IGNORED

Parallels With 1976

handsofclay

In 76 I was slim, a lightning quick forward in the suburban league and could keep going all night long.

Now Ive put a bit of weight on and haven't put a pair of football boots on in over 30 years. Still, 1 out of 3 ain't too bad!

Mrs Downend does now tell me  that if I'm going to keep going  all night long it might be a good idea to invest in some incontinence pants!  :)

Ah 1976....... the long hot summer

Top music from that year (from memory - no google) included:

ABBA - Knowing me knowing you

Billy Ocean - Red Light Spells Danger

Steve Miller - Abracadabra 

Stevie Wonder - Isn’t she Lovely 

what a fantastic year that was! I remember Chew Valley Lake emptying to the level where you could see the old road into Morton appear!

I remember Football Focus (if it was called that back in 1976) ran a feature on City prior to the 1-0 victory at Carlisle in March 1976.  It showed the lads being interviewed on a fishing trip.  What is the most famous running gag about a fishing trip in a British sit-com? Yes, Uncle Bryn's fishing trip with his nephew Jason in Gavin and Stacey.  What sit-com is making a long awaited return in a Christmas special this season? You guessed it, Gavin and Stacey!! Must be an omen!!

12 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

You've still got hair? Flash git! ;)

We hadn't long built a monster new stand in the mid 70's, just like now.

It's happening, it must be.

Unfortunately I’ve got more hair on my back than my head☹️

19 hours ago, downendcity said:

In 76 I was slim, a lightning quick forward in the suburban league and could keep going all night long.

Now Ive put a bit of weight on and haven't put a pair of football boots on in over 30 years. Still, 1 out of 3 ain't too bad!

Mrs Downend does now tell me  that if I'm going to keep going  all night long it might be a good idea to invest in some incontinence pants!  :)

To quote the late great Fred Wedlock:

’ when it takes you all night to do what you used to do all night..........’

from the Oldest Swinger in Town....

My own Mrs R&W now admits looking back that she should have said ‘yes’ more often - all those wasted moments!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Masala said:

1+9+7+6 = 23

2+0+1+9 = 12

12 is 52% of 23

52 will be my age at the end of the 2019/2020 season

5 minutes ago, Dianne Abbot said:

I make the first sum 395, the second one 5,234 and what does % mean?

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Only a few years before 1976, we improved the ground massively by building the Dolman Stand. Now the ground has been renovated again.

Every stand other than the South Stand has a name, so I think it's time that it is renamed after the manager who took us to the top flight.

You mean call the South Stand “The Dicks Stand”. 

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

We just need to appoint the highly rated Chinese manager, Wang, and we'll win the Champions League...

If he was manager and we won the Champions League he would be the king of Ashton Gate. I can envisage the chants ringing around the ground - “Wang King, Wang King, Wang King”

Archived