IGNORED

Love and Strength to the Afobe family

CyderInACan

1 hour ago, bpexile said:

Set up a fund, I'll also make a donation. It will make me feel a big closer rather than being isolated in Oz.

If this happens, can we put the fund raising page on here please? Like many others, I would like to contribute in my own small way.

Nothing can hide the pain but all we, as fans, can do is show respect, love and support. I think the 2 ideas mentioned are creditable in this instance. 

7 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I have seen suggestions of an applause on two minutes but whilst a good idea I feel it's a little underwhelming and that we as fans could do more than that. We have just over a week until our next home game so we have a bit of time to organise something to show Afobe and his family our love and support.

Personally I'd love to see a minutes applause before the game whilst the South Stand is holding up pink cards/spelling her name out. Surely we can do this? I'm more than happy to make a donation towards costs. I'd also love to see the stadium lit up in pink instead of the red. 

Lovely thought.

This is entirely a personal view, and others may disagree, but for whatever reason I just have a real struggle applauding for a minute here. Normally it is done in a way to remember and celebrate somebodies life. This is just so desperately sad I cannot see myself actually applauding as in this case it feels...wrong? Struggling to put it in to words really I suppose. The sentiment is entirely right, I get that.

9 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Lovely thought.

This is entirely a personal view, and others may disagree, but for whatever reason I just have a real struggle applauding for a minute here. Normally it is done in a way to remember and celebrate somebodies life. This is just so desperately sad I cannot see myself actually applauding as in this case it feels...wrong? Struggling to put it in to words really I suppose. The sentiment is entirely right, I get that.

I have to agree. Applause just doesn't seem right for this. A minutes silence before the game I would prefer.

4 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

Agree Super, its a 2 year old child , doesnt sit very well with me so must explore other options

Yep, agreed here too re the applause. 

The problem with a minute's silence is people will still be entering the stadium so it could possibly be spoiled.

How about asking the club to coincide with any showing of support by playing a suitable track over the tannoy? My first thought was 'all you need is love' by the Beatles. The lyrics seem apt but I'm more than happy to hear other, more suitable, suggestions.

There's nothing you can do that can't be done
Nothing you can sing that can't be sung
Nothing you can say, but you can learn how to play the game
It's easy
Nothing you can make that can't be made
No one you can save that can't be saved
Nothing you can do, but you can learn how to be you in time
It's easy
All you need is love
All you need is love
All you need is love, love
Love is all you need

I lost my fiancee suddenly, almost the same time last year and it devastated the lives of myself and our six year old daughter. But as a parent, to lose your child takes it up another level. There are no words that will numb the pain they feel right now. It's not something they will ever truly get over either, but they will eventually have to find a way to learn to live with. Thoughts are with Benik, his family and friends at this sad sad time.

5 minutes ago, Robinito said:

I lost my fiancee suddenly, almost the same time last year and it devastated the lives of myself and our six year old daughter. But as a parent, to lose your child takes it up another level. There are no words that will numb the pain they feel right now. It's not something they will ever truly get over either, but they will eventually have to find a way to learn to live with. Thoughts are with Benik, his family and friends at this sad sad time.

Awful. How tragic. Hope you and the little one are doing okay mate.

6 hours ago, RedEyez said:

Awful. How tragic. Hope you and the little one are doing okay mate.

Thanks mate. Lost everything apart from my job and had to start all over again at the age of 51. It's hard, but you have to keep trying when a child relies on you. But all that's another story. Can't imagine having to cope after the death of a child.

There is a nice item on the OS today. It turns out Ash W and Kasey were aware of the dreadful news before the game on Saturday but were asked to say nothing until afterwards and, as a lot of us thought, that explains AW`s goal `celebration` (I know that`s not the right word in the circumstances but couldn`t think what else to call it).

LJ has again stated that the club is prepared to do whatever is necessary or required to support Benik and his family and he and Dean Holden have been to see them personally.

1 minute ago, !james said:

Dean Holden tragically lost his daughter when she was 17 months old so I guess he can relate to what they are going through 

I`d forgotten that so you`re right I think - if there is anyone at the club who can relate to the pain and despair the family must be suffering at the moment it would be him.

Archived