IGNORED

Now fun begins for next Saturday

DT The Optimist

Well well well. ? on another thread  I posted it’s not often I have left the Gate on a Match Day with 3 points and a feeling of well being  after seeing a polished decent performance to go with a win and on cue that’s what happened at 4 .50pm. A win and good  thrilling performance. Bloody hell!  What’s happened 

So that now puts the cat in with the proverbial pigeons. What is LJ going to do next weekend  v Fulham.  I reckon LJ is a  tinker man.  Will he stick with a 442 or what ever it was today, that perhaps 99% of us  want him to do,  to ensure we take the game to Fulham, or will that leave us to open and will it be another 351 sort of fare to nullify Mitrovic and co. ?

That’s why LJ earns his corn .  Me, I would leave it as it is, injuries etc allowing.  Again an interesting week and see how he sets us up Saturday.  

COYR as a glass finest red slips down.  

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Front 6 unchanged imho.  Kalas or Moore could come back in....Kalas against his former club.

Kalas If fit yes, for Baker?  Williams has been superb, or will he bring in TM  who is our best ‘footballing’ centre half   I hope  LJ sticks with yesterday’s style line up. And his Tom-bola stays  away for rest of the season. 

Things might have been different if Campbell hadn’t gone off injured. Not trying to detract from a fantastic performance and result, but just just being realistic. Huddersfield still managed to score 2 against us without him. 

Fulham will be completely different. I’d be very surprised (and delighted) if we could put 5 past them - but would not bet against THEM scoring. 

LJ will probably make changes to try and counter where he perceives Fulham’s strengths to be. Some call this ‘tinkering’ and others might call it ‘tactics’. 

I guess what I’m trying to say is that keeping the same squad and formation IS what I would do, but it’s not without it’s risks, so if LJ changes things I won’t be too upset. He knows best (most of the time!!)

I do think Elliasson should start though.........

32 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Things might have been different if Campbell hadn’t gone off injured. Not trying to detract from a fantastic performance and result, but just just being realistic. Huddersfield still managed to score 2 against us without him. 

Fulham will be completely different. I’d be very surprised (and delighted) if we could put 5 past them - but would not bet against THEM scoring. 

LJ will probably make changes to try and counter where he perceives Fulham’s strengths to be. Some call this ‘tinkering’ and others might call it ‘tactics’. 

I guess what I’m trying to say is that keeping the same squad and formation IS what I would do, but it’s not without it’s risks, so if LJ changes things I won’t be too upset. He knows best (most of the time!!)

He has said in the past we get over run in midfield  with only 3,but with JB AN, HNM that’s got to be our starting three ? One gets crocked  , suspended ,what ever , we have others who can slip in like Korey, Casey 

The 5 goals yesterday were very welcome but as bcfcredandwhite said above, they scored 2 without their best striker. We were ruthless with our finishing for the first hour but Huddersfield had lots of possession and they had chances to make the scoreline a little more realistic. When the euphoria settles, the realism sinks in and LJ will know there is still work to do with this squad. Don't change a winning formula is the usual mantra but we still have first choice players to come back in and we cant play them all!  LJ got it right yesterday, maybe by choice, maybe by accident, but it was great going home in the cold feeling happy and entertained. Fulham will present different problems so lets hope LJ gets it right next week as well. I wouldn't want to be picking the team for that match, although I will still have a moan if it goes wrong, and a cheer of course if he gets it right. I just hope he doesn't lose any momentum picked up from yesterday.

49 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Yep, the temptation is to keep a winning side, but you do so at the risk of ignoring the specific strengths and weaknesses of your opponent. 

I'd be surprised if we don't go back to a back 3/5 . Try and get back to what we have been doing for 18 months or so, keep it tight and try and nick a goal. Even at WBA it was individual errors (and 2 offside goals) that made it look worse than just a defeat.  Any points would be a bonus TBH.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I'd be surprised if we don't go back to a back 3/5 . Try and get back to what we have been doing for 18 months or so, keep it tight and try and nick a goal. Even at WBA it was individual errors (and 2 offside goals) that made it look worse than just a defeat.  Any points would be a bonus TBH.

But with wing backs Eliasson will not play !  and we go back to 1 shot on goal  'fare'  again in 90 minutes with an isolated striker..  Yesterday was the only time this season we looked a threat for most of the game  ?  After yesterday that midfield must surely remain the same

1 hour ago, DT The Optimist said:

But with wing backs Eliasson will not play !  and we go back to 1 shot on goal  'fare'  again in 90 minutes with an isolated striker..  Yesterday was the only time this season we looked a threat for most of the game  ?  After yesterday that midfield must surely remain the same

And yesterday we were home, against a side that are being rebuilt and still inconsistent. Next week we are away to a team expected to go up. For the last calendar  year, using that 3 CB formation , we have won more away games than anyone else. I don't think LJ will worry about attractive football, or how many shots we have, specially if we come back with a point or 3. I have been looking forward to seeing those 3 play together and I wasn't disappointed. They could all play next week, but I think we will start with the 3 centre backs.

4 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

You say things may have been different if Campbell hadn't gone off, but we can say they may have been better again for us had Afobe not been injured.

18 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

You say things may have been different if Campbell hadn't gone off, but we can say they may have been better again for us had Afobe not been injured.

That’s true - we are all vulnerable to injuries. However, we went into yesterday’s game KNOWING that Afobe was unavailable. Huddersfield had no idea Campbell would be unavailable and built their game plan assuming he’d be playing. Their game (and morale) was disrupted, whereas ours remained on course

49 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Think the way ti beat Fulham is to have a go and attack them. They are not great defensively if you press them and deny them space 

Need to shackle Mitrovic to get anything 

If that's the case, unchanged side it is!

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

If that's the case, unchanged side it is!

As others have said, stick with the same midfield and front men but Mitrovic is the danger man so LJ might opt to change the CBs around. Kalas and Moore will both be available as will be Williams, Baker and Wright. 

The strategy has to be to nullify the supply to Mitrovic and it’ll be interesting to see what line up LJ goes for.

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

As others have said, stick with the same midfield and front men but Mitrovic is the danger man so LJ might opt to change the CBs around. Kalas and Moore will both be available as will be Williams, Baker and Wright. 

The strategy has to be to nullify the supply to Mitrovic and it’ll be interesting to see what line up LJ goes for.

I can't see past Kalas and Williams for that combination of power and composure.

45 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

LJ will lose a little bit of credit in my book if he were to change the team. Kalas aside maybe. 

I suspect he won’t lose any sleep over that. Despite the result on Saturday it was evident we were too open and the outcome could have been very different. Yes it made for great entertainment but ultimately it’s the result that matters most and it is for that reason I fully expect and want to see us revert to a back 5. It may not be pretty to watch but it presents the best possible chance of coming away from the Cottage with something.   Just disappointed I won’t see us this time around having enjoyed the win last time we met. 

19 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

It’s a difficult one this as on paper (and yes the game isn’t played on that) they will beat us and we then have 2 winnable games at home.

With 3 games in a week, does LJ try and rotate squad to play a weaker side for Fulham and concentrate on getting two home wins in 4 days. 

Ideally we beat one of our promotion rivals at the same time knocking their confidence and closing the gap between us . 

Play a weaker side,  get hammered , not a great psychological  boost mind . 

I know which one I’d go for , particularly as we have a reasonable record against Fulham.

18 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Ideally we beat one of our promotion rivals at the same time knocking their confidence and closing the gap between us . 

Play a weaker side,  get hammered , not a great psychological  boost mind . 

I know which one I’d go for , particularly as we have a reasonable record against Fulham.

Agreed but then again we got hammered by WBA and came back quickly.

5 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

No doubt that the Baggies were better than us and just about deserved the win despite two offside goals and  individual mistakes...........so ‘hammered’ is not the word to describe the defeat.

27 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I have more confidence in us getting a result at Fulham than at home to Millwall. So for that reason, play the same team as Saturday(if Kalas isn’t fit) and go for the win. 

Whatever he does, we all know how football works. We win and he's a tactical genius. We lose and he's an idiot who doesn't understand his best team. I'm torn. If it is 5 at the back. I think it needs to include Kalas or Moore - otherwise I just don't think it works. If it is a 3 in midfield, I think it has to be Nagy sitting with Massengo and Brownhill playing further forward than Smith or Brownhill did against WBA. 

With a 4-4-2, Massengo and Nagy could sit deeper to protect the defence but that would need Brownhill, Eliasson and perhaps Weimann as a link all ensuring there isn't a massive space between our midfield and Diedhiou. Certainly hard to drop Eliasson to the bench after Saturday...

Archived