IGNORED

What is wrong with our defence?

cidercity1987

41 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Nice how many think that Taylor Moore is one of our best players. It was only July when 90% on here thought he was useless and we should give him to Southend and spend the Webster money in Webster II. 

I found it strange that many thought he was crap because he didn't play well a few times at 19 years of age!

Hoping the same happens with Semenyo.

41 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I found it strange that many thought he was crap because he didn't play well a few times at 19 years of age!

Hoping the same happens with Semenyo.

Exactly. I nearly lost my shit a couple of times with the Semenyo is crap brigade. Obviously the grand children of the Paul Cheesley is crap brigade and the nephews of the Matt Smith is crap brigade. 

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly. I nearly lost my shit a couple of times with the Semenyo is crap brigade. Obviously the grand children of the Paul Cheesley is crap brigade and the nephews of the Matt Smith is awful brigade. 

I think it's fair enough people saying he isn't ready yet. I think he probably is physically and technically ready, but just not mentally or tactically ready yet and needs time and more games to get there.

But for people say he is terrible, and that they can't see what he is good at is just ridiculous. He is obviously strong and quick, and can clearly shoot powerfully with both feet. People love to go way over when giving an opinion of a player they don't want in the team.

3 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Nice how many think that Taylor Moore is one of our best players. It was only July when 90% on here thought he was useless and we should give him to Southend and spend the Webster money in Webster II. 

I think he's done very well - much better than I expected and I'm very pleased for him, but do people really think he's one of our best players?

After he came on yesterday he quickly tried to dribble it out of defence and immediately lost possession, then shortly after played an awful ball to one of our players with a man on his back which got stolen.  If some of our other CBs had done that they'd be getting slated. He has the potential to be a good ball playing CB but I wouldn't call him that yet - It'll come with experience with him I'm sure, but I certainly wouldn't say he was one of our best players for now.

3 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I think he's done very well - much better than I expected and I'm very pleased for him, but do people really think he's one of our best players?

After he came on yesterday he quickly tried to dribble it out of defence and immediately lost possession, then shortly after played an awful ball to one of our players with a man on his back which got stolen.  If some of our other CBs had done that they'd be getting slated. He has the potential to be a good ball playing CB but I wouldn't call him that yet - It'll come with experience with him I'm sure, but I certainly wouldn't say he was one of our best players for now.

I think he was getting his decisions pretty spot on after a run of games with when to dribble, when to pass to a player etc.

There is an element of risk to any dribbling out of defence or passing out the back. But like you say, that pass was a bad decision, with high risk of us losing possession in dangerous position.

Hopefully just needs a run of games again, and maybe he was just trying too hard to impress when he should have played it safer.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think he was getting his decisions pretty spot on after a run of games with when to dribble, when to pass to a player etc.

There is an element of risk to any dribbling out of defence or passing out the back. But like you say, that pass was a bad decision, with high risk of us losing possession in dangerous position.

Hopefully just needs a run of games again, and maybe he was just trying too hard to impress when he should have played it safer.

Yeah I hope you're right. He needs time and experience before he can emulate the quality of Webster; if that's his aim he's certainly setting himself a very high bar which can only be a good thing.

With more game time together hopefully Nagy and Massengo will also understand what he's trying to do, and know when one of them needs to drop back and cover any gap he leaves so he can feel more comfortable moving forwards.

7 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Yeah I hope you're right. He needs time and experience before he can emulate the quality of Webster; if that's his aim he's certainly setting himself a very high bar which can only be a good thing.

With more game time together hopefully Nagy and Massengo will also understand what he's trying to do, and know when one of them needs to drop back and cover any gap he leaves so he can feel more comfortable moving forwards.

The one I noticed who was doing that earlier in the season was Pedro. He would come across to cover.

2 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Yep. Well I can't see him ever being as good as Webster at running the whole length of the pitch, as he doesn't look to have Webster's pace, but even to be close to his ability would be great!

I wonder whether when Moore gets back in and is going on those runs, if Rowe is still at left back, then maybe he can cover him. I don't think Rowe is the most attacking full back, and always impresses me more when in more narrow positions, using his strength, aggression and surprising ability to win headers. Could work well until Dasilva is back.

Archived