Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

CyderInACan

Love and Strength to the Afobe family

Recommended Posts

Heartbroken. I can't think of anything that would create such sadness. I don't know how you ever recover from the loss of a child. Thoughts with Benik, his wife and family at this awful time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Awful news. :sad26:
 

Happy to organise a card as I’ve done previously with other similar things if people would like that. 

It would be nice to convey our sympathies. 

How have you done it in the past?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To show our support for Benik, I think we should sing his name at least once every game till the end of the season. 

It might just remind us how lucky we are to have the friends and family that we have.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mozo said:

It would be nice to convey our sympathies. 

How have you done it in the past?

People posted in a thread and then I printed them off and compiled them into a card to send. I did it when Gary J had his heart attack a few years back. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How utterly heartbreaking, life can seem so unfair that tragedies like this occur, and to someone who seemed so full of life, happiness and positive energy, life seems to have been additionally cruel. I hope they feel the support of those around them.

It is unimaginable the amount of grieving that Benik and his family will need to do or how they will find the strength they'll need to go on, but keeping alive the memories and affection they must have for their daughter will hopefully be their inspiration.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Football means so little in the grand scheme of things. Fair play to the sags. 

Well said Reg, just learned of this just now from a Wolves fan. In football the only time we are not equal are in the 90 minutes we play the opposition, after that we revert to being human again. One of our family has just lost one of the most precious  things God gives us ....a child. So as a family, whether we are City, Gas or any other team... we hurt and we all hurt together. I pray that Benik and his family can take solace that a lot of people  feel his loss as well. RIP Amora and may you find peace my dear little one.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only just seen this news while my 2 year old granddaughter is cuddling next to me.

Absolutely devastating for the Afobe family. I cannot imagine the pain they are going through. My thoughts and condolences are with them.

So so sad.

Edited by Frenchay Red
Wretched predictive text
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dreadful news.Condolonces to the Afobe family.As a parent I just cant comprehend how painful this must be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really do not have the words. I can't even bring myself to read the posts on this thread, it was simply too much after the first few.

I hope in time Benik will find this thread and be able to see that we are thinking of him and his family, life can be so cruel sometimes. RIP Little One

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can imagine I'd only be mirroring the messages of support both in here and the social media circles. Just so heartbreaking and devastating for the family. 

My daughter will be two on new years eve and many on here will have children, brothers and sisters, neices and nephews, grand children and so on who are the same age. It's just beyond comprehension. Gave her an extra kiss and cuddle when I put her to bed tonight. 😭😭😭

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedM said:

I really do not have the words. I can't even bring myself to read the posts on this thread, it was simply too much after the first few.

I hope in time Benik will find this thread and be able to see that we are thinking of him and his family, life can be so cruel sometimes. RIP Little One

RedM,

I’ve looked at his past teams forums and every one reflects what has been said here!

As parent I could not even image going though what is happening to the family at the moment.

I’m involved in club level football and my Club 5 years ago today suffered the loss of a young player to cancer! We had already prepared for the worse news. 

This has hit so quick the the family had had no time to prepare for it!

When the cause is know I hope that ours and his past clubs raise money for what every charity is doing good work in that area.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen suggestions of an applause on two minutes but whilst a good idea I feel it's a little underwhelming and that we as fans could do more than that. We have just over a week until our next home game so we have a bit of time to organise something to show Afobe and his family our love and support.

Personally I'd love to see a minutes applause before the game whilst the South Stand is holding up pink cards/spelling her name out. Surely we can do this? I'm more than happy to make a donation towards costs. I'd also love to see the stadium lit up in pink instead of the red. 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I have seen suggestions of an applause on two minutes but whilst a good idea I feel it's a little underwhelming and that we as fans could do more than that. We have just over a week until our next home game so we have a bit of time to organise something to show Afobe and his family our love and support.

Personally I'd love to see a minutes applause before the game whilst the South Stand is holding up pink cards/spelling her name out. Surely we can do this? I'm more than happy to make a donation towards costs. I'd also love to see the stadium lit up in pink instead of the red. 

I really like both of your ideas. I too will happily contribute financially to a display even though I won't be at the game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Awful news. :sad26:
 

Happy to organise a card as I’ve done previously with other similar things if people would like that. 

If you are, can you start a new thread?  I’d like to add a more personal message to Benik and his family. 
Thanks, Dolly

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I have seen suggestions of an applause on two minutes but whilst a good idea I feel it's a little underwhelming and that we as fans could do more than that. We have just over a week until our next home game so we have a bit of time to organise something to show Afobe and his family our love and support.

Personally I'd love to see a minutes applause before the game whilst the South Stand is holding up pink cards/spelling her name out. Surely we can do this? I'm more than happy to make a donation towards costs. I'd also love to see the stadium lit up in pink instead of the red. 

Set up a fund, I'll also make a donation. It will make me feel a big closer rather than being isolated in Oz.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bpexile said:

Set up a fund, I'll also make a donation. It will make me feel a big closer rather than being isolated in Oz.

If this happens, can we put the fund raising page on here please? Like many others, I would like to contribute in my own small way.

Nothing can hide the pain but all we, as fans, can do is show respect, love and support. I think the 2 ideas mentioned are creditable in this instance. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I have seen suggestions of an applause on two minutes but whilst a good idea I feel it's a little underwhelming and that we as fans could do more than that. We have just over a week until our next home game so we have a bit of time to organise something to show Afobe and his family our love and support.

Personally I'd love to see a minutes applause before the game whilst the South Stand is holding up pink cards/spelling her name out. Surely we can do this? I'm more than happy to make a donation towards costs. I'd also love to see the stadium lit up in pink instead of the red. 

Lovely thought.

This is entirely a personal view, and others may disagree, but for whatever reason I just have a real struggle applauding for a minute here. Normally it is done in a way to remember and celebrate somebodies life. This is just so desperately sad I cannot see myself actually applauding as in this case it feels...wrong? Struggling to put it in to words really I suppose. The sentiment is entirely right, I get that.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Lovely thought.

This is entirely a personal view, and others may disagree, but for whatever reason I just have a real struggle applauding for a minute here. Normally it is done in a way to remember and celebrate somebodies life. This is just so desperately sad I cannot see myself actually applauding as in this case it feels...wrong? Struggling to put it in to words really I suppose. The sentiment is entirely right, I get that.

 

I have to agree. Applause just doesn't seem right for this. A minutes silence before the game I would prefer.

Edited by Super
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Super said:

I have to agree. Applause just doesn't seem right for this.

Agree Super, its a 2 year old child , doesnt sit very well with me so must explore other options

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

Agree Super, its a 2 year old child , doesnt sit very well with me so must explore other options

Yep, agreed here too re the applause. 

The problem with a minute's silence is people will still be entering the stadium so it could possibly be spoiled.

How about asking the club to coincide with any showing of support by playing a suitable track over the tannoy? My first thought was 'all you need is love' by the Beatles. The lyrics seem apt but I'm more than happy to hear other, more suitable, suggestions.

There's nothing you can do that can't be done
Nothing you can sing that can't be sung
Nothing you can say, but you can learn how to play the game
It's easy
Nothing you can make that can't be made
No one you can save that can't be saved
Nothing you can do, but you can learn how to be you in time
It's easy
All you need is love
All you need is love
All you need is love, love
Love is all you need
Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lost my fiancee suddenly, almost the same time last year and it devastated the lives of myself and our six year old daughter. But as a parent, to lose your child takes it up another level. There are no words that will numb the pain they feel right now. It's not something they will ever truly get over either, but they will eventually have to find a way to learn to live with. Thoughts are with Benik, his family and friends at this sad sad time.

  • Like 9
  • Robin 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Robinito said:

I lost my fiancee suddenly, almost the same time last year and it devastated the lives of myself and our six year old daughter. But as a parent, to lose your child takes it up another level. There are no words that will numb the pain they feel right now. It's not something they will ever truly get over either, but they will eventually have to find a way to learn to live with. Thoughts are with Benik, his family and friends at this sad sad time.

Awful. How tragic. Hope you and the little one are doing okay mate.

Edited by RedEyez
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...