IGNORED

Jack Hunt’s post match interview.

Tipps69

Sorry if this has been posted anywhere else but did anyone else notice that during his interview on Saturday that he seemed to imply that was a good thing that the shackles had been removed from the players & they were actually allowed to play with some freedom?

Maybe I’m reading too much into it but there was a definite part where when asked about the performance he comments about how good it was to be allowed to play as the players want to play (maybe paraphrasing a bit) but it would surely explain the performances this season & how we seem to of set up more than a little defensive.

I’m really hoping that the players will now be given a bit more freedom to express themselves on the pitch a bit more, Saturday was exactly what the majority of fans have been crying out for & seeing as it worked so well, hopefully we’re now going to see more of the same?

3 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Sorry if this has been posted anywhere else but did anyone else notice that during his interview on Saturday that he seemed to imply that was a good thing that the shackles had been removed from the players & they were actually allowed to play with some freedom?

Maybe I’m reading too much into it but there was a definite part where when asked about the performance he comments about how good it was to be allowed to play as the players want to play (maybe paraphrasing a bit) but it would surely explain the performances this season & how we seem to of set up more than a little defensive.

I’m really hoping that the players will now be given a bit more freedom to express themselves on the pitch a bit more, Saturday was exactly what the majority of fans have been crying out for & seeing as it worked so well, hopefully we’re now going to see more of the same?

I haven`t heard it but I would be very surprised if there hadn`t been some serious air-clearing after the Baggies debacle and maybe a few opinions aired by some players.

If so, it clearly worked as yesterday was a breath of fresh air.

14 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I haven`t heard it but I would be very surprised if there hadn`t been some serious air-clearing after the Baggies debacle and maybe a few opinions aired by some players.

If so, it clearly worked as yesterday was a breath of fresh air.

I guess I’m just a little surprised that LJ has actually set about setting us up so negatively for so much of the season, granted I haven’t been to every game but I’ve only missed a few away games this season & before yesterday, the only games I could say that we actually played ok / well we’re away at Derby & Preston. Every other game we have set-up as the away team, even at home.

But to basically hear it from one of the players, to suggest that they were basically playing against how they would like to play was a bit of an eye opener. Don’t get me wrong, it was long overdue & I don’t solely just put it down to the WBA game, it had been building for the majority of the season but results had papered over the performances & the league table certainly kept supporters quiet. I’m just hoping that now the shackles have been removed & the squad have proved how they can play that they will now be allowed a bit more freedom.

7 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I guess I’m just a little surprised that LJ has actually set about setting us up so negatively for so much of the season, granted I haven’t been to every game but I’ve only missed a few away games this season & before yesterday, the only games I could say that we actually played ok / well we’re away at Derby & Preston. Every other game we have set-up as the away team, even at home.

But to basically hear it from one of the players, to suggest that they were basically playing against how they would like to play was a bit of an eye opener. Don’t get me wrong, it was long overdue & I don’t solely just put it down to the WBA game, it had been building for the majority of the season but results had papered over the performances & the league table certainly kept supporters quiet. I’m just hoping that now the shackles have been removed & the squad have proved how they can play that they will now be allowed a bit more freedom.

I imagine the coach trip back from West Bromwich may well have been a lively one. Oh to have been a  fly on the wall!

3 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I imagine the coach trip back from West Bromwich may well have been a lively one. Oh to have been a  fly on the wall!

Yep. LJ will have called a few out on individual errors no doubt, whilst one or two may have pointed out to him that we were set up all wrong and improved after he changed it at half time

54 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Where's this interview mate? All I can find is what's on the main Site.

He doesn't imply anything on that one.

Only about remembering triggers outside of a 352 and it was pleasing to play with a higher tempo against Huddersfield.

Nothing about shackles being removed or freedom....or how the players want to play ?

55 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Haven't seen the interview but whatever the case it was refreshing to see the players looking to go forward more and attack rather than just go for possession. Seeing players running forward with the ball in full flight, with support, has been sadly missing from our home displays. If that's how they want to play, and they can do it consistently, then take the reins off Lee and lets all enjoy the ride.

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

This is turning into one of those threads where someone has read into something, where there's nothing to read...and all of a sudden it's gospel ?

Before you know it...Bristol Post headline...' Shackles off...Players revolt and demand to play their way'...?

You`ve only gone and done it now! That`s their Monday back page sorted!

18 minutes ago, spudski said:

Where's this interview mate? All I can find is what's on the main Site.

He doesn't imply anything on that one.

Only about remembering triggers outside of a 352 and it was pleasing to play with a higher tempo against Huddersfield.

Nothing about shackles being removed or freedom....or how the players want to play ?

It was me paraphrasing (because I couldn’t remember what was actually said) but it’s about just before a minute into that interview where he drops in the line of ‘when we attack like we did today’ and the look on his face & the moving away away from 3-5-2.....

Surely the players haven’t chosen to play as they have for the majority or the season so far without it being drilled into them as to how they have to play & as I said, maybe I am reading too much into it?

9 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I may be way out of line here, but I just wondered that IF the lads were told about the tradgedy they might have been motivated to do it for Benik and little Amora ?  Just a thought.

Not so sure, from the bits of read about the terrible Afobe family news, the players weren’t told until after the game. Maybe one or two that are closer to Benik knew about it beforehand but I doubt the club would of let everyone know before a game, it could of disrupted a few & could explain why KP45 wasn’t used?

12 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I may be way out of line here, but I just wondered that IF the lads were told about the tradgedy they might have been motivated to do it for Benik and little Amora ?  Just a thought.

I did wonder why Williams was pointing to the sky after his goal. Seeing the announcement I did put 2 and 2 together and assumed 4.

16 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

It was me paraphrasing (because I couldn’t remember what was actually said) but it’s about just before a minute into that interview where he drops in the line of ‘when we attack like we did today’ and the look on his face & the moving away away from 3-5-2.....

Surely the players haven’t chosen to play as they have for the majority or the season so far without it being drilled into them as to how they have to play & as I said, maybe I am reading too much into it?

Not so sure, from the bits of read about the terrible Afobe family news, the players weren’t told until after the game. Maybe one or two that are closer to Benik knew about it beforehand but I doubt the club would of let everyone know before a game, it could of disrupted a few & could explain why KP45 wasn’t used?

That sounds more like Invention than paraphrasing, to be frank. He could just as easily have meant “when we play well” rather than any tactical comment.

24 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Reading way too much into it mate imo.

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Yep. LJ will have called a few out on individual errors no doubt, whilst one or two may have pointed out to him that we were set up all wrong and improved after he changed it at half time

I didn’t think we were any better second half!

3 hours ago, Pezo said:

I did wonder why Williams was pointing to the sky after his goal. Seeing the announcement I did put 2 and 2 together and assumed 4.

I thought the players  weren’t told til after the game?  

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I didn’t think we were any better second half!

I thought the players  weren’t told til after the game?  

They must have been because Ashley has scored this season and he hasn't done that before. I know Ashley knows him from being at Stoke, but it does seem that Benik Afobe is a very, very popular guy at BCFC in any case. What a strange weekend this has been. So sad for Benik and his family, I'd love BCFC to do something for the guy but i don't know what exactly.

4 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

I’m not that surprised, when before Wednesday we’d only lost 2 league games all season..!

3 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

If you’re referring to the interview on the club website, honestly, I don’t know what you’re hearing.

He said there were a lot of mistakes by the players against W Brom, and that the game “didn’t go to plan”, and that against Forest they had a chance to take the game to them but “didn’t get the goal sadly”.  Nothing there about the plan being wrong, only that the players didn’t execute.

in relation to the Hudds game, he said it wasn’t the perfect performance, but that “we’ve played 352 a lot this season, so maybe just to flick back to that, we need to refresh our memories with a few pressing triggers, but everyone’s happy when you attack like we did today”. 

Hunt may well have his own preferences as to how he likes to play, but to conclude what you have from what he said is, to me, a drastic over-reading. Trouble with this sort of exaggeration is that it becomes “As we know  another thread, the players are  unhappy with LJ’s tactics”.  Can be dangerous stuff

4 minutes ago, bcdc said:

If you’re referring to the interview on the club website, honestly, I don’t know what you’re hearing.

He said there were a lot of mistakes by the players against W Brom, and that the game “didn’t go to plan”, and that against Forest they had a chance to take the game to them but “didn’t get the goal sadly”.  Nothing there about the plan being wrong, only that the players didn’t execute.

in relation to the Hudds game, he said it wasn’t the perfect performance, but that “we’ve played 352 a lot this season, so maybe just to flick back to that, we need to refresh our memories with a few pressing triggers, but everyone’s happy when you attack like we did today”. 

Hunt may well have his own preferences as to how he likes to play, but to conclude what you have from what he said is, to me, a drastic over-reading. Trouble with this sort of exaggeration is that it becomes “As we know  another thread, the players are  unhappy with LJ’s tactics”.  Can be dangerous stuff

And now who’s over-reading? That wasn’t what I was suggesting at all.

No, I know that.  The point behind my “Trouble is...” comment was to indicate that the fallout from what we say can get hares running, even if that wasn’t what was intended.  Could have put that bit more clearly, I admit.  

Still hold to my main point though?

Archived