Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

RedLionLad

FA Cup 2019/20

We've had Rovers a couple of times in recent years but not of the Miah kind! 

I think we will get a Rovers team again but I'd rather have a PL team away. Why? So it can be a great day out, be on Telly (and, therefore, extra revenue) and dare I say it  we will lose narrowly. This will mean we can play well against the best but then concentrate on getting the promotion, without adding a long cup run which offers the prospect of injuries.

Somewhere reasonably close and if it’s away a big allocation, fed up of missing out on tickets !!

Gillingham are still in the Cup and we've not been there for a few years now. 

P'boro' away would suit me as like them, I have a PE2 postcode.

However, the priority this season is finishing as high up the table as poss, so a top Prem club away. Yes, we'll probably lose, but we get a third(?) of the gate takings to help fund January transfers and we can concentrate on the League.

1 minute ago, CyderInACan said:

Gillingham 

You posted this whilst I was still composing mine. :grr:

• Thanks 1

As I say every time this question is asked, I want the lowest ranked team in the competition at home.

I want to go through to the next round. I have no interest in being knocked out by a PL reserve team in a half empty stadium.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Anyone want Rovers in the unlikely event they dispose of fourth tier Plymouth?

No thanks, we have nothing to gain from it and everything to lose

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

Anyone want Rovers in the unlikely event they dispose of fourth tier Plymouth?

Imagine trying to get a ticket for that game ? 
it’s ok though if you’ve got a Bristol address the rovers ticket office will sell it to you ! 

• Haha 1

It's been many years since I saw City play in Devon and never have since I lived here. So Exeter or Plymouth away would be nice, though it would be a scrap for tickets, especially at Exeter.

Failing that Spurs away or someone easy at home

Liverpool or Chichester at Home.  Wouldn’t mind Spurs away at the new stadium, or Arsenal, cracking stadium.

The attendance for the Coventry v Ipswich game was 2,800. Ok played in Birmingham and a trip for Ipswich fans, but to think this was a top flight game back in the day and both teams winners of the cup in the past.

Plymouth taking 1,800 away to the Sags is one hell of a following looking at the Coventry attendance.

2 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

The attendance for the Coventry v Ipswich game was 2,800. Ok played in Birmingham and a trip for Ipswich fans, but to think this was a top flight game back in the day and both teams winners of the cup in the past.

Plymouth taking 1,800 away to the Sags is one hell of a following looking at the Coventry attendance.

Love them or hate them they do travel in numbers the s*gs with their `it`s what we do` away followings can only dream of. They`re like Norwich in that respect always taking far more than they should given their location and it being 100 miles before they get anywhere. They will take 400 or so to places like Fleetwood on a wet Tuesday in February.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Love them or hate them they do travel in numbers the s*gs with their `it`s what we do` away followings can only dream of. They`re like Norwich in that respect always taking far more than they should given their location and it being 100 miles before they get anywhere. They will take 400 or so to places like Fleetwood on a wet Tuesday in February.

You always see plenty of them at service stations when they are playing away.

Whereas, Gasheads can always be found at Police stations...

• Haha 4

Modern football problems No 327 , they do the draw we get a plum tie and they move the bloody game.
I'd love Spurs away, more so if they left it on a Saturday 3pm, doubtful though isn't it. Arsenal or Chelsea would be good, but I have a feeling, Palace home boring and tough.

43 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Yeah without a doubt the 2nd biggest team in the west country.

Always enjoyed games against Plymouth, when Home Park is completed it will be a decent stadium.

They might 2 leagues below us but the chance of playing them in a league game in the next 5 years is far greater than playing the Sags.

In fact the Rovers have more chance of playing Truro in a league game than playing at the Gate!!!

• Like 1

Don't forget that last season the kickoff times got shifted about even though we weren't on telly in the UK until the Wolves game. I imagine this season will be no different.

9 minutes ago, shelts said:

Rovers at the memorial stadium. Fancy a pint up Gloucester Road !!

Probably that's the worst draw I can think of...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JBFC II said:

No thanks, we have nothing to gain from it and everything to lose

Nothing to gain? A convincing win would be rather enjoyable, no?

Just now, Leveller said:

Nothing to gain? A convincing win would be rather enjoyable, no?

It would be but it would just re-emphasise the fact we are currently light years ahead of them. 

Imagine, however, the embarrassment if they caused a massive upset and either drew with or beat us. We wouldn’t hear the end of it...

Add to that if it’s at AG they’ll definitely try and find a way to vandalise the place and if it’s at the mem they’ll look to attack anybody wearing anything that remotely resembles red. 

Its a no from me

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

It would be but it would just re-emphasise the fact we are currently light years ahead of them. 

Imagine, however, the embarrassment if they caused a massive upset and either drew with or beat us. We wouldn’t hear the end of it...

Add to that if it’s at AG they’ll definitely try and find a way to vandalise the place and if it’s at the mem they’ll look to attack anybody wearing anything that remotely resembles red. 

Its a no from me

I totally agree we have more to lose than gain - but IF we spanked them it would be remembered for years.

On the other hand in reality it would probably a dull grim tussle like a lot of derbies!

3 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I totally agree we have more to lose than gain - but IF we spanked them it would be remembered for years.

On the other hand in reality it would probably a dull grim tussle like a lot of derbies!

True, it would! I just don’t think I could face it, for so many reasons!

25 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

And do we really want their lower league thugs kicking lumps out of Niclas, Adam & HNM all day?

They’d have to catch up with them first...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 22A said:

Gillingham are still in the Cup and we've not been there for a few years now. 

P'boro' away would suit me as like them, I have a PE2 postcode.

However, the priority this season is finishing as high up the table as poss, so a top Prem club away. Yes, we'll probably lose, but we get a third(?) of the gate takings to help fund January transfers and we can concentrate on the League.

You posted this whilst I was still composing mine. :grr:

The moral of this story: keep it brief

Rovers at home every time. I get the idea that we have nothing to gain from it, but football is all about rivalry. For me  Cardiff has nothing on Rovers - the reality is that when we play Cardiff it’s a bit livelier - completely different atmosphere to what you would get if we got Rovers.

• Like 1

Part of me would like Liverpool at home, only because the pub I use is full of plastic Liverpool fans who have never seen the play and it would amuse me no end to be less bothered about the game than they'd be.

Anyone at home works for me, but I will guess we'll get Leeds or WBA. Difficult games, none of the glamour.