IGNORED

Parallels With 1976

handsofclay

There are so many parallels between this season and the last time we achieved promotion to the top flight in 1976. It must be a good omen.

1. We had the longest serving manager in the second tier in Alan Dicks and now have that in Lee Johnson.

2. We had a goalkeeper who started his career as a defender in Ray Cashley and now have that with Daniel Bentley.

3. We had a clever young winger in Clive Whitehead and now have that in Niclas Elliason. Niclas Elliason is almost an anagram of Clive Whitehead.

4. We had a midfielder who was hear, he was there, he was every ******* where in Gerry Gow. We now have that in Han Noah Massengo. If you take the last two letters of Massengo and add the first letter but turn it upside down, it miraculously spells Gow!!!!

5. We scored a hatful of goals against a team from Yorkshire that season.

6. The President of the USA was a ********. 

7. We had the name of one of the most popular TV shows of the day in our side, Sweeney. Now we have one of the most popular TV shows of this era on our books in Louis Britton, although he's now on loan at Bath (Britains Got Talent).

8. 2 years earlier we caused a big upset in a cup competition. 

9. It was a leap year in 1976, 2020 will also be a leap year.

10. I can't think of any others and couldn't back then either.

So all bodes well.

The only thing that wasn't like this season was that we beat WBA at The Hawthorns 

5 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

If you take the last two letters of Massengo and add the first letter but turn it upside down, it miraculously spells Gow!!!!

Good effort @handsofclay but the link between Gow and Massengo is stretching it a bit. Are you, by any chance, studying on a creative writing course?

5 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Good effort @handsofclay but the link between Gow and Massengo is stretching it a bit. Are you, by any chance, studying on a creative writing course?

Both were born in Glasgow?

There might be another link between them but am struggling to see it.......................   :)

Gow.jpg.5dc6f4104ff0e29a8db91dd63a58a078.jpg

massengo.jpg.633ae88eb4e61b80e485fe7a10b07b34.jpg

13 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

There are so many parallels between this season and the last time we achieved promotion to the top flight in 1976. It must be a good omen.

1. We had the longest serving manager in the second tier in Alan Dicks and now have that in Lee Johnson.

2. We had a goalkeeper who started his career as a defender in Ray Cashley and now have that with Daniel Bentley.

3. We had a clever young winger in Clive Whitehead and now have that in Niclas Elliason. Niclas Elliason is almost an anagram of Clive Whitehead.

4. We had a midfielder who was hear, he was there, he was every ******* where in Gerry Gow. We now have that in Han Noah Massengo. If you take the last two letters of Massengo and add the first letter but turn it upside down, it miraculously spells Gow!!!!

5. We scored a hatful of goals against a team from Yorkshire that season.

6. The President of the USA was a ********. 

7. We had the name of one of the most popular TV shows of the day in our side, Sweeney. Now we have one of the most popular TV shows of this era on our books in Louis Britton, although he's now on loan at Bath (Britains Got Talent).

8. 2 years earlier we caused a big upset in a cup competition. 

9. It was a leap year in 1976, 2020 will also be a leap year.

10. I can't think of any others and couldn't back then either.

So all bodes well.

The only thing that wasn't like this season was that we beat WBA at The Hawthorns 

Ted Rogers has nothing on you.

3-2-1.

:yes:

5 minutes ago, Robinito said:

Didn't we also play in red and white? ?

White shorts is key.

In my early years supporting City we played in all red, and always struggled. It was the change to wearing white shorts that saw our fortunes turn and promotion achieved. Witness last Wednesday at West Brom - wearing red shorts we were rubbish. 

Mind you, there have been plenty of home games where we've worn white shorts and still been poor, so that's that theory out of the window!

15 minutes ago, downendcity said:

White shorts is key.

In my early years supporting City we played in all red, and always struggled. It was the change to wearing white shorts that saw our fortunes turn and promotion achieved. Witness last Wednesday at West Brom - wearing red shorts we were rubbish. 

Mind you, there have been plenty of home games where we've worn white shorts and still been poor, so that's that theory out of the window!

We last got relegated in all red !

The more I think about this the more obvious the links between 1976 and 2019 become:

Take the first two letters from Jimmy Mann’s surname; the first letter from John Shaw’s and Gerry Sweeney’s surnames;  an E from Gerry Sweeney’s name; the last letter from Trevor Tainton’s surname; the first two letters from Gerry Gow’s surname and what do you get? MASSENGO! This is uncanny 

4 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The more I think about this the more obvious the links between 1976 and 2019 become:

Take the first two letters from Jimmy Mann’s surname; the first letter from John Shaw’s and Gerry Sweeney’s surnames;  an E from Gerry Sweeney’s name; the last letter from Trevor Tainton’s surname; the first two letters from Gerry Gow’s surname and what do you get? MASSENGO! This is uncanny 

Take the last two digits from 2019 ….    19

Take the 2 away from the 9 ..                    7

Then take the 1 from the 7...                     6

Take nothing away from the 0 so forget that ..

Leaving  1976 

(indisputable proof of the very strong, almost spooky link between 1976 & 2019.. ) 

12 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Flipping heck...

This year even the postcode is the same as it was 1976...   BS3 2EJ   

Not sure about the telephone number though.

I was going to include the coincidence that we played on green grass, but the summer of 76 made a new generation of kids temporarily think grass was light brown.

34 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Ha ha, West Brom was my first thought when I saw your headline! Mind you, as I recall, they battered us more back in 1976 than they did last Wednesday. 

Clutching at straws, but I like it!

I was chatting to someone the other day and said that we always gift West Brom goals on their patch. We always make mistakes (including the wrong footwear...late 70s). He then said that he cannot recall the last time we won there. I responded with the promotion season of 75-76 with a Gerry Sweeney goal...But that we had to repel a storm of attacks of biblical proportions.

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

I’ve got to say the opening post gave me a good laugh, especially as I’ve already mentioned the similarities, but the Gow one was the one that stole it for me!

We are going up, we are going up! ?

Archived