whilst I don't fully agree with him re FD, as I thought he had one of his better games at home recently, what we did agree on was that in his few games for us Benik Afobe showed the level that FD needs to aspire to. Greater game awareness, much better hold up play,  better quickness of thought and quicker off the mark. This is the standard that FD needs to aspire to to make a major contribution this season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shtanley said:

I know he’s been shite but I’d like to see Semenyo alongside Diedhiou as Fam looked a different player when they were together. 

I also hope Semenyo gets a shot in this system alongside Weimann. 

Moral of the story I want Semenyo to play more. 

To be fair with that midfield 4 playing like that, I fancy anyone to play better than they previously were up front. And Semenyo did play well against Preston, and wasn't at all bad at Brentford too. He will get more opportunities with all the games coming up I am sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Yes, according to that, his performance rating this season is averaging lower than Mitrovic, Bowen and Watkins (no surprises there) but higher than Nhaki Wells, Lewis Grabban and Huddersfield’s Karlan Grant!

Not too shabby!!! Keep it up Fam!!

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Are you referring to the “style of play” / strengths / weakness stuff?

If so, I don’t think many of us disagree over the season, but I think his performances from Charlton onwards have been much better in the main.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Does your stats package show the yards covered during the match?